Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe not the easiest to stop, but why not put his body on the line? What kind of effort was that little push? He fell for the dummy from Isaah Yeo leading to there 1st try, not to mention the poor excuse of an attempt at tackling Edwards when he scored before half time. Just think he is very over rated after a couple of good performances early last year.
I'm with you on a few things... He neds to get smarter because his not the most amazing. In Mansour's case he should attack the ball carrying the arm knowing Mansour is a tough cat and can score some ridiculous tries. The Yeo one nah, 3 on 1 he made the right decision to expect a backrower to throw the ball and the Edwards try well that was near unstoppable and probably the try of the night to be honest.

His a solid kid and will only get better...

ozdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm with you on a few things... He neds to get smarter because his not the most amazing. In Mansour's case he should attack the ball carrying the arm knowing Mansour is a tough cat and can score some ridiculous tries. The Yeo one nah, 3 on 1 he made the right decision to expect a backrower to throw the ball and the Edwards try well that was near unstoppable and probably the try of the night to be honest.

His a solid kid and will only get better...
He has been in first grade for a full season now, he ain’t improving, I think he is getting worse, teams are now starting to target him more. Sorry I can forgive falling for a dummy but he that attempt on Edwards was piss poor.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I've been a bit critical of Montaya but I thought he played well tonight, particularly strong in the 2nd half with some tougher carries.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Our defensive issues start way further in field than Montoya, but overall he hasn't been up to scratch this season. Good 2nd half though.

ozdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our defensive issues start way further in field than Montoya, but overall he hasn't been up to scratch this season. Good 2nd half though.
Even that attempt of a tackle on Mansour?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Even that attempt of a tackle on Mansour?
Mansour 1 on 1 with that much space scores 99 times out of 100. The big issues start inside.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Most teams favoured attacking side is the left (our right) J-Morris needs to switch with Hoppa so we can try fix the mess that is our right edge defence.
We have 2 issues on our right side, Montoya's tackle efficiency (67.8%) and Foz's health.We need alternate kicking options to take pressure of Foz as he's getting belted.This leaves him vulnerable to hard hitting 2nd rowers.If you have time read my thread "Will Hopoate" his defense has not been the problem.

ozdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mansour 1 on 1 with that much space scores 99 times out of 100. The big issues start inside.
Well it could have been that 1 time in 100 he didn’t score if Montoya puts his body on the line.

Watch the replay again, everyone inside him holds there line, Montoya comes in, backs off, then back in again showing he was in 2 minds, then has a half assed attempt at Mansour. He ain’t 1st grade material.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Well it could have been that 1 time in 100 he didn’t score if Montoya puts his body on the line.

Watch the replay again, everyone inside him holds there line, Montoya comes in, backs off, then back in again showing he was in 2 minds, then has a half assed attempt at Mansour. He ain’t 1st grade material.
Yea he's in 2 minds because our edge defenders are far too isolated and the attack is skipping to the outside with ease atm.

ozdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have 2 issues on our right side, Montoya's tackle efficiency (67.8%) and Foz's health.We need alternate kicking options to take pressure of Foz as he's getting belted.This leaves him vulnerable to hard hitting 2nd rowers.If you have time read my thread "Will Hopoate" his defense has not been the problem.
Exactly right, foran was everywhere, Hopoate ran for over 140 metres, yet what did Montoya do of great note tonight? Comforting to know that 1 in 3 times u will beat our winger isnt it. Yet people say get rid of the Morris brothers, who would you want defending for your life, them or Montoya?

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fullback= Moses Mbye
Right Wing= Will Hopoate
Right Centre= Josh Morris
Left Centre= John Olive
Left Wing= Brett Morris
I would say yes to john olive. Montoya seems a bit flat lately

ozdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yea he's in 2 minds because our edge defenders are far too isolated and the attack is skipping to the outside with ease atm.
His in 2 minds cause he don’t have a fucking clue. Probably Tolman’s fault somehow hey, or maybe Forans seeing as though he wasn’t that good tonight, fuck ur delusional and can’t admit when ur wrong, not always right Marley.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bro if you watch it again you'll see the problem wasn't isolation but Montoya's bad read.Wallace does a big shift left to Maloney (2nd row and fullback run decoys at Foz and JJ) who passes to Whare.Hoppa moved up and nailed him but Montoya was caught too far in and started sliding late whilst back peddling, leaving a gap out wide.If he moved up on Mansour as Hoppa was nailing Whare he would have had a better chance as he would have left Mansour with no run up or room.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
On tonights efforts??? Montoya Bah! Humbug!

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I disagree with the suggestion that Montoya hasn’t been good under the high ball. He’s been outstanding under the high ball - the best in our team. It’s his biggest strength.

Do agree though that he has some work to do on his defence. Had the same facial expression as Brenko Lee a couple of times being caught out in the wrong defensive position.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No tries scored on Morris’ side. Montoya needs to work on his timing jn defense and communication with hoppa. They are playing like they have no faith in each other
Don’t forget it’s a new partnership with the right hand defense.. They will get better..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have said this after round one
My issue he lacks acceleration to finish half opportunities

His work in the second half with tough carries was good though

Status
Not open for further replies.