Moses Mbye says he wants to be the Bulldogs version of Johnathan Thurston in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
MOSES Mbye is ready to be Canterbury’s version of Johnathan Thurston, with the young gun taking up goalkicking duties to flourish as the Bulldogs’ main man next season.

Bulldogs halfback Trent Hodkinson’s departure to Newcastle in 2016 has opened the door for Mbye, who is taking inspiration from Thurston to fire in Canterbury’s No. 7 jumper.

As a kid growing up in Noosa, Mbye idolised Thurston and Broncos legend Darren Lockyer. Now he hopes to bring a Thurston-like influence to the Bulldogs, a decade after the club inexplicably allowed the four-time Dally M winner to slip the net.

Mbye has been watching footage of Thurston, noting the cool-head that saw the Maroons ace clinch the Cowboys’ maiden title with his epic field goal in the NRL grand final three weeks ago.

The 22-year-old played 23 games in his first full season this year for the Bulldogs and says he is ready to take the next step as Canterbury’s chief shot-caller.

“I’m enjoying my footy at the Bulldogs and next year there is a chance for me to really stamp my mark with Trent leaving,” Mbye said.

“I watch a few guys but for me Johnathan Thurston is one guy you can learn from. He’s on the next level and I’ve learnt a lot this year just by watching him.

“There’s a few halves I like to keep an eye on. I’d love to be able to play like Thurston or Cooper Cronk (Storm No. 7) but I was also impressed by Ben Hunt (Broncos halfback) this year, he played some outstanding footy and he wasn’t bad to watch.

“I definitely love playing in the halves and the opportunity is there for me to show what I can do.”

Complacency certainly won’t be an issue. Mbye leaves for a family holiday to Bali on Saturday, but just 24 hours earlier he was training alone as he attempts to fill the massive goalkicking void left by Hodkinson.

“With Hodko going, it looks like I’m going to be the fulltime goalkicker so I’ve already been out there working on it,” Mbye said.

“I didn’t kick goals as a kid. I nailed a few this year in games but I’ve never been a goalkicker, so I need to do some work in that area.

“I don’t know if I will be the next Daryl Halligan (former Bulldogs sharpshooter) but hopefully I can do the job well.”

Mbye admits the three-way battle with Hodkinson and Josh Reynolds for two starting halves spots tested his patience.

“It was a tough situation,” he said. “Three guys going for two positions made it hard for everyone.

“Hodko and Josh were the incumbent (NSW) Origin halves so they were always going to be first choice which was understandable.

“It was hard for me to break into the side but now I get my chance. I need a big pre-season and hopefully with some good trials I can nail that starting spot and be a long-term playmaker at the Dogs.”

Talking already ??

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please des get chook to give him some coaching

BulldogFit

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mbye won't do shit and that's our problem in 2016 . No halfback

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As a Dogs fan I wish and hope Mbye all the luck and success this coming 2016 season and I hope against hope that he can become another JT for us but until then Moses talk is cheap and excuse me if I'm not overly excited as the back end of 2015 was a bit of a disaster.

Johnathan Thurston >>>>>>>>>> Day Light >>>>>>>>> Mose Mbye. Moses you will have your work cut out to even be able to emulate the man himself!!!!

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He idolised Thurston as a kid yet never kicked goals! What was he a groupie?

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye will never be as good as Thurston

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
FFS just shut the fuk up and concentrate on playing.

And I agree with BJD, he will never been as good as JT.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Mbye will break under pressure he will start the year good then struggle

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Id rather he practice his kicking game than goal kicks..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jt was alot more humble than mbye and actually was prepared to stay at the dogs and not play them

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not once did he day he wants to be the bulldogs JT but okay lol

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few extra kicks at goal would have been a better use of his time than that interview

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope he has a good off season and I'll judge him mid way through next season.

He always talked about wanting to play in the 6 jersey. Maybe expecting him to just take over the 7 and control the team was too much. It did look like the pressure got to him and he didn't get much help from Reynolds tbh.

A full off season with him understanding his exact role will do him a world of good.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
He isn't a halfback. And I feel sorry that he is being forced that play that position.

chrise186

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Whats with all this verbal bashing every time one of our players has a article in the paper.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whats with all this verbal bashing every time one of our players has a article in the paper.
Because they never follow up with action. Hodko had a dozen articles saying he will do this and that.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
cos our players talk Gold and play shiit.

should be the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.