Mitchell Pearce released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You’ll find that the Roosters are 1.15M under the cap with Pearce & Nikorima gone. Angus Crighton is on their radar & with TPA’s they could also afford another representative star.
Roosters don't need to dabble with figures to afford anyone. They tell the NRL who they are buying and the NRL ensure that player is valued at $2.78 GST included, so Roosters are always under the cap.

Reported, actual, and NRL value for Roosters players would be 3 radically different things.

sheep dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You are a turd. I don’t make things up u moron. Those figures are everywhere. Try focusing on your painfully inept and at times hidiously mind numbing posts.
I find your posts quiet educated and humorous

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You’ll find that the Roosters are 1.15M under the cap with Pearce & Nikorima gone. Angus Crighton is on their radar & with TPA’s they could also afford another representative star.
Even if on the books that could legitimately be true, that makes the NRL the biggest farce known to man.

Considering how players should be counted towards the cap at market value it is a complete undermining of the rules to do what the Roosters do, it's up there with the same as signing Maloney Jennings and SBW in one season and that actually got them a premiership that year as well. How you can think it's ok is beyond me.

Personally the cap should be abolished and the weaker teams should just fend for themselves, otherwise i'd advocate my club cheating the cap intelligently like the Roosters/Storm/Broncos do. It's a bloody shame that instead of having an astute businessman like Politis in charge we are stuck with a brain dead chairman like Dib

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a load of hogwash !
JT was needing an operation anyway and his comments about Pearce were 100% spot on. You’ve said you have never rated Pearce . Why ? It is because of some of the things JT said are correct ? He has the right to say what he wants and a journalist asked him the question. Would you have preferred a no comment .
His remarks may have been spot on but he still doesn't need to comment about it. A simple "it's not my my concern, but I think the Roosters have a gained a great player in Cooper Cronk" would have been sufficient.

Many people who have been watching Origin games since 2008 would have come to the same conclusion about Pearce. Thurston's comments won't have had any bearing. He's a good club half at best so long as he has another good half alongside him.

Thurston needed an operation because he rushed back too early. Had he worried about the injury/recovery then he probably would have started in the grand final.

Btw you may criticise Pearce for leaving your soulless club, but when he is replaced at age 28 by a 34 year old the writing is on the wall. He has every right to leave. Besides your Godfather .... I mean Chairman .... probably orchestrated the departure anyway, as a number of people on here have already suggested.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His remarks may have been spot on but he still doesn't need to comment about it. A simple "it's not my my concern, but I think the Roosters have a gained a great player in Cooper Cronk" would have been sufficient.

Many people who have been watching Origin games since 2008 would have come to the same conclusion about Pearce. Thurston's comments won't have had any bearing. He's a good club half at best so long as he has another good half alongside him.

Thurston needed an operation because he rushed back too early. Had he worried about the injury/recovery then he probably would have started in the grand final.

Btw you may criticise Pearce for leaving your soulless club, but when he is replaced at age 28 by a 34 year old the writing is on the wall. He has every right to leave. Besides your Godfather .... I mean Chairman .... probably orchestrated the departure anyway, as a number of people on here have already suggested.
Rumours have been circulating for a while that Pearce’ behaviour, particularly during the finals campaign was poor for a leading player. Ferguson is lucky he didn’t join him but his punishment was a reduced contract. Yes Cronk is 34, but he’s still the games no 1 halfback.
Regardless, no club IMO will be under more pressure than the Roosters next year. They ran second after 26 rounds this year and have added Tedesco & Cronk. Robinson has always had world class squads. He can’t keep dining out on 2013 forever.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Bigger question is who will be the Roosters halfback when Cronk retires??? All quality halves signed. I reckon Shaun Johnson. He is the only young halfback with Star Status that still hasnt peaked.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bigger question is who will be the Roosters halfback when Cronk retires??? All quality halves signed. I reckon Shaun Johnson. He is the only young halfback with Star Status that still hasnt peaked.
I really think the chooks have fcked up! We all know Cronk is a better half than Pearce, but there's no way u sign Cronk for 2 years at the very end and sacrifice Pearce who's in his prime time! I know everyone rags on Pearce but for me their not gaining enough with Cronk and losing Pearce, especially considering ages! Be like signing josh Dugan and letting jack bird go..... oh wait. Bit different if they were signing a red hot half that's 21 for a. Long term deal

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
For mine I think the Chooks will go backwards next season. There's a big difference between playing with Smith and playing with Friend and that is the key for Cronk. Cronk does what he does because he knows what Smith is thinking and Billy too for that matter. That means the rest of the team just fill in around them. At the chooks apart from Napa none of them know his play. Good player - yep. the bloke who will take them to a premiership - for mine no. I think the disenfranchisement that will occur within the team will mean a lot of those 1%ers will likely not happen for them. Add to that Teddy out the back who also doesn't know the team and I think they will struggle.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
For mine I think the Chooks will go backwards next season. There's a big difference between playing with Smith and playing with Friend and that is the key for Cronk. Cronk does what he does because he knows what Smith is thinking and Billy too for that matter. That means the rest of the team just fill in around them. At the chooks apart from Napa none of them know his play. Good player - yep. the bloke who will take them to a premiership - for mine no. I think the disenfranchisement that will occur within the team will mean a lot of those 1%ers will likely not happen for them. Add to that Teddy out the back who also doesn't know the team and I think they will struggle.
Don’t think they will “struggle” but they will choke. Again.

They can say whatever they want to the media though inside players will be seeing the club for what it is. No loyalty what so ever. Shafted a bloke who’s given how long to them for a 34 year old? The bond with cordner, Napa, jwh, friend etc will take a toll inside for sure.

Not many clubs who should pass on Cronk though they are one. Pearce has years left of good footy and is a solid half. Drinks 34 never been without smith and he’s the real difference there. Poor form, no shock from that club though.

Already rumours Napa wants out to eels.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love nothing more than to see their attempts to buy another premiership fail badly.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t think they will “struggle” but they will choke. Again.

They can say whatever they want to the media though inside players will be seeing the club for what it is. No loyalty what so ever. Shafted a bloke who’s given how long to them for a 34 year old? The bond with cordner, Napa, jwh, friend etc will take a toll inside for sure.

Not many clubs who should pass on Cronk though they are one. Pearce has years left of good footy and is a solid half. Drinks 34 never been without smith and he’s the real difference there. Poor form, no shock from that club though.

Already rumours Napa wants out to eels.
For mine if you set out to buy a premiership and don't at least make the GF you fail. I really can't see them getting there. In fact I think they will be lucky to make the bottom half of the 8. Their pack is getting softer and while they have individually good backs it takes more than good players to make a good team and I can't see blokes of the personality of the ones who have left not having a negative impact on the team. Like it or not it happened to us when the Tank left. It wasn't about his game so much but about the way he held a few of our blokes together. They all went downhill overnight when he left. Then when Ennis went they really spiralled and never got it back.

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For mine if you set out to buy a premiership and don't at least make the GF you fail. I really can't see them getting there. In fact I think they will be lucky to make the bottom half of the 8. Their pack is getting softer and while they have individually good backs it takes more than good players to make a good team and I can't see blokes of the personality of the ones who have left not having a negative impact on the team. Like it or not it happened to us when the Tank left. It wasn't about his game so much but about the way he held a few of our blokes together. They all went downhill overnight when he left. Then when Ennis went they really spiralled and never got it back.
they have nothing to worry about in the forwards... cordner, napa, liu, taukeiaho, jwh, aubbusson are all quality players plus nat butcher and lindsay collins are a couple of good up and comers

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
they have nothing to worry about in the forwards... cordner, napa, liu, taukeiaho, jwh, aubbusson are all quality players plus nat butcher and lindsay collins are a couple of good up and comers
Same blokes they had last year only older and they have lost Evans to boot. Napa is only good occasionally and JWH is the only fair dinkum prop they have. They are 1 or 2 injuries away from oblivion with a forward rotation like that. Remember when cordner and JWH got hurt a couple of years ago they couldn't do anything.

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same blokes they had last year only older and they have lost Evans to boot. Napa is only good occasionally and JWH is the only fair dinkum prop they have. They are 1 or 2 injuries away from oblivion with a forward rotation like that. Remember when cordner and JWH got hurt a couple of years ago they couldn't do anything.
taukeiaho and liu have improved out of sight and will be in for a big year along with tetavano

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
taukeiaho and liu have improved out of sight and will be in for a big year along with tetavano
Tetavano is getting on in years isn't he. Never been more than a journeyman bench player. The other two had reasonable seasons but I don't see them getting any better than they are now. They've both been in FG for 2 or 3 years. Bottom line though is they have no-one up front. Plenty of edge runners but no-one in the middle once JWH goes off.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which clubs have the cap space?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A rumour going around hes signed with the knights they are waiting for cool off to expire before announcing

Status
Not open for further replies.