Movie Discussion

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
One of the worst ever made ….. does Nic cage owe the mafia money or something

He just keeps making terrible movies and no one knows why. Surely his agent reads these scripts and says, "no. Don't do it"

Maybe he has a bet with Samuel L. Jackson over who can make more movies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No it doesn’t. They make it “matter” by changing for muh representations. If it doesn’t matter then leave the characters alone in the established genders and race and now sexual orientation lol. Just leave it the fk alone. Be consistent though if they made already established black characters, we’d all be calling it white washing and a form of oppression to black actors having their jobs taken off them from evil whites.
Honestly they human washed these characters when they let real life humans play them. Taking jobs off animated characters FFS

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Black Panther being white would be weird because him being black is part of the character, it's a key characteristic.

There's nothing intrinsically white about Selina Kyle or Jim Gordon. I don't think it's brave, or necessary for quotas - I just don't think it matters.
They’re written as white characters. That’s part of who they are. Jim Gordon is a white Dude who came from a white family he didn’t come from the ghetto of a no show dad.
Anyways you conveniently ignored my point about superman and 007 of which both being established white characters. If you don’t have an issue with them being race swapped then you’re arguments were just straw man. You can’t have an issue with black panther being made white and not have one with two written white characters made black

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
yeah, I figure George Lucas is doing his best Marlon Brando impression following the scuttling of his once premier movie franchise by Disney

Even his ex wife came out denouncing the new movies lol. His ex wifeeee ffs lol.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They’re written as white characters. That’s part of who they are. Jim Gordon is a white Dude who came from a white family he didn’t come from the ghetto of a no show dad.
Anyways you conveniently ignored my point about superman and 007 of which both being established white characters. If you don’t have an issue with them being race swapped then you’re arguments were just straw man. You can’t have an issue with black panther being made white and not have one with two written white characters made black
Ok mate. All the best. X

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok mate. All the best. X
Ok so…. Black panther changing to white man is problematic. (Which you’re right it’s dumb)
But changing 007 and superman to black is cozzzzz….. excuses.
Fk me bro lol.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok so…. Black panther changing to white man is problematic. (Which you’re right it’s dumb)
But changing 007 and superman to black is cozzzzz….. excuses.
Fk me bro lol.
I never used the word problematic, you're trying to make this into a PC thing, I'm simply saying the specific examples of Selina Kyle and Jim Gordon aren't intrinsically white.

Black Panther is from Wakanda, a fictional, all black African nation. His name is a reference to an all black socio-political movement that was first and foremost interested in the rights of black people. Black Panther must be black.

A black Superman wouldn't be Clark Kent, if they were to do it they'd go down the Earth 23 path I'd guess.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even his ex wife came out denouncing the new movies lol. His ex wifeeee ffs lol.
"I like Kathleen. I always liked her. She was full of beans. She was really smart and really bright. Really wonderful woman. And I liked her husband, Frank. I liked them a lot. Now that she’s running Lucasfilm and making movies, it seems to me that Kathy Kennedy and J.J. Abrams don’t have a clue about ‘Star Wars.’ They don’t get it. And J.J. Abrams is writing these stories — when I saw that movie where they kill Han Solo, I was furious. I was furious when they killed Han Solo. Absolutely, positively there was no rhyme or reason to it. I thought, ‘You don’t get the Jedi story. You don’t get the magic of ‘Star Wars.’ You’re getting rid of Han Solo?'" Lucas says in the book.

"They have Luke disintegrate. They killed Han Solo. They killed Luke Skywalker. And they don’t have Princess Leia anymore. And they’re spitting out movies every year. And they think it’s important to appeal to a woman’s audience, so now their main character is this female, who’s supposed to have Jedi powers, but we don’t know how she got Jedi powers, or who she is. It sucks. The storylines are terrible. Just terrible. Awful. You can quote me — ‘J.J. Abrams, Kathy Kennedy — talk to me,'"

- Marcia Lucas

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I never used the word problematic, you're trying to make this into a PC thing, I'm simply saying the specific examples of Selina Kyle and Jim Gordon aren't intrinsically white.

Black Panther is from Wakanda, a fictional, all black African nation. His name is a reference to an all black socio-political movement that was first and foremost interested in the rights of black people. Black Panther must be black.

A black Superman wouldn't be Clark Kent, if they were to do it they'd go down the Earth 23 path I'd guess.
I'm pretty sure they'd do Calvin Harris Superman. If it's Clark Kent Superman and he's black, it would seem a bit odd.

I personally always found the white washing/black washing thing to be odd. In some cases it makes no sense, like Yule Brunner playing the King of Siam. In other cases it's not so much of an issue.

In the Doctor Strange movie they replaced The Ancient One with a white person and there wasn't too much backlash. I think the main reason for that was that the Ancient One was a very stereotypical old asian characture. But also because it wasn't the main character.

A black Achilles is a little more nuanced for me. There were plenty of black people around Ancient Greece and Achilles may not have even been real. There's also a depiction found from around the time on a vase that shows Achilles as black versing Penthesilea who is white. But he was a Greek warrior, not an Ethiopean warrior. So it makes more sense that he would be light skinned.

There's other ones that seem a little more odd. The Full Metal Alchemist movie was one that seemed odd to me. In the manga/anime they were a mixture of races from a ficitonal are that was a blend of Asia and Europe, with the main characters being white European. In the movie it was a full Japanese cast and they just gave them blond wigs. It made full sense because it's a Japanese movie based on a Japanese Manga. But it seemed odd. And it was praised for doing it.

Then on the flip side you have The Last Airbender movie where the anime had an Asian kid as the lead, and they replaced him with an awkward white kid and it felt weird. They replaced pretty much all the asians in the cast with white character and it felt just as odd. And it was ridiculed for doing it. And rightly so.

But Realist is doing his usual over the top reaction. A Black Superman is almost certainly going to be the black superman from the comics. Just like how a black Spider-man is always going to be Miles Morales Spider-man. It's not black washing if they literally get a black actor to play a black character.

But Realist isn't looking at the nuance. He's just looking at a right wing cause to champion.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
"I like Kathleen. I always liked her. She was full of beans. She was really smart and really bright. Really wonderful woman. And I liked her husband, Frank. I liked them a lot. Now that she’s running Lucasfilm and making movies, it seems to me that Kathy Kennedy and J.J. Abrams don’t have a clue about ‘Star Wars.’ They don’t get it. And J.J. Abrams is writing these stories — when I saw that movie where they kill Han Solo, I was furious. I was furious when they killed Han Solo. Absolutely, positively there was no rhyme or reason to it. I thought, ‘You don’t get the Jedi story. You don’t get the magic of ‘Star Wars.’ You’re getting rid of Han Solo?'" Lucas says in the book.

"They have Luke disintegrate. They killed Han Solo. They killed Luke Skywalker. And they don’t have Princess Leia anymore. And they’re spitting out movies every year. And they think it’s important to appeal to a woman’s audience, so now their main character is this female, who’s supposed to have Jedi powers, but we don’t know how she got Jedi powers, or who she is. It sucks. The storylines are terrible. Just terrible. Awful. You can quote me — ‘J.J. Abrams, Kathy Kennedy — talk to me,'"

- Marcia Lucas
In their defence, that was written before they explained how she got her Jedi powers. The whole thing was rubbish though.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In their defence, that was written before they explained how she got her Jedi powers. The whole thing was rubbish though.
what did they explain? in 'The Last Jedi' Snoke states that Rey is the force's counterbalance to Kylo Ren's rise in the dark side... in 'The Rise of Skywalker' she is now a Palpatine AND a force dyad bonded with Ben Solo... no need for training... no need for emotional control... simply Captain Marvel Rey with her laser sword

Rey had never flown the Millenium Falcon before and it hadn't flown in years and yet at first go she flies it better than Han Solo ever could, knows how to fix the ship including fixing issues that even Han Solo couldn't, with one shot destroys three TIE fighters at the end of 'The Last Jedi' when Han and Luke barely shot down 4 TIE fighters while escaping the Death Star in the first movie... never held a lightsaber before yet defeats Kylo Ren in a duel at the end of 'The Force Awaken'... pulls apart a mountain for what is left of the Resistance to escape at the end of 'The Last Jedi' when Luke couldn't even lift his x-wing out of the swamp in Empire... beats Jedi Grandmaster Luke on the island etc.

Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012 and had destroyed it by 2017... 'The Rise of Skywalker' earned only about half of what it should have... Solo lost money

and due to the lack of world building in the sequel trilogy - all that kill the past bullsh*t - there is nowhere to go and so, the only things of any interest are in an about the original Skywalker saga --> 'The Clone Wars', 'Rogue One', 'The Mandalorian'

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
what did they explain? in 'The Last Jedi' Snoke states that Rey is the force's counterbalance to Kylo Ren's rise in the dark side... in 'The Rise of Skywalker' she is now a Palpatine AND a force dyad bonded with Ben Solo... no need for training... no need for emotional control... simply Captain Marvel Rey with her laser sword

Rey had never flown the Millenium Falcon before and it hadn't flown in years and yet at first go she flies it better than Han Solo ever could, knows how to fix the ship including fixing issues that even Han Solo couldn't, with one shot destroys three TIE fighters at the end of 'The Last Jedi' when Han and Luke barely shot down 4 TIE fighters while escaping the Death Star in the first movie... never held a lightsaber before yet defeats Kylo Ren in a duel at the end of 'The Force Awaken'... pulls apart a mountain for what is left of the Resistance to escape at the end of 'The Last Jedi' when Luke couldn't even lift his x-wing out of the swamp in Empire... beats Jedi Grandmaster Luke on the island etc.

Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012 and had destroyed it by 2017... 'The Rise of Skywalker' earned only about half of what it should have... Solo lost money

and due to the lack of world building in the sequel trilogy - all that kill the past bullsh*t - there is nowhere to go and so, the only things of any interest are in an about the original Skywalker saga --> 'The Clone Wars', 'Rogue One', 'The Mandalorian'
Dude. They're space Wizards. If you're looking for the logic in any part of it, you're just going to get confused.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
TBF, Superman is an alien. He could look like anything - although if he was being raised in Kansas as Clark Kent without being an all american white boy his cover would probably be blown...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Isnt 007 his agent number … pretty sure it’s interchangeable if he’s dead lol
Absolutely, but in the series that we know, 007 is Bond. James Bond. I'm not saying he can't be black or asian or whatever though, but again it might struggle to fit the back story.

I couldn't care either way though :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There will always be accusations of white washing, blackwashing, skinny people wearing fat suits, CIS people playing trans character etc. All probably not the end of the world, but i think as long as we don't do this again we're generally doping ok (this is probably the bar TBH for ridiculous casting):

1634600042574.png

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Have you guys watched Squid Game yet?
There's some discussion in the TV thread i think - i've put it ion my watchlist, but i've also tried watching K-drama before and been severely disappointed.