More NRL incompetence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
SOO Game 2 is the only guaranteed "sudden death" game in the Origin series. Neither team can win the series in game 1, and game 3 is half the time a dead rubber. So why do the two teams least likely to lose key players to Origin get given a bye before game 2? Canberra and Warriors lost one player between them for game 1 (Papalii, who wasn't a great loss tbh), and as it stands at the moment may only be losing Papalii between them for game 2, this depends on whether or not Lillyman and/or Milford are required to replace injured players.

Is this an area where the NRL has failed to show sufficient foresight? The teams not getting a bye before an Origin match at all this season are: Bulldogs, Titans, Souffs, Roosters, and Tiggers, all of whom are more likely to lose key personnel than either the Raiders or Warriors. Of the teams getting byes, Manly, Eels, Storm, Knights, Warriors, Raiders, and Broncos get byes before 2 of the 3 Origins.

This is beyond a joke, it is massively unfair. It is high time the NRL sorted things out. The rubbish about "needing the salary cap to create an even competition" looks absolutely laughable when you consider the way the byes are spread out during Origin period. On top of that is the awful fixture system that doesn't provide for full home and away competition between teams. It's high time to get real NRL.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its the money factor, SOO brings in so much revenue to the nrl. Plus a white wash is a big statement and the "fighting for pride" thing they give the losing team

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Spreading the byes are very hard now to be honest due to that we have an even number of teams playing weekly, if a new team join or one folds it might solve the issue and force us to go back to the old system which was very good in my opinion.

If we go off a system which is based of key players lost the Storm would have 3 byes and the Broncos would be getting 2-3 aswell, its hard and someone needs to put forward an idea. Bennett did but I forgot how it goes

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bellamy had a big whinge about it last year when we flogged em 39 to nuthin' so that's why storm have a bye.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly don't think Origin gets a look in at all in regards to the draw.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bellamy had a big whinge about it last year when we flogged em 39 to nuthin' so that's why storm have a bye.
I couldn't hear him with all that dick in his mouth lol

It could be random but I reckon Origin, test matches and player rosters are looked at for it.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the broncos didnt have a bye I would agree with you but that team is the protected species of the NRL jungle.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
16 teams. 8 plays 8.

No need for ANY team to have a bye.

NRL need an all or nothing approach to Origins.

All teams play, or all teams have a bye.

Play Under 20s, Reserves and Full SOO games on same day, and hold it on a Saturday night.

You'd sell out everytime.

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps you could reward the top 8 or top 4 teams with being able to choose when they have their byes the following season. That way no one can whinge about whether or not they had a bye before Origin games.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
SOO Game 2 is the only guaranteed "sudden death" game in the Origin series. Neither team can win the series in game 1, and game 3 is half the time a dead rubber. So why do the two teams least likely to lose key players to Origin get given a bye before game 2? Canberra and Warriors lost one player between them for game 1 (Papalii, who wasn't a great loss tbh), and as it stands at the moment may only be losing Papalii between them for game 2, this depends on whether or not Lillyman and/or Milford are required to replace injured players.

Is this an area where the NRL has failed to show sufficient foresight? The teams not getting a bye before an Origin match at all this season are: Bulldogs, Titans, Souffs, Roosters, and Tiggers, all of whom are more likely to lose key personnel than either the Raiders or Warriors. Of the teams getting byes, Manly, Eels, Storm, Knights, Warriors, Raiders, and Broncos get byes before 2 of the 3 Origins.

This is beyond a joke, it is massively unfair. It is high time the NRL sorted things out. The rubbish about "needing the salary cap to create an even competition" looks absolutely laughable when you consider the way the byes are spread out during Origin period. On top of that is the awful fixture system that doesn't provide for full home and away competition between teams. It's high time to get real NRL.
While I agree with all your points you would have thought at the start of season, Morris would be the only Bulldog playing origin.

Still Origin has hit us hard.

The only plausible answer I can see is having a bye for all teams during origins.

As suggested by another Kennel member, Origin could have a NSW cup origin, under 20's origin, under 18's origin & possibly international games. The NRL could make Origin even bigger without hurting club teams.

Note: Origin would have to be played on the weekend for this to occur!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
While I agree with all your points you would have thought at the start of season, Morris would be the only Bulldog playing origin.
Reynolds was a better than even chance according to most of the media punters at the start of the season, though they were picking him on the bench.

Either way, in principle the way the fixtures are worked out flies in the face of the nominated principle behind enforcing a salary cap.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reynolds was a better than even chance according to most of the media punters at the start of the season, though they were picking him on the bench.

Either way, in principle the way the fixtures are worked out flies in the face of the nominated principle behind enforcing a salary cap.
Fair enough but they need to stop disadvantaging only some teams.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
I'm still in favour of suspending the NRL for weeks when SOO is being played, and tacking on three more weeks, probably two in March and one in September.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm still in favour of suspending the NRL for weeks when SOO is being played, and tacking on three more weeks, probably two in March and one in September.
That would still leave the matter of the unequal home and away fixture situation. If the NRL is fair-dinkum it is time they arranged things so that every team plays every other team twice during the regular season. The only feasible way to do this is to reduce the number of top flight teams, or, to create two levels of top flight teams.

Phil Gould has suggested an American style conference system, maybe that is the way to go. The GF ends up being played between the two conference champions. That way there would also be more local derbies.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I believe the byes are randomly drawn just like the rest of the games. They would see being random being fair. But TBH i am a big fan of all teams having time off during the origin series. Have a month off at the halfway mark IMO and have no byes. 26 rounds is too long IMO, but we wont see them change that and give up money they would get from the extra rounds, they are too greedy for that. Money is more important to the NRL than player welfare, and the fact we have 26 rounds and origins and the odd international matches all squished into a season proves that.

If they were fair dinkum about player welfare and fairness in the game with the draw, this would happen:

-Return to 22 rounds like before
-Have a month off after round 11, play origins in that time, no byes, just all teams dont play NRL for the origin series.

No chance of this happening though, the way they operate they are more likely to extend the origin series to 5 games and the comp to 30 rounds. More money that way.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If you get rid of the byes, you would only need an extra week to still play 24 games.

I have no idea why a competition with an even number of teams even has byes.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe the byes are randomly drawn just like the rest of the games. They would see being random being fair. But TBH i am a big fan of all teams having time off during the origin series. Have a month off at the halfway mark IMO and have no byes. 26 rounds is too long IMO, but we wont see them change that and give up money they would get from the extra rounds, they are too greedy for that. Money is more important to the NRL than player welfare, and the fact we have 26 rounds and origins and the odd international matches all squished into a season proves that.

If they were fair dinkum about player welfare and fairness in the game with the draw, this would happen:

-Return to 22 rounds like before
-Have a month off after round 11, play origins in that time, no byes, just all teams dont play NRL for the origin series.

No chance of this happening though, the way they operate they are more likely to extend the origin series to 5 games and the comp to 30 rounds. More money that way.
A mid-season SOO without NRL games could be a real festival / showcase of Rugby League - have junior SOO, interstate residents, indigenous games, minnow internationals (PNG, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga etc).

bleedblue&white

go the berries
Reaction score
wayne b's draw that he put forward looks like a genuine answer to this problem. It doesnt solve everything but nothing ever will. His plan ensures the hardest hit clubs for origin will only be with out their stairs for 2 games instead of the possible 3 if they dont get a bye(like we will be this year). thats instantly 33.3% fairer over the origin period for the most affected clubs. it leaves the current 26 rounds and 2 byes per team but if you are in the origin team you cannot back up so looks after player welfare.
A few media types have come out and bagged it but since they have been proven to know sweet **** all about the game and are self serving, i'd take waynes word over theres any day.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Let's talk about the dogs biggest unofficial rival who we are playing Sunday - **** ME WE ARE PLAYING PARRA DURING ORIGIN

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Also origin favours warriors as they hardly have anyone in it

SOO IS RACIST

Status
Not open for further replies.