Motorbike riders of the Kennel info/help

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any riders on here?

I'm just looking for some info, input or help in the realms of motorbike riding.

I am currently approaching mid life crisis time (joking, but getting there) and am looking into getting a motorbike. I've also have to get my bike license as I've never had one before. I have done a bit of dirt bike riding over the years but now I want to move onto the road finally.

So at the moment just looking to see if you guys have any recommendations when it comes to bikes that would make a decent learner that would be LAM approved. I am more interested in sports bikes over cruiser and the likes.

Just from quickly looking around it seems like the Kawasaki Ninja 400 could be a good candidate but interested in any additional input.

Also I am a short ass so that may come into play as well.

Anyhow, cheers!!

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I personally would aim for a bigger bike that has restricters installed that you can remove when you get your full license. Stops you having to buy a bigger bike later on

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I personally would aim for a bigger bike that has restricters installed that you can remove when you get your full license. Stops you having to buy a bigger bike later on
Issue with that it, the bike will be harder to learn on.

i'd get a simple 250, learn on it, learn how to corner on it properly, perfect the 250 then move up.

I had a Yamaha FZR250RR Jap import.

redlline was 20,000, the Suzuki Across was popular in my time and there redline was 7000 haha

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Welcome fellow rider I’m 170cm and own a 2009 cbr 1000rr and feel comfortable on it .
Best lams bike for the $$ would be ninja 300 easy to ride has a slipper clutch and you can pick a decent one for 3k and sell it for 3k ones your year is up.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
He will get sick of it and upgrade to a 4cyl most bigger lams bike are 2cyl like the ninja 650 you will get used to the power and want to upgrade instantly.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Issue with that it, the bike will be harder to learn on.

i'd get a simple 250, learn on it, learn how to corner on it properly, perfect the 250 then move up.

I had a Yamaha FZR250RR Jap import.

redlline was 20,000, the Suzuki Across was popular in my time and there redline was 7000 haha
I dunno, I learnt on a restricted 650 and I was fine. Helped when it got unrestricted as I was already used to the size and weight. Guess it’s the way you look at it

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sv650 is a good Lam's bike... Great handling (talk to anyone at a track day and they will sing praises of its handling), v-twin (so evenly powered all the way up through each gear - no power band shock ).

It's also very easy to service and extremely reliable.

Biggest tips I've got for riding:

1) Take your time getting to know your bike and each bike you hop on - some take 10kms for familiarisation others 200kms.

2) Be realistic with your abilities - you won't be able to keep up with every rider you meet on the road (especially initially).

3) Get familiar with counter steering and appropriate body positiong early, this will directly effect your overall handling ability, and is generally the difference between a good rider and a great rider.

4) ALWAYS know where the vehicles are around you (keep a mental picture and regular mirror /shoulder checks)

5) Take it easy in the wet, reduce power (slightly coming out of corners, and do most of your braking before you start leaning your bike coming into corners)

6) Ride in the most visible spot on the road (normally close to the centre line or on the edge of any given lane), think you want to be spotted in as many vehicles side mirrors as possible and be seen by as many behind you as possible (so edges of lanes are good for this), and more importantly edge lane riding allows you to see debris on the road a lot earlier.

7) Learn from others - talk to other riders for tips, and have a look around YouTube.

8) Go out and play - set time aside (by yourself) early on to simply grow your handling skills, increase your limits by limited increases regularly.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Sv650 is a good Lam's bike... Great handling (talk to anyone at a track day and they will sing praises of its handling), v-twin (so evenly powered all the way up through each gear - no power band shock ).

1) Take your time getting to know your bike and each bike you hop on - some take 10kms for familiarisation others 200kms.

2) Be realistic with your abilities - you won't be able to keep up with every rider you meet on the road (especially initially).

3) Get familiar with counter steering and appropriate body positiong early, this will directly effect your overall handling ability, and is generally the difference between a good rider and a great rider.

4) ALWAYS know where the vehicles are around you (keep a mental picture and regular mirror /shoulder checks)

5) Take it easy in the wet, reduce power (slightly coming out of corners, and do most of your braking before you start leaning your bike coming into corners)

6) Ride in the most visible spot on the road (normally close to the centre line or on the edge of any given lane), think you want to be spotted in as many vehicles side mirrors as possible and be seen by as many behind you as possible (so edges of lanes are good for this), and more importantly edge lane riding allows you to see debris on the road a lot earlier.

7) Learn from others - talk to other riders for tips, and have a look around YouTube.

8) Go out and play - set time aside (by yourself) early on to simply grow your handling skills, increase your limits by limited increases regularly.
Great advice, also make sure you have your safety gear on all the time don’t be a squid .

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome fellow rider I’m 170cm and own a 2009 cbr 1000rr and feel comfortable on it .
Best lams bike for the $$ would be ninja 300 easy to ride has a slipper clutch and you can pick a decent one for 3k and sell it for 3k ones your year is up.
I'm pretty much the same height brother. Cheers for the advice. Yeah I was looking at the 300 while looking at the 400 just from the reviews the 400 seemed like a good option. Though mind you you make a good point about the money side of it. You are probably looking at 3k difference in price value between the two. The 400 is 10kg or so lighter with a bit more power.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks mate for the advice and tips. Appreciated!!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great advice, also make sure you have your safety gear on all the time don’t be a squid .
For sure brother. I would always wear my safety gear when dirt bike riding so I'll be doing the same on the road too. It's a lot more dangerous out there. Seen enough videos of people crashing without proper safety gear and that asphalt sure does turn into a human grater.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I ride Ducati monster don't buy one it will kill you lol mate honestly if you don't have any road bike experience start small and work your way up and be over cautious all the time, there are dickheads aplenty on the road

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I ride Ducati monster don't buy one it will kill you lol mate honestly if you don't have any road bike experience start small and work your way up and be over cautious all the time, there are dickheads aplenty on the road
Cheers, yeah I hear ya mate. I'm over cautious when I am driving my car so you can be sure I will be while on the bike too.

I'm just trying to find something that I can ride on the highway without having it ass ringing off but nothing overly powerful to start with as not to wreck myself unintentionally while learning.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For sure.... Actually I'm guilty getting complacent at times and going out without full gear, which is dumb... It only takes one incident...

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Cheers, yeah I hear ya mate. I'm over cautious when I am driving my car so you can be sure I will be while on the bike too.

I'm just trying to find something that I can ride on the highway without having it ass ringing off but nothing overly powerful to start with as not to wreck myself unintentionally while learning.
I had a CBR 600 years ago and it was a great bike I think they do a 400 now but I’m not sure but the power to weight on the 600 was awesome it would blow off most 1200s from a standing start so the 400 would be a good place to start

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would you think about a road trail to do a bit of exploring?
Those DRZ400 and XR400 look like a good bargain to learn on and see the hills.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I had a CBR 600 years ago and it was a great bike I think they do a 400 now but I’m not sure but the power to weight on the 600 was awesome it would blow off most 1200s from a standing start so the 400 would be a good place to start
Cbr has a 500 lams bike.
I love the Cbr’s light easy to handle and great all around super sports.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I'm pretty much the same height brother. Cheers for the advice. Yeah I was looking at the 300 while looking at the 400 just from the reviews the 400 seemed like a good option. Though mind you you make a good point about the money side of it. You are probably looking at 3k difference in price value between the two. The 400 is 10kg or so lighter with a bit more power.
400 are good but you pay another 2k extra than a 300 and you will upgrade So won’t matter much what bike you start with cause you will upgrade.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Plenty of dick heads on the road almost got swiped 1/2 a dozen time while cars changing lanes.