Mount Rushmore of Belmore

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been thinking, I’m no sign maker, but with all the creative signs you do see, I’d love someone to make a “MOUNT BELMORE” sign based on the famous Mount Rushmore monument.

that said, who’d be your 4?

3 for mine are an absolute given
Steve Mortimer
Terry Lamb
Peter Bullfrog Moore (sorry Nasheed)

that 4th I’m not sure….

Phil Gould? He has only so far won 1 comp for us.
El Masri? Highest point scorer. Punched above his weight.
Tes Glossip? The coach of the entertainers era.
Josh Jackson? Because he’s our current captain
Les Johns? A player of real quality probably the closest to Turvey and Lamb.

for me, probably Warren Wok Ryan. He’s our only coach to win multiple comps and coached 3 Grand Finals in a row in our most successful period to date.

who’d be on yours?
The 4th would have to be coach. There has been some great players for the Dogs but Turvey and Baa are in a class of their own above all others. I favour Glossip over Wok because the 79/80 era of the Entertainers are still legendary in league history and the landmark 80 GF was our first premiership in 38 years. We should have won the 79 GF as Saints scored off a blatant forward pass that was the difference in the end.
Wok was a great coach but he was a divisive character, had battles with Turvey and took 4 of our rep players with him to Wests.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even Chris Anderson deserves a mention

player during the 80’s coach during the 90’s

both very successful decades for us
I was actually thinking he shouldn’t be forgotten, but probably in a top 10 or 20 most influential/important Bulldogs of all time. Maybe not in top 4 though.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you are basing it on what made Canterbury Canterbury, then I would have in order of when they came to Canterbury & made the impact.
1. Kevin Ryan - the impact he made in turning the club from a rabble & perennial loser cannot be underestimated.
2. Peter Moore - they say success starts at the front office & there were none better than Bullfrog who was the conductor to this orchestra.
3. Bob McCarthy - built on what Ryan started & edged us into the Entertainers era
4. Phil Gould (for what he is a bout to do.)
You could have had Sonny Bill Williams at 5 but there isn't enough room for 2 faces! (Remember there is room for a 5th face)

As for players & players only
1. Kevin Ryan
2. Les Johns
3. Steve Mortimer
4. Terry Lamb & if you were going to have a 5th face
5. Frank Sponberg - an original but to turn the club from a joke to semi finalist in the second year & premiers in the 4th says a lot. Need to have a pioneer there.

There are SO many great players we could name 50 sensational players.

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Been thinking, I’m no sign maker, but with all the creative signs you do see, I’d love someone to make a “MOUNT BELMORE” sign based on the famous Mount Rushmore monument.

that said, who’d be your 4?

3 for mine are an absolute given
Steve Mortimer
Terry Lamb
Peter Bullfrog Moore (sorry Nasheed)

that 4th I’m not sure….

Phil Gould? He has only so far won 1 comp for us.
El Masri? Highest point scorer. Punched above his weight.
Tes Glossip? The coach of the entertainers era.
Josh Jackson? Because he’s our current captain
Les Johns? A player of real quality probably the closest to Turvey and Lamb.

for me, probably Warren Wok Ryan. He’s our only coach to win multiple comps and coached 3 Grand Finals in a row in our most successful period to date.

who’d be on yours?
What a great idea!! Big picture stuff.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was actually thinking he shouldn’t be forgotten, but probably in a top 10 or 20 most influential/important Bulldogs of all time. Maybe not in top 4 though.
okay but answer me this how do you suggest
Josh Jackson or hazem elmasri to maybe be in the top 4. But Chris Anderson only maybe top 20?

what have they did for the club more then what Chris has?

don’t get me wrong he disappointed me the last few years I was expecting more from him and I’m glad he is gone... but he was a successful coach in the 90’s for us and was an International test player at our club...

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Steve Mortimer
2. Les Johns
3. Andrew Ryan
4. Terry Lamb

these are how I would place them with Mortimer and Lamb bookending the four in the George Washington and Abraham Lincoln positions

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ted Glossop
Dr George
The dynasty started with these two blokes and Bullfrog/Turvey
It started with the purchase of Kevin Ryan in 1967 followed by the new club secretary (Peter Moore) in 1969, with the added touch of Bob McCarthy in 1976. All very key, history making appointments.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why only four? With so many memorable players that have pulled on the blue and white, why not make up an entire wall collage of famous Berries/ Bulldogs.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why only four? With so many memorable players that have pulled on the blue and white, why not make up an entire wall collage of famous Berries/ Bulldogs.
Because Mt. Rushmore currently has 4 heads with room for a 5th.