Moses: Dogs snubbing 'best thing that's happened to me'

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Were it not for Des Hasler, Mitch Moses could easily be in blue and white rather than blue and gold.

"I don't care," Moses says.

"It's probably the best thing that's happened to me, not going there and then coming here. It's good that that happened."

What happened was the whole "rugby league is a business" cliché laid bare.

Among the protracted contract negotiations of the Wests Tigers' once-fabled "Big Four" in early 2017, the Bulldogs came in large for James Tedesco, Aaron Woods and their great mate Moses.

Then-chairman Ray Dib maintained all three were Belmore-bound until Hasler had second thoughts on Moses, his defence understood to be the Mad Scientist's sticking point.

Tedesco tried to convince Hasler otherwise and, when he couldn't, took up his other option across town.

"It doesn't matter," Moses says when recalling the blunt Bulldogs snub. "I'm loving it here at the moment."

Tedesco will say the same as the game's best player at the Roosters, ditto Hasler en route to Dally M Coach of the Year honours at Manly.

Meanwhile Moses, with 24 try assists (first in the NRL), 163 points (fourth) and 386 kick metres a game (first), is in career-best touch.

To be fair the Bulldogs are on the way up too, heading into Thursday's local derby with five wins from their last seven outings.

And where Hasler's brushing landed Moses in the Eels No.7 jersey, Brad Arthur's backing has seen him own it.

"That's a big thing that Brad's helped me out with," Moses says.

"He's shown a lot of confidence in me. I'm the halfback of the team and he wants me to take control of the team.

"Seeing him have confidence in me gives me confidence to go out on the field and do it. He's been massive for me this year and my development."

Last October, Arthur gave it to Moses straight. He was free to leave Parramatta if he wanted, if that famous blue and gold No.7 wasn't going to fit.

Peter Sterling, he of the four-title Midas touch and an apparent curse on that same jumper, has snipered the 24-year-old more than once too.

Nothing personal. Just one of the game's most respected analysts calling it as he sees it.

Which is why Moses now calls Sterling "whenever I'm struggling and need to ask him for some tips".

Sterling described a pre-season meeting with Moses and his rookie halves partner Dylan Brown frankly last week.

"Mitch Moses basically said that he had to pull his head in to some degree," Sterling told Wide World of Sports.

"I won't say lairise, but he was overconfident and that had to be reined back in."

Moses won't cop mention of the Sterling curse. Or joining Tim Smith, Chris Sandow, Kieran Foran and John Simon among 30 others to have been chewed up and spat out since the Eels icon retired.

But Moses has copped the tip from Parramatta's greatest, and still does.

"Whenever I see him and I give him a call every now and then if I'm struggling and need to ask him for some tips.

"He's pretty open to that and he's let me know at the start of the year that whenever I need to chat, he's happy to do it so I had a chat with him a couple of weeks ago.

"He's been good for me. He's one of the best halfbacks to play the game.

"Whatever we chat about, that's strictly between me and Sterlo, and the club really. I don't feel there's a need to let everyone know what's happening.

"But anywhere he can give me tips on how to play footy. I'm going to listen and I'm going to try it in the game."

Moses has been at this first grade caper for six years now, with 126 games under his belt.

It's easy to forget he's still just 24. He's come through those very public contract negotiations, a very messy Tigers exit, a superb 2017 finals run and Lebanese World Cup campaign followed by last year's wooden spoon and career crossroads.

"Out the other side yet?"

"Jeez I hope so ... far out."

Lessons appear to have been learned.

Told he could take his services elsewhere, Moses took to pre-season training early in response, cancelling a boys trip to the US to see Connor McGregor fight.

Having started 2019 in promising form, a three-year Eels extension was signed in June, Moses keeping his cards close publicly throughout negotiations.

"Coming through that Tigers system where probably 80 per cent of the team was under 24, under 25, coming through that system, we had a lot of good times and I had a lot of close mates there that I still talk to today," Moses says.

"I learnt a lot of harsh lessons there [with] what we were going through at the start of my career.

"Even last year, I learnt a lot of hard lessons here at Parra as well. Hopefully I'm out the other side.

"Coming off the year I had last year, I had no leg to stand on at all to be able to go away on those kind of trips and have the off-season that sometimes you wish you can have.

"I had to do something. I was under the pump here and I wanted to prove to the club, no one else, but prove to the club that I want to be here.

"It's not that I'm just coming here and collecting my pay and dogging it on the field.

"I wanted to come here and work hard and show the club that I want to be the 7 and I want to take control of the team."

- Glad Moses didn't come as for Woods we al know what happened with that dude came and gone quicker than the flash running and as for Tedesco interesting what could have been if he came to us, would he have been the player he is now or would Dessie stuff him up like many other he has in the past???? Either way looks like we are now on the right path FINALLY and 2021 looks to be more positive, us loyal supporters need to start smiling again!!! -

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Were it not for Des Hasler, Mitch Moses could easily be in blue and white rather than blue and gold.

"I don't care," Moses says.

"It's probably the best thing that's happened to me, not going there and then coming here. It's good that that happened."

What happened was the whole "rugby league is a business" cliché laid bare.

Among the protracted contract negotiations of the Wests Tigers' once-fabled "Big Four" in early 2017, the Bulldogs came in large for James Tedesco, Aaron Woods and their great mate Moses.

Then-chairman Ray Dib maintained all three were Belmore-bound until Hasler had second thoughts on Moses, his defence understood to be the Mad Scientist's sticking point.

Tedesco tried to convince Hasler otherwise and, when he couldn't, took up his other option across town.

"It doesn't matter," Moses says when recalling the blunt Bulldogs snub. "I'm loving it here at the moment."

Tedesco will say the same as the game's best player at the Roosters, ditto Hasler en route to Dally M Coach of the Year honours at Manly.

Meanwhile Moses, with 24 try assists (first in the NRL), 163 points (fourth) and 386 kick metres a game (first), is in career-best touch.

To be fair the Bulldogs are on the way up too, heading into Thursday's local derby with five wins from their last seven outings.

And where Hasler's brushing landed Moses in the Eels No.7 jersey, Brad Arthur's backing has seen him own it.

"That's a big thing that Brad's helped me out with," Moses says.

"He's shown a lot of confidence in me. I'm the halfback of the team and he wants me to take control of the team.

"Seeing him have confidence in me gives me confidence to go out on the field and do it. He's been massive for me this year and my development."

Last October, Arthur gave it to Moses straight. He was free to leave Parramatta if he wanted, if that famous blue and gold No.7 wasn't going to fit.

Peter Sterling, he of the four-title Midas touch and an apparent curse on that same jumper, has snipered the 24-year-old more than once too.

Nothing personal. Just one of the game's most respected analysts calling it as he sees it.

Which is why Moses now calls Sterling "whenever I'm struggling and need to ask him for some tips".

Sterling described a pre-season meeting with Moses and his rookie halves partner Dylan Brown frankly last week.

"Mitch Moses basically said that he had to pull his head in to some degree," Sterling told Wide World of Sports.

"I won't say lairise, but he was overconfident and that had to be reined back in."

Moses won't cop mention of the Sterling curse. Or joining Tim Smith, Chris Sandow, Kieran Foran and John Simon among 30 others to have been chewed up and spat out since the Eels icon retired.

But Moses has copped the tip from Parramatta's greatest, and still does.

"Whenever I see him and I give him a call every now and then if I'm struggling and need to ask him for some tips.

"He's pretty open to that and he's let me know at the start of the year that whenever I need to chat, he's happy to do it so I had a chat with him a couple of weeks ago.

"He's been good for me. He's one of the best halfbacks to play the game.

"Whatever we chat about, that's strictly between me and Sterlo, and the club really. I don't feel there's a need to let everyone know what's happening.

"But anywhere he can give me tips on how to play footy. I'm going to listen and I'm going to try it in the game."

Moses has been at this first grade caper for six years now, with 126 games under his belt.

It's easy to forget he's still just 24. He's come through those very public contract negotiations, a very messy Tigers exit, a superb 2017 finals run and Lebanese World Cup campaign followed by last year's wooden spoon and career crossroads.

"Out the other side yet?"

"Jeez I hope so ... far out."

Lessons appear to have been learned.

Told he could take his services elsewhere, Moses took to pre-season training early in response, cancelling a boys trip to the US to see Connor McGregor fight.

Having started 2019 in promising form, a three-year Eels extension was signed in June, Moses keeping his cards close publicly throughout negotiations.

"Coming through that Tigers system where probably 80 per cent of the team was under 24, under 25, coming through that system, we had a lot of good times and I had a lot of close mates there that I still talk to today," Moses says.

"I learnt a lot of harsh lessons there [with] what we were going through at the start of my career.

"Even last year, I learnt a lot of hard lessons here at Parra as well. Hopefully I'm out the other side.

"Coming off the year I had last year, I had no leg to stand on at all to be able to go away on those kind of trips and have the off-season that sometimes you wish you can have.

"I had to do something. I was under the pump here and I wanted to prove to the club, no one else, but prove to the club that I want to be here.

"It's not that I'm just coming here and collecting my pay and dogging it on the field.

"I wanted to come here and work hard and show the club that I want to be the 7 and I want to take control of the team."

- Glad Moses didn't come as for Woods we al know what happened with that dude came and gone quicker than the flash running and as for Tedesco interesting what could have been if he came to us, would he have been the player he is now or would Dessie stuff him up like many other he has in the past???? Either way looks like we are now on the right path FINALLY and 2021 looks to be more positive, us loyal supporters need to start smiling again!!! -
Would only have taken Tebasco the other 2 can piss off but like you said that is now the past so now lets look forward to 2020 and beyond!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's been a long and inconsistent route that Moses took to get to this one reasonably good season. I'm not upset at all that he was reputedly rejected by the mad scientist. I can't help but think we'd be in an even worse position if we'd managed to sign all three of Tedesco, Woods and Moses. It's a shame we lost Graham to get Woods here. All I really care about this week is beating the Eels.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fk off Moses you inconsistent pile. Enjoy the wooden spoon mate.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a load of shit. I bet Moses was sulking like a big girl when the Bulldogs brushes him. I reckon if the Eels were running last he would have kept his trap shut.
He was looked over because at the time he was inconsistent and couldn’t tackle. Even his own club wanted him gone last year.
Yes he’s turned it around, but don’t go putting shit on another club just to boost your already inflated ego.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a feeling we might win tonight and every commentator
On fox sports will suck us off like they always backed us, I’m so proud of our team. Pay has got the boys firing like the defence especially against Penrith and Souths has been amazing. The eels and us have history and we are pretty on par with them , hoopa and Foran and dwz will stand up to
Lead to lead the way

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Mitch Mitch Mitch.

I appreciate that you wanted to be part of our club (for what reason I don't know), however, you were NEVER on our radar. The reason for this is that the DEStroyer of our club signed a fat flop for $800,000 (who didn't even last half a season) and by then, we had already signed a half and had no more money to spend. Why did we have no more money? Because the DEStroyer of our club signed that half, Keiran Foran, for...

upload_2019-8-22_8-35-5.png

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis and cogger will develop into better. Players,than that parra turd,and half the cost.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The only good one was Tedesco anyway.

Still fuck Hasler for what he did to the club and how far he puts us behind with his stupid decisions on some of the players he did sign.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meh. Don’t need him. Never did..!!

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moses about on par with the other Moses both crap

Doooogiez

Waterboy
Reaction score
It was the best thing for the Bulldogs that he didn't come... Can't stand him as a person or player

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moses is the ultimate flat track bully he looks like a super star when his team is well on top but if you put him under pressure in big games he's no where to be seen.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait to see Moses in the finals. It's all well and good to be playing teams out of the eight and winning games making him look good but this guy can't handle pressure footy, never has. He will be found out big time.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Mitch Mitch Mitch.

I appreciate that you wanted to be part of our club (for what reason I don't know), however, you were NEVER on our radar. The reason for this is that the DEStroyer of our club signed a fat flop for $800,000 (who didn't even last half a season) and by then, we had already signed a half and had no more money to spend. Why did we have no more money? Because the DEStroyer of our club signed that half, Keiran Foran, for...

View attachment 11071
The truth about Moses, Tedesco and Woods is officially & finally out !!!
Let's not forget Wahesh...
By then Destroyer's intentions were to destroy the club, after sacking his cronies
He signed and backended very high contracts for his boyfriends, eg Foran and Hopoate
He sacked loyal players, eg Pritchard and Finucane to say the least !!!
He could have fixed Moses's defence, eg the way he fixed Ben Barbers 2012 ( player of the year )!
I am not a fan of Woods but his ball-playing combined with Tolmans hard-work and Klemmers bulldozing would have been a success
Because of his Moses rejection ( for Foran ) we lost one of the best if not the best player in the world in Tedesco !!!
But NO...that would have spoiled his plan of DESTRUCTION !!!
What is amazing...The people who are celebrating that we might be OK in 2021 as long as Moses isn't at our club !!!
Has our STANDARDS become so pathetically low for some people ?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The truth about Moses, Tedesco and Woods is officially & finally out !!!
Let's not forget Wahesh...
By then Destroyer's intentions were to destroy the club, after sacking his cronies
He signed and backended very high contracts for his boyfriends, eg Foran and Hopoate
He sacked loyal players, eg Pritchard and Finucane to say the least !!!
He could have fixed Moses's defence, eg the way he fixed Ben Barbers 2012 ( player of the year )!
I am not a fan of Woods but his ball-playing combined with Tolmans hard-work and Klemmers bulldozing would have been a success
Because of his Moses rejection ( for Foran ) we lost one of the best if not the best player in the world in Tedesco !!!
But NO...that would have spoiled his plan of DESTRUCTION !!!
What is amazing...The people who are celebrating that we might be OK in 2021 as long as Moses isn't at our club !!!
Has our STANDARDS become so pathetically low for some people ?

Get over it Des has been gone over two years ago! This has no relevance to where we are going as a club now.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Runs in the family - a big mouthed over-rated footballer - just like his uncle Ben Elias.