Morgan Harper out, Bryson Goodwin in

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If we give Harper to Souths and take Goodwin that will do me I have zero faith left in this dismal club... Awaiting free article lol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
An NRL veteran and former Canterbury player is on the Bulldogs’ recruitment radar, and it’s not Wests Tigers playmaker Josh Reynolds.

The Daily Telegraph understands that South Sydney outside back Bryson Goodwin is being discussed as an option to help inject experience into the Bulldogs side.

Goodwin, 34, played 68 games for the Bulldogs between 2009 and 2012. He had notched up 176 NRL games before leaving the Rabbitohs for the Warrington Wolves in the English Super League in 2018.

Goodwin returned to the NRL in 2020 on a one-year deal with the Rabbitohs.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal rising centre Morgan Harper, 22, will be leaving the club at the end of this season after he signed with the Manly Sea Eagles on a two-year deal starting from 2021.

Turning to a veteran back who turns 35 in December and letting go of an up and coming centre is surely a decision to leave Canterbury fans scratching their heads.

But The Daily Telegraph understands the club’s recruitment committee has a different school of thought than coach Dean Pay when it comes to turning the side’s fortunes around on the field in 2020.

Coach Pay is seeking experience to help get him wins on the board, which is why players like Reynolds and Goodwin have been sounded out.

But other senior club officials want to back younger and rising players.

It makes the decision to allow Harper, who has been at Belmore since he was 15 years old, all the more curious.

Harper agreed to terms with the Sea Eagles before COVID-19 forced the competition into shutdown.

And after limited opportunities to make a name for himself at Belmore, the youngster asked for an immediate release from the Bulldogs to join Des Hasler’s Sea Eagles in 2020 but the request was denied.

Harper, who made his NRL debut in round 25 in season 2019, has not been named in the side since but is highly regarded among his teammates at Canterbury.

After slumping to their third-straight loss against the Sea Eagles at Gosford, senior Bulldogs players urged coach Pay to consider adding Harper to the starting side at centre as part of a backline shake-up.

Pay will make mass changes to the side he named on Tuesday, including a back five shake-up, but Harper still won’t take the field against St George Illawarra on Monday with Jake Averillo and Reimis Smith preferred at centre.

In other signing news, The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Penrith Panthers are set to announce rising flyer Brian To’o has extended his time at the club.

To’o, who made his NRL debut in 2019, will remain at the club until the end of season 2023.

The local junior burst onto the scene last season scoring nine tries from 15 games.

To’o has continued his strong form in 2020 with a stellar performance against Newcastle last weekend. The Panthers local junior notched up 286 run metres, nine tackle busts and two line breaks.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cmon guys heaps of people have said we need to recruit like 2009! The club has taken it literally!

A

Alexander the Great

Fake news. No way we trade them Harper for that useless ****.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I honestly hate our club ATM... How do we fuck things up so badly... Can't even lock up our own juniors and all this would have come from the fuckwits that allowed Smith to try play centre when he's clearly a winger. Run by a bunch of dumb ***** honestly.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Better be a gee up by the papers.... If this ends up happening I'm done watching for this year.... Pathetic, we are a the laughing stock of the league it's a dead set discrace... Recruitment is a joke, Morgan harper is the future we need to move forward but we are only going backwards.... I'm not putting up with this shit much longer

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Get farked! This can't be true, I've never seen or heard of so many consecutive backwards arsed recruitment decisions from a single club in a lifetime let alone over a continual downward spiral of 5-6 years.

Seems as though the NRL, the media and even our coaching staff and administration are out to destroy the club.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was never that convinced about Harper but it would have been nice to keep him. Goodwin is a real head scratcher. Anyway let’s wait and see what happens hopefully it’s another McCullough.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is it true they are looking at bringing Jake Mamo from Warrington Wolves?

A

Alexander the Great

Take it with a grain of salt. Letting go of Harper i can live with as long as we upgrade.

Its the daily telegraph after all...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Is it true they are looking at bringing Jake Mamo from Warrington Wolves?
Hope not... Mamo was a little fuckwit with a big attitude problem imo. Could have changed his tune over the years though