Moses Mbye named Tigers captain

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Wests Tigers are delighted to announce that Moses Mbye will be the club’s captain for the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Mbye, 25, has played 103 first-grade games since making his NRL debut for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in 2014. He joined Wests Tigers midway through the 2018 season and is signed at the club until at least the end of the 2022 season.

The Noosa Pirates junior has also represented the Prime Minister’s XIII (2016) and World All Stars (2017) and featured as part of the Queensland Origin camp in 2018.

Mbye will be supported by Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah, Chris Lawrence, Russell Packer, Luke Brooks and Elijah Taylor as part of the club’s leadership group in 2019.

Wests Tigers Head Coach Michael Maguire congratulated Mbye on his appointment.

“On behalf of everyone at Wests Tigers, I would like to congratulate Moses on being named captain,” Maguire said. “To captain a club with the shared history of Wests Tigers is a tremendous privilege and we are equally confident and proud to have him lead us in 2019.

“Moses is incredibly well respected by his teammates and carries himself extremely well both on and off the field.

"He is a great role model for all young players in the game and is more than capable of leading us forward in to an exciting time in Wests Tigers history.

“I’d also like to acknowledge and congratulate Benji, Robbie, Chris, Russell, Luke and Elijah on their appointment to our leadership group,” he said. “Their experience and leadership qualities are a tremendous asset to our team, and it’s pleasing to recognise the key role that they will play alongside Moses as leaders in 2019.

“Every person in this team has an important contribution to make this year as leaders — on and off the field — and we’re excited to move ahead with the group that we have.”

Mbye said that he was extremely proud to be named as Wests Tigers captain.

“Being named captain today is one of the proudest moments of my career,” Mbye said.

“Growing up, it was a dream of mine to simply play one game in the NRL, so I consider myself extremely fortunate to have had the career I have so far, and to now be recognised in this way by my teammates and coaches.

“Ever since I joined Wests Tigers, I have felt extremely comfortable and have learned so much off the players here.

"I feel like I’ve been here for a lot longer than I have with how well I’ve settled in and I’m looking forward to representing this club for many more years.

Moses Mbye is mobbed by his Wests Tigers teammates after scoring his first try for the club.
“I’m also incredibly grateful to be part of a team with such a strong leadership group, and I look forward to working with them to drive not only our team but our club in the right direction," he said.

“On and off the field, Wests Tigers have taken huge steps forward in recent years and I am thrilled to be a part of the exciting future that is ahead.

"To help lead this team forward is a tremendous honour and something I am incredibly excited about.”

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Might be a good way to stop him disappearing for long portions of the game.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bit of a strange choice he is good at the bullshit talk off the field but not so sure about how he will go on it especially with big egos like Farah and Benji.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
**** can talk himself up. I'll give him that much credit.

Might be a good way to stop him disappearing for long portions of the game.
McGuire is a hell of a coach if he can get Mbye to contribute for a whole game.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Farah? Marshall? Brooks? Lawrence?

Yet they pick a self-talking hype who cannot walk the talk who's only been at the club for 7 months? Are you kidding me???

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can't believe he talked his way into becoming their captain after 9 games. What a self absorbed ****.

Salty ***** lol, move on

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reynolds not named in leadership group. He may not be in Maguire’s long term plans? Mmm If Robbie and Benji don’t like Moses style they will spread word for mutiny of him hahaha

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Have they figured out his best position yet?

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Reynolds not named in leadership group. He may not be in Maguire’s long term plans? Mmm If Robbie and Benji don’t like Moses style they will spread word for mutiny of him hahaha
They will retire at the end of the year. I highly doubt they will have a massive say going forward for the Tigers

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect captain, **** can talk under water, never forget the bullshit talk he woukd do on 360 or talk about what he needed to do or me n Dessie and me n the boys , bla bla if you weren’t hooker we woukd of beat Souths in 2014

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wtf is this "leadership group" bullshit clubs have? Have ONE captain and fuck off already.

Remember when Stain Merge had 3 captains on the field? I think the Womanbashertohs did the same thing not long ago.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Corey Thompson has more influence on the field than this bloke.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahaha whhoohahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahagahagaha agghaaa

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahajahahahjajajajajajhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahhahaaaa. My ribs hurt.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I needed a laugh after a shit morning at work Cheers Madge

exactly my sentiments when i looked at the title of this thread.

The **** is talented, in talking his way to get biggest pay packet a non rep player has ever received and still having no idea what his best position is. Now he has been given the clubs captaincy. mega lol

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Bit of a strange choice he is good at the bullshit talk off the field but not so sure about how he will go on it especially with big egos like Farah and Benji.
There are no ego's at the Tigers. Only at the Bulldogs, Mythbye said it himself :sweatsmile:

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cos Mbyebye performs so well when he has responsibility :tearsofjoy: