Movie Discussion

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Exodus and that russel Crowe ark one we’re blasphemous pieces of shit lol. No biblical accuracy whatsoever. The new Ben hur I haven’t even watched but why the need for a blacky in a role lol. Even though I love Morgan freeman, he wasn’t needed.
Are you referring to that dirty dog Larry David who pissed on a picture of Jesus saying Christians also bought nails for passion of the Christ? Also the violence wasn’t a selling point for passion of the Christ, the reason for the violence was to show a more accurate take on what Jesus actually went through, crazy thing is the disfigurement of Christ was way worse than what passion showed us. You gotta remember this is biblical text as well, Mel wanted to bring to us the truth of what it meant to actually take the burden of the sins of the world. He made a point that previous Jesus movies watered down everything especially the crucifixion parts. They never moved you and thought oh wow he went through so much for us. The passion of the Christ moved me like no other movie when I was autistic 13 year old. I did hate the romans for a long time after that though lol ironically not hating the Jews
The violence I refer to caused the controversy it created interest.. I got no problem with Mel making Passion..I think biblical stories are great..it was wonderfully shot..the brilliant ‘devil’ blew me away.. But Christian movies don’t create as much interest as they used too.. As for Larry David..I didn’t know that and I find it utterly disgusting and wrong..disgraceful behaviour.. But they did sell necklaces with nails..

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The violence I refer to caused the controversy it created interest.. I got no problem with Mel making Passion..I think biblical stories are great..it was wonderfully shot..the brilliant ‘devil’ blew me away.. But Christian movies don’t create as much interest as they used too.. As for Larry David..I didn’t know that and I find it utterly disgusting and wrong..disgraceful behaviour.. But they did sell necklaces with nails..
Were these necklaces merchandise though or actual blessed necklaces? I know to many there’s no difference and you’ll prob think rosaries are merchandise but to Catholics there’s a massive difference. Non believers like a lot celebs who wear crosses that aren’t even Christian, that’s merchandise.
I like how the devil was shown as like a non gendered abomination :grinning: just like tra....... dw

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Were these necklaces merchandise though or actual blessed necklaces? I know to many there’s no difference and you’ll prob think rosaries are merchandise but to Catholics there’s a massive difference. Non believers like a lot celebs who wear crosses that aren’t even Christian, that’s merchandise.
I like how the devil was shown as like a non gendered abomination :grinning: just like tra....... dw
Nah they were merchandise.. The fact devil/temptation was a shadowy presence..hovering around..is what impressed me..

Here’s an interesting article on the marketing.. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4362894/n...tonight/t/merchandising-passion/#.XdZeIcrZWhA

Ps..I was educated in Catholic institutions..and taught at a Catholic school so I know Catholicism..

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah they were merchandise.. The fact devil/temptation was a shadowy presence..hovering around..is what impressed me..

Here’s an interesting article on the marketing.. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4362894/n...tonight/t/merchandising-passion/#.XdZeIcrZWhA
Lol typical of nbc. I love how everyone went crazy about apprent anti Semitic content. It was literally what happened. It wasn’t an opinion, that’s just what happened. I mean if Mel Gibson left the part out where Jesus forgave the Jews on the cross then you could argue there was things left out to put unnecessary hate on Jews. People are feee to be offended but being offended doesn’t mean historical facts need to be changed. Also what’s wrong with a t shirt about Jesus lol I don’t think merchandise is the right word or how the media carried on about it. I mean I don’t see them go crazy when other religions or political movements have t shirts with their shit on it. I’m currently in search for a t shirt that has the our father prayer on it and that money will go straight to the church.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol typical of nbc. I love how everyone went crazy about apprent anti Semitic content. It was literally what happened. It wasn’t an opinion, that’s just what happened. I mean if Mel Gibson left the part out where Jesus forgave the Jews on the cross then you could argue there was things left out to put unnecessary hate on Jews. People are feee to be offended but being offended doesn’t mean historical facts need to be changed. Also what’s wrong with a t shirt about Jesus lol I don’t think merchandise is the right word or how the media carried on about it. I mean I don’t see them go crazy when other religions or political movements have t shirts with their shit on it. I’m currently in search for a t shirt that has the our father prayer on it and that money will go straight to the church.
Well to be honest Jesus was perceived as a political threat..of course the Jews wanted to get rid of him..and the Romans too..it makes complete sense to me.. I think I should say the description is accurate to the Bible and Emmerich‘s visions ..but not necessarily history..as there is really is no ‘accurate’ corresponding documentations accompanying the Bible’s works..

Sounds like merchandise to me..profits went to Mel.. I found this for your t-shirt..

C5EECBD7-862F-4006-B36A-E08B2B30318D.jpeg

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well to be honest Jesus was perceived as a political threat..of course the Jews wanted to get rid of him..and the Romans too..it makes complete sense to me.. I think I should say the description is accurate to the Bible and Emmerich‘s visions ..but not necessarily history..as there is really is no ‘accurate’ corresponding documentations accompanying the Bible’s works..

Sounds like merchandise to me..profits went to Mel.. I found this for your t-shirt..

View attachment 12071
It’s going to a good cause. Do people realise Mel took a massive gamble with passion of the Christ? No one in Hollywood wanted to touch the movie so he funded it himself. Absolute legend he is. I mean there actually is a lot of history on Jesus hence why Christianity has survived the harshest of times. People only think about medieval times onwards about the church when they finally gathered power as it conveniently leaves out the start of the church which was essentially just Martyrs.
anywyas back to history of the bibal heard about the Jewish historian flavius Josephus? Majority of historians believe Christ was real lived, was crucified and died, where the skeptics come in is understandably the resurrection.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s going to a good cause. Do people realise Mel took a massive gamble with passion of the Christ? No one in Hollywood wanted to touch the movie so he funded it himself. Absolute legend he is. I mean there actually is a lot of history on Jesus hence why Christianity has survived the harshest of times. People only think about medieval times onwards about the church when they finally gathered power as it conveniently leaves out the start of the church which was essentially just Martyrs.
anywyas back to history of the bibal heard about the Jewish historian flavius Josephus? Majority of historians believe Christ was real lived, was crucified and died, where the skeptics come in is understandably the resurrection.
I got no problem with the historical figure of ‘Jesus’ ..none..

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol what’s your “problem” with biblical Jesus? Haha
Lol.. Only like you said resurrection and miracles..that takes faith.. And I must add I am a big supporter of his one commandment..

Banned
Reaction score
Hollywood is about the money first..the money second..and the money third.. Heck if they thought Hitler playing with his balls while singing Im a little teapot would make money..they’d make it a three hour epic movie starring Brad Pitt playing with his balls while balancing a lid on his head singing Teapot love songs..
I'd pay to watch that, albeit not much and not for long, yet enough to troll the living fuck out of Hollywood ;)

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Once upon a time in Hollywood.

Having been a fan of once upon a time in Mexico I watched this movie a few days ago having done no research on it.

I can't say that it impressed me. The acting wasn't terrible but it was barely pushing for a pass mark. But that's part of the fact that the actors can only be what the story allowed them to be. The storyline in this just struck me as rubbish. Very disjointed and largely pointless. It basically seemed like it was written by a 15yo.

I try not to read beyond the word spoiler in any review before I watch a movie and this was no exception. But I've since looked at a couple trying to work out if I lost something in the translation. I found out that Tarantino basically wrote this in an attempt to tie in elements of a lot of his favourite movies. That actually makes a lot of sense to me because this movie almost followed a storyline. But along the way there was an absolute tonne of pointless filler which ruined what might have been an interesting alternate version of events to some true events that shocked the world in the flower power era.

"spoiler alert"

For what it's worth the basic premise of this movie was an alternate version of the story of the Manson murders. No attempt was made to reflect the true story of the murders. Told through the eyes of a narcissistic actor and the stunt double he employs as his driver/servant.

I've watched some Tarantino movies that I enjoyed. But I think he's very hit and miss as a director. This was a huge miss in my books.

3/10

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg
Defeated by members of the Losers' Club, the evil clown Pennywise returns 27 years later to terrorize the town of Derry, Maine, once again. Now adults, the childhood friends have long since gone their separate ways. But when people start disappearing, Mike Hanlon calls the others home for one final stand. Damaged by scars from the past, the united Losers must conquer their deepest fears to destroy the shape-shifting Pennywise -- now more powerful than ever.

Being a big fan of the book, and even having a special place for the 90's mini series, as campy as it was, I felt that captured the tone and essence of the book very well, much better than both chapters of these remakes, and not that skarsgard did a bad job, Tim Curry was perfect as pennywise. Part two suffers from the same downfalls of part one, too much deviation from the source material and I couldn't get into or care about the characters. Just like the kids, I found the acting from the adults for the most part adequate (except for James mcavoy who as a great actor was completely wrong for the part of Bill imo, and looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but on set)
Overuse of cgi and so called "built up jump scares" were laughable, the ending was a cop out too.

The best thing about parts one and two was the acting as well as cinematography, everything else is well below par imo

End of the day, I really wish Cary Fukunaga had a chance to create his version, (which was deemed too dark apparently) I think it would have been a much better adaptation than what was ultimately churned out.

1.5/5

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Joker was amazing! Best movie I've seen in years.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
No Escape

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1781922/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

In their new overseas house, an American family soon finds themselves caught in the middle of a coup, and they frantically look for a safe escape from an environment where foreigners are being immediately executed.

Not a bad movie this one. There were certain scenes that were too close for comfort... and Pierce Brosnan's character would constantly make random appearances throughout. Entertaining action-thriller to kill some time.

7/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Do-Over

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4769836/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Two down-on-their-luck guys decide to fake their own deaths and start over with new identities, only to find the people they're pretending to be are in even deeper trouble.

These guys find themselves on the run for their lives once their new life starts to kick in. There's quite some crude humor in this movie, the type you'd expect from David Spade. Adam Sandler keeps it somewhat entertaining though.

6/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Body of Lies

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758774/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

A CIA agent on the ground in Jordan hunts down a powerful terrorist leader while being caught between the unclear intentions of his American supervisors and Jordan Intelligence.

The movie is ok, but how much entertainment can you possibly expect when there's just explosions after explosions and too much back and forth between multiple countries. It gets too hard to keep track of what's going on at times.

6/10.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Once upon a time in Hollywood.

Having been a fan of once upon a time in Mexico I watched this movie a few days ago having done no research on it.

I can't say that it impressed me. The acting wasn't terrible but it was barely pushing for a pass mark. But that's part of the fact that the actors can only be what the story allowed them to be. The storyline in this just struck me as rubbish. Very disjointed and largely pointless. It basically seemed like it was written by a 15yo.

I try not to read beyond the word spoiler in any review before I watch a movie and this was no exception. But I've since looked at a couple trying to work out if I lost something in the translation. I found out that Tarantino basically wrote this in an attempt to tie in elements of a lot of his favourite movies. That actually makes a lot of sense to me because this movie almost followed a storyline. But along the way there was an absolute tonne of pointless filler which ruined what might have been an interesting alternate version of events to some true events that shocked the world in the flower power era.

"spoiler alert"

For what it's worth the basic premise of this movie was an alternate version of the story of the Manson murders. No attempt was made to reflect the true story of the murders. Told through the eyes of a narcissistic actor and the stunt double he employs as his driver/servant.

I've watched some Tarantino movies that I enjoyed. But I think he's very hit and miss as a director. This was a huge miss in my books.

3/10
Tarantino movies aren't for everyone, but this film was pretty much bang on for him. So far the best film i've seen this year (notwithstanding I don't get to the movies much these days). The end was brilliant, although it requires a bit of knowledge of the Sharon Tate murders to get it in full. I still chuckle thinking of the Bruce Lee fight scene - I can picture Lee as a bit of a wanker :grinning:

Viva la difference!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Body of Lies

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758774/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

A CIA agent on the ground in Jordan hunts down a powerful terrorist leader while being caught between the unclear intentions of his American supervisors and Jordan Intelligence.

The movie is ok, but how much entertainment can you possibly expect when there's just explosions after explosions and too much back and forth between multiple countries. It gets too hard to keep track of what's going on at times.

6/10.
This also shows that two huge stars don't necessarily make a great film.

I'm going to see Ford v Ferrari on Wednesday, hopefully it will not be the case there!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No Escape

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1781922/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

In their new overseas house, an American family soon finds themselves caught in the middle of a coup, and they frantically look for a safe escape from an environment where foreigners are being immediately executed.

Not a bad movie this one. There were certain scenes that were too close for comfort... and Pierce Brosnan's character would constantly make random appearances throughout. Entertaining action-thriller to kill some time.

7/10.
Hang on - Hansel and James Bond in the same movie? How the fuck did i miss this one?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Hang on - Hansel and James Bond in the same movie? How the fuck did i miss this one?
Ever since I've had Netflix, I've been inundated with South-East Asian movies. This is another one of them.