Morris boys to launch a twin assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
By Dean Ritchie | October 13, 2009 11:00pm

THEY have always been known as Slippery's kids.

The baby-faced twins who grew up with a famous dad who wowed rugby league fans with his deeds for St George, NSW and Australia.

It has taken 23 years, but Josh and Brett Morris have finally shifted away from the imposing shadow left by their well-known dad, Steve "Slippery" Morris.

Josh and Brett yesterday came together to reveal their relief and delight at now having their own identities after winning selection in Australia's 24-man Four Nations squad, which leaves on Friday for England.

Asked had the twins finally stepped out of their father's shadow, Brett said: "It is good to be recognised for who we are.

"We aren't the old man's baggage anymore."

Josh added: "We are certainly proud of what Dad achieved. He was a great player.

"But we aren't the same type of player he was.

"Dad didn't get us here. It took a lot of hard work from both of us."

Brett scored 25 tries on the Dragons' wing this year while Josh crossed 22 times in the centres for Canterbury.

They were, simply, a revelation.

Brett initially missed selection but was finally added to the squad after Israel Folau withdrew with an ankle injury.

"It will be good to have a familiar face around and also good to play with Brett again after a year apart," Josh said. "Not that many players get to play for Australia. It is a privilege to represent your country.

"Having your twin bother there is something I'm sure we will look back on in later life and be very proud of.

"We are pretty close as brothers. We always have been."

Brett won a Dally M gong for the season's leading tryscorer.

He has remarkable speed and evasive skills and could really do some damage against the slow Poms.

"I am very excited to be here," Brett said. "It is great for myself and great to have my brother here.

"It will certainly make things a lot easier having him here.

"Josh has always been one of the best critics I have had. We used to comment on each other's game.

"Not so much this year, being at different clubs, but more so when we were growing up.

"Josh has had a great year and deserved to be rewarded."

Steve Morris was a brilliant halfback for Saints before re-inventing himself as a flying winger later in his career. He played in the Dragons' 1979 premiership-winning team.

"I was pretty disappointed with the way it finished for both the Dragons and the Bulldogs," Steve said. "But they both had really good years so it's great they've been rewarded together.

"I was more disappointed when Josh got picked for Brett not getting picked.

"But it's a great thing he got the call, too. It's absolutely great."
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26206090-5003409,00.html

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
when the big games arrive i think only 1 of them will be in it. 1, 3, 4 and 5 are pretty much chosen. 1 wing spot available.

Theyll prob both get to play together against france or if they are throught already

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
both of them have stepped up this year. maybe because they are playing at different clubs has benefited both of them.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is 1 vacant wing spot in the top side. They will be battling each other for it.

As Hansta said, I expect them to form a centre and wing pair vs France. Great sight that will be.

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to the four nations. I normally don't give a cr!p about rep footy. Hopefully JoMo gets the most tries.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
both the morris boys have been awesome this year and they deserve their selection in the australian side...congrats to both of them

Toyntman

Monstered Him
Reaction score
Be good to see them both in there, I feckin hate Hodges. These boys are guns!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its a shame Josh is missing out because he is just as good as Brett, maybe Brett should let him have a run, no one will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.