Mitchell Pearce

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The term getting schooled was around before you or any of your other young mates were even on the map, to think it’s a recent term is just arrogant ?

They play a lot of rugby league in Fiji … have you been there ?

Do they even play rugby league in Iceland ?

Schooled again ..
Ok you go out and find all these NRL props the Fiji domestic league is hiding.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No but Gould will and I hope u find a gorilla like haas
There was no Haas until someone went out there into the rugby league world and spotted him at a young age signed him up and then nurtured and developed him.

One thing about Rugby League is, when Payne Haas has retired, along will come the next Payne Haas.

There are players with Haas’s potential out there in the rugby league world right now, that’s my whole point, we have to be the ones out there recruiting these big guys at an early age so we’re the club who brings through the next one ..

Last edited:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was a large upfront investment in KO but not out of the cap. So whilst it’s a lot of cash from whatever wallet it came from to the Bronco’s. KO is a steal on the cap. With a big upside.

Unfortunately we are full of 6’s and no 7’s. We don’t need to break the bank but we absolutely need to find a game managing 7. With genuine 7’s as rare as rocking horse shit. We need to do something. Looking at current 7’s that are not getting a go at their current club. There are three options I can see that are better than what we have. Any one of them would be a good option.

Braydon Trindall - 24 (In 2024)
Toby Sexton - 23 (In 2024)
Sam Walker - 22 (In 2024)
Is dean hawkins from Souths any good?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
FMD, as per usual you take everything literally and over analyse everything, I’m not a person who recruits players for Nrl clubs and neither are you, but I do know if you go find 3 young up and coming intimidating big props from Fiji, NZ or PNG they’re not going to be starting on a 1/2 mill contract.
They aren't going to be very good straight from Fiji, possibly make an impact for 10 or 15 minutes then run out of gas, they definitely won't be able to play for the ~50 mins required in 3 prop rotation. Generalising, they will need 2 to 3 years of playing and training, mental and physical, to get to NRL level to be any sort of consistent quality NRL prop and by then will be on $450k to $550k. To get to ~3 it would be necessary to start with ~6, because ~3 won't make it due to all sorts of reasons.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There was no Haas until someone went out there into the rugby league world and spotted him at a young age signed him up and then nurtured and developed him.

One thing about Rugby League is, when Payne Haas has retired, along will come the next Payne Haas.

There are players with Haas’s potential out there in the rugby league world right now, that’s my whole point, we have to be the ones out there recruiting these big guys at an early age so we’re the club who brings through the next one .
You are right, Haas was signed on potential, he played Australian Schoolboys in 2016 and was signed from there by the Donkeys, he's been in their system for 8 years.

For the first time in 15 years we have a plethora of players that we are nurturing and developing through our pathways system.

Always a Bulldog

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why does everyone always want elite ? ..

Just go to NZ, Fiji, PNG, U.K or opposition clubs lower grades and find us 2 or 3 big bodied intimidating props, all we need them to do is run hard, run straight, eat up the metres and make it tough for the opposition to get them to ground … over time work with them to develop an offload.

While they’re there, find us 2 tough as nails tall powerful tackle breaking centres with decent speed ..

Other clubs are finding them, Manly seem to find them all the time, I’m sure we can …

Thompsons $800k & TPJ’s $950k can easily buy us those 5 players like that and leave us change.

Put them around the talent and speed we already have and watch us climb up the ladder !
Couldn’t agree more for middles, Rugby has even larger mobile human beings that would make great NRL forwards in the mould of big Nelson

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't see Hunt leaving, Pierce....just no. Think BBO will play a roll for us next year with Flano gone. We need some middles.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It was a large upfront investment in KO but not out of the cap. So whilst it’s a lot of cash from whatever wallet it came from to the Bronco’s. KO is a steal on the cap. With a big upside.

Unfortunately we are full of 6’s and no 7’s. We don’t need to break the bank but we absolutely need to find a game managing 7. With genuine 7’s as rare as rocking horse shit. We need to do something. Looking at current 7’s that are not getting a go at their current club. There are three options I can see that are better than what we have. Any one of them would be a good option.

Braydon Trindall - 24 (In 2024)
Toby Sexton - 23 (In 2024)
Sam Walker - 22 (In 2024)
Wont happen. I see burton and ko as our long term halves combo.

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There's an article on Fox Sports at the moment about all the clubs interested in bringing Mitchell Pearce back to the NRL.

The article mentions the Dogs and says " Blues and Kangaroos star Burton is a No. 6 but veteran Adam Reynolds and rookie Karl Oloapu have been sharing the five-eighth duties over the past fortnight."

We don't need Pearce as now we've got Adam Reynolds playing for us. Great work, Gus!

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I remember Barrett playing Averillo at 7, not sure I remember seeing him at 6.

JMO, but I believe Averillo is an out and out very fast running 6 .. 7 wasn’t good for him because he’s not suited to that thinking role or a big kicker … he should be in a position that best utilises his running stepping and passing game .. that’s 6 ..

Here’s something else to consider, Cronk, JT, Adam Reynolds & Cleary were ordinary for their first few years, but their clubs persisted with them, they continued to work with them and develop them into the role until they became elite players ..

Our club over the past has puts Averillo into the 7 & after 6 games moved him to left centre, back to Cup footy, next week back to 7, back to left centre, then to fullback, then to right centre ..

Put him in the 6 pick and stick develop him and I’d put big money on him to become an elite 6 by the time he’s 24 ..
JT was excellent from his first year & importantly worked further on his game. He was absolutely killing it in reserves before getting his opportuntity. Too many young players with potential are given the elevator straight into FG.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would be open to a 12 month deal with a 2nd year option in our favor. The bloke hasn't had injury issues & he ha Gus to baby sit him. I would also keep grub on for 2024 too for injury backup if the money is minimal.
^^^ HELLS FUCKEN BELLS :tearsofjoy:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wont happen. I see burton and ko as our long term halves combo.
Which is exactly my point.

If that is the vision from Ciro and Gus? I feel we are going to be stuck in the world of mediocrity if this is the plan.

Burton is not a 7. He isn’t a natural playmaker and will take years to mould as a 7. He is a running 5/8 that is his strength.

Our retention and recruitment team just don’t seem to be able to balance of the squad right.

I hope they prove me wrong.