Moses Mbye unfazed by rumours he's on the outer at Belmore

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Moses Mbye unfazed by rumours he's on the outer at Belmore

Adam Pengilly

Moses Mbye won't seek clarity from Bulldogs coach Des Hasler and chief executive Raelene Castle about his future despite the only member of Canterbury's spine under contract beyond this year being shopped to rival NRL clubs.

A measured Mbye said if he was to be told he was on the outer at Belmore – despite being in the first of a four-year, multimillion-dollar deal at the Bulldogs – then it could be "unsettling" as Canterbury try to amass a salary cap war chest for a roster revamp.

Fairfax Media revealed Mbye has been quietly offered to other clubs as the Bulldogs draw up a recruitment hit-list including Aaron Woods, James Tedesco and Kieran Foran to turn the family club's premiership fortunes around.

But a composed Mbye, 23, said he hadn't spoken to the Bulldogs' top brass about his future with the side eyeing a fourth straight win against the struggling Tigers on Sunday.

"All I know at the moment is I've got a contract here and haven't been spoken to on that sort of level yet," Mbye said. "There's been nothing to question yet.

"To be honest I didn't read [the report], I just got told about it. That's the only place I've heard it being mentioned. Until it's been mentioned here ... that's the only time you would question it. Until then there's no questions to be asked.

"If you read into it too much it can be a shock, but if you haven't had a chat to the hierarchy at the club [then it's not]. If that conversation eventuated then you would probably be a little bit shocked."

Mbye's fortunes have wavered vastly since he emerged as one of the game's hottest young prospects, virtually forcing the Bulldogs to offload former State of Origin halfback Trent Hodkinson to accommodate him.

But as the Bulldogs laboured through the second half of last year there has been talk of a major squad overhaul which has had Mbye, skipper James Graham, Greg Eastwood and even the Morris twins rumoured to be the players potentially moved on to clear the decks.

"You sign a high-quality player obviously someone has to go," Josh Morris said. "There have been no discussions with my manager and I haven't had a tap on the shoulder.

"I think the only way of going about it is by playing good football and showing your worth by going out there and performing each week. If you're playing good football then those rumours don't surface I guess.

"[But] I think this is definitely the worst we have seen [the player market speculation] in my time. I don't remember so many good players coming off [contract] at the same time and clubs chase so hard. The salary cap solution hasn't helped. That's why there is the mad rush. There is just that uncertainty.

"Every player has to do what is best for them and if a club is throwing big money at them they have to take it."

The Bulldogs also have a raft of their key playmakers unsigned beyond 2017 including Mbye's halves partner Josh Reynolds, fullback Will Hopoate and hooker Michael Lichaa – the latter two at least facing an uphill battle to be in blue and white in 2018.

But while the frenzied market creates a distraction the Bulldogs have turned their fortunes around on the field with Mbye splitting time between halfback and hooker as Hasler has cannily added rookie Matt Frawley into the mix.

"Eighteen months ago I was playing halfback here, was going well and earned myself a new deal and I feel like I'm still going pretty well," Mbye said. "I'm in a good spot.

"[The rumours] can be unsettling, but it's not unsettling until something eventuates from it. If I was to get spoken to by either our CEO or coach about it then it could become a problem, but at the moment no one has spoken about it. It hasn't really become an issue yet.

"Unless [my manager] gets the call or I get the call then I guess we'll have some questions to ask

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like nothing but a team in turmoil full of backstabbers and dogging.... Who would want to play for this club anymore seriously?

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
to be honest the NRL is really fucking the clubs around by not announcing the salary cap, they have had an eternity to work it out and are being greedy by the sounds of it. Cant blame clubs when they have no idea what they're budget is and they have to try and squeeze players under a cap amount that could be anywhere between $800000-$2million more

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Moses ain't going nowhere
Des loves him to the moon and back
He'd be the last to leave
Reynolds won't be there in my books

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Eighteen months ago I was playing halfback here, was going well and earned myself a new deal and I feel like I'm still going pretty well," Mbye said. "I'm in a good spot.
you had one good game !! Just delusional

Reactions: DT

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What's wrong with just keeping Frawley? He's been a revelation ..

Oh hang on I think I have déjà vu except last time it was Damien Cook I was talking about.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2017 is a write off.... all the speculation would be killing the players. Sometime soon they need to be told what is happening and why just so they can move on ffs

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2017 is a write off.... all the speculation would be killing the players. Sometime soon they need to be told what is happening and why just so they can move on ffs
I dare say they've been coasting along for a few years now.
The broom is getting ready to sweep, so lets see this year who wants to play and stay and who wants to coast elsewhere.

We have all been bored and frustrated for far too long now and it appears the message finally got through, a clean out is needed and it's happening, finally!

Hasler got the kick up the arse he desperately needed and now its the players turn.

I hate to see turmoil at the club and dont want to potentially lose favourite players but i also want to win the comp, its been waaaaaaaaay too long.

Now is the time to see who is in or out, bring it on i say and lets see these guys earn their massive salaries.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyones been on here whinging that if you keep doing the same things and expect a different result you are delusional and now we are changing things and people are worried that the players might be unsettled. Can't make an omelette..... Every team in the comp is in the same boat. Storm have lost 2 guns for next year, Eels??, Rorters, Tigers, Dragons, Newcastle, Titans all of them are in churn. Even Broncs have lost their 7. If the players couldn't handle it we wouldn't have a comp these days. It's the way of the world.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Castle get off your fat arse and sort this fucking shit out and pronto.
Did she have nothing to do with the signing of Woods and Foran? You've been banging on that she had to do something to sign some good players. Done. Now its her fault that you thing some of the players might need a cuddle because she is doing her job? If you want to throw rocks fine, but surely there must be a daisy out the back you can hand to her for this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.