Movie Discussion

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist," says con man Kint (Kevin Spacey), drawing a comparison to the most enigmatic criminal of all time, Keyser Soze. Kint attempts to convince the feds that the mythic crime lord not only exists, but is also responsible for drawing Kint and his four partners into a multi-million dollar heist that ended with an explosion in San Pedro Harbor - leaving few survivors.

Expertly shot and brilliantly acted, a lot of the script was apparently impromptu which only adds to its greatness imo. Some people say the plot is too confusing and it's full of "holes"
I disagree wholeheartedly.

One of my all time favourite movies, and Bryan singer's best by far.

5/5

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My last film post:

I have over 100 more but I only wanted to expose you to the lessor known categories, plus drugs, animation & religious to give you an idea of my taste in the more mainstream movie genres:

This is my last ever post, for anyone interested my farewell message is in the Introduce Yourself thread.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrBg4OxJo87XsTcGejQY2gpAv109Yvi_1

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hobbs & Shaw

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6806448/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Reviewing this for my brother @The_Chimpster and anyone who is a F&F fan.

Lawman Luke Hobbs and outcast Deckard Shaw form an unlikely alliance when a cyber-genetically enhanced villain threatens the future of humanity.

Alright, being a Fast & Furious nut, there is NO WAY I was going to miss this (which set a Fast & Furious Box Office Record by the way... https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...cruise-suicide-squad-box-office/#b806ae4dddad) - and I LOVED it!

It's got everything bar an actual race. This movie is more focused on the actual action sequence of franchise and has a lot of it. Mind you, there is plenty of car-action in this movie. There are also plenty of smart-ass comedy lines that can keep you laughing as the banter between the 2 characters is played out, and towards the end of the movie, the final showdown in Samoa which has the H&S having to fight the common enemy together is awesome. Basically, it's a 2-on-1 fight, but the '2' are at a disadvantage.

Throughout the movie you'll see plenty of references to other movies - namely:

- The Italian Job (Shaw refers to a Mini Cooper he has for a job he did in Italy)
- The Hitman's Bodyguard - Ryan Reynolds who plays a DSS employee looks remarkably similar to his character in The Hitman's Bodyguard
- Central Intelligence - Kevin Hart makes an appearance in the movie (who appeared alongside DJ in Central Intelligence) and plays the role of a Air Marshall. Quite a funny scene as well
- WWE - DJ's cousin Roman Reigns makes an appearance in the movie as one of his Usos (brothers). In the scene in Samoa, Reigns appears to do a little chant, the same one he does in WWE before delivering his spear. It was funny to see the Rock do the same thing at the same time.

There is also a Samoan Haka that takes places as the final fight beings. This was by far the best action scene in the movie.

You need to really watch this movie with suspension of disbelief and enjoy it for what it is - a mindless action film. If you are going to watch this movie and criticise it for how unrealistic it is, save yourself the trouble - it's clearly for people who enjoy mindless action-comedy.

Highly recommended.

9/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Boyka: Undisputed

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3344680/

upload_2019-8-12_8-52-51.jpeg

In the fourth installment of the fighting franchise, Boyka is shooting for the big leagues when an accidental death in the ring makes him question everything he stands for.

Another one for my man @The_Chimpster. After his previous bout leaves his opponent brain damaged which later results in his death, Boyka crosses the line into Russia in search of the mans widow. It is here where he realises that even with her husbands death, she is working to pay off a man who 'owns' her via the debt she has with him. Boyka makes this man a deal, that he can beat 3 of his fighters to set her free.

In a race against the clock, Boyka must decide where his priorities lie... setting this girl free, or chasing his dream of becoming a professional MMA fighter.

Storyline aside, the MMA action in this film in AWESOME. Just so I can give you an idea, I am not much of a MMA fan, but this film did have great action that you could tell was authentic and done by the actors given the camera angles and slow-motion that was applied. It is great.

Regardless of whether or not you are into MMA, this film is one that I'd recommend which makes you appreciate how skillful MMA fighters are.

I might also add that Scott Adkins (who plays the role of Boyka in the film) had a fight sequence with Jason Statham in The Expendables 2 which was great. This gives you an idea to how skillful he is.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Girl on the Train

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3631112/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

upload_2019-8-12_10-26-32.jpeg

A divorcee becomes entangled in a missing persons investigation that promises to send shockwaves throughout her life.

This is one of those movies that is extremely confusing at first. It starts in the past and slowly starts tracking forward. As the movie progresses, the scenes that were confusing at first begin to make sense. It's centred around a lady who is the prime suspect in another woman's death. She is an alcoholic and as she joins AA, her memory and recollection of what happens starts to come through.

Look I'll be honest... this is a daytime TV movie, but once you watch it, you get hooked in and want to watch it all.

6/10.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

A vagrant turns the lives of arrogant upper-class family to a psychological nightmare.

This is one strange dark film. A whole lot of questions asked with not many answers (if any) given. I found it to be extremely well shot and very strong acting from the two leads, especially the vagrant, but ultimately the odd choices the characters make, and "art" masquerading as film add to make the overall end product kind of an empty experience.

3/5

Wahesh

Reaction score
John Cena is rumored to be in F&F9 - not happy about this.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
images.jpeg

Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis are two young, attractive serial killers who become tabloid-TV darlings, thanks to a sensationalistic press led by Robert Downey Jr. The press reports the pair as they go on a 52 people killing spree. A controversial look at the way the media portrays criminals.

Watched this again last night as I hadn't seen it for around 10 years and it's still nearly every bit as good as I remember. Outstanding visuals, dynamite performances from everyone involved, and a great satirical view of media America and an absolutely captivating film in its two hour runtime.
One of the most pivotal 90's movies I've seen.

5/5

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 11020
Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis are two young, attractive serial killers who become tabloid-TV darlings, thanks to a sensationalistic press led by Robert Downey Jr. The press reports the pair as they go on a 52 people killing spree. A controversial look at the way the media portrays criminals.

Watched this again last night as I hadn't seen it for around 10 years and it's still nearly every bit as good as I remember. Outstanding visuals, dynamite performances from everyone involved, and a great satirical view of media America and an absolutely captivating film in its two hour runtime.

5/5
Original screenplay was also from a certain Q Tarantino (although was eventually revised for the finished product).

I remember when it came out. Oliver Stone personally took out full page ads in major newspapers defending the film, as it was accused of glorifying violence and inspiring copycats.

it also gave RDJ's first opportunity to do an Australian accent.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Original screenplay was also from a certain Q Tarantino (although was eventually revised for the finished product).

I remember when it came out. Oliver Stone personally took out full page ads in major newspapers defending the film, as it was accused of glorifying violence and inspiring copycats.

it also gave RDJ's first opportunity to do an Australian accent.
Yep, and tarantino walked out after the diner scene right at the beginning and for years hated the film. His version was basically true romance, which he wrote and sold anyway.

I don't think it glorifies violence at all, in fact the opposite, mirroring a few real life cases where people were /and still are obsessed with serial killers, but claim to respect human life. Plus its a big middle finger to the media, which is always fantastic to see.

And agreed rdj did a great job in his role

Stone did a great job imo

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone hear matrix 4 has been confirmed?
I was also in utter confewtion Chinese style when they said Lana Wachowski will direct again. I was like huhhhhhhh I’m pretty sure a man directed the matrix. Sure enough they had a cosmetic sex change. Hollywood really is the home of mentally ill. Grown ass men thinking cosmetic redisigns will change their biology lol.
Keane Reeves is confirmed to reprise his role. But I won’t be surprised if they have a gender fluid type saviour this time round. And they’ll ban people who misgender it. Sort of like how borderlands 3 creators are banning people who misgender their fictional robot creation lolll.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I was also in utter confewtion Chinese style when they said Lana Wachowski will direct again. I was like huhhhhhhh I’m pretty sure a man directed the matrix. Sure enough they had a cosmetic sex change. Hollywood really is the home of mentally ill. Grown ass men thinking cosmetic redisigns will change their biology lol.
Keane Reeves is confirmed to reprise his role. But I won’t be surprised if they have a gender fluid type saviour this time round. And they’ll ban people who misgender it. Sort of like how borderlands 3 creators are banning people who misgender their fictional robot creation lolll.
Well apparently it's all the same actors.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 11020

5/5
great flick

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes it’s called Matrix Reassigned..
Tagline: Sexuality is a thing of the past...
:D