Mitch Rein ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unsigned for 2022. Age 30. Wouldn't cost a lot. Could be better than JMK - until we get someone better and younger. This is surely the last season we can put up with JMK whose off contract anyway. If we sign someone better Rein can be back up for a couple of years.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So sick of threads about every hooker that we could potentially buy and how much better they are than our current players. It's pointless to discuss each and every one. The club will make decisions regardless of whether we approve. For now we have JMK and Katoa and I'll support whichever of them that gets selected from week to week.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So sick of threads about every hooker that we could potentially buy and how much better they are than our current players. It's pointless to discuss each and every one. The club will make decisions regardless of whether we approve. For now we have JMK and Katoa and I'll support whichever of them that gets selected from week to week.
but with JMK and Katoa off contract at the end of this year don't you think it's important to upgrade for someone / "anyone" better that's available for 2022 ? Unless JMK proves a lot different this year (but highly unlikely going on the indigenous game) we're f..king crazy if we extend him and go into 2022 with him as our leading hooker.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I mentioned this ages ago and got shit on by a user can't remember who it was. My point was he is 100% better than Katoa or JMK. But yeah a season and a half too late on that front and it's a no from me now

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
but with JMK and Katoa off contract at the end of this year don't you think it's important to upgrade for someone / "anyone" better that's available ?
I don't see any point in discussing every off contract hooker which seems to be happening here since Ennis left.

It seems like a pointless discussion after a while. It's out of our hands and our opinions wouldn't have any bearing on what the coach wants.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Definitely not for 22. Hopefully we've found a long term solution by next season. If Cam joins the Titans, one of Rein or Peats as a cheap stopgap for this year only could be an option if JMK and Katoa struggle to start the season. If Cam joins Brisbane, maybe Turpin could be available? He'd be a much better option.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mentioned this ages ago and got shit on by a user can't remember who it was. My point was he is 100% better than Katoa or JMK. But yeah a season and a half too late on that front and it's a no from me now
For insurance with both JMK and Katoa off contract he has to be a better option even if he became our back up hooker. Hopefully some young second string hooker gets a few games this year and shows promise and is unsigned but chances are still slim. Rein has plenty of experience and his highlights show he knows how to draw defenders close to the line then get the ball away to create a try. I've never seen JMK do that once that I can remember. We could easily afford Rein plus a young guy showing promise.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see any point in discussing every off contract hooker which seems to be happening here since Ennis left.

It seems like a pointless discussion after a while. It's out of our hands and our opinions wouldn't have any bearing on what the coach wants.
but that's what this forum is for - for us to discuss our opinions. We don't know who reads this stuff. Opinions / suggestions can spread and get to the right people.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s Cook, Grant, Smith... then daylight to the next group who are all much the same level. They are the three elite and every other club has to make the best with what they’ve got. Our bloke will be fine. Baz will have him ready!

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
but with JMK and Katoa off contract at the end of this year don't you think it's important to upgrade for someone / "anyone" better that's available for 2022 ? Unless JMK proves a lot different this year (but highly unlikely going on the indigenous game) we're f..king crazy if we extend him and go into 2022 with him as our leading hooker.
In that situation you'd only offer 1 year to another veteran hooker and no one that age or career stage will accept a one year deal. Until you can get someone good you'll have to wait and see who is unsigned and desperate to play and then they might accept a cheap one year deal.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I pretty sure Cam Smith signs for the Titans, we would be able to get him for cheap this year immediately.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JMK must go ASAP quite clearly, but Mitch Rein wouldnt provide much difference