Opinion Mitch Kenny?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see how we make the eight unless we sign a top/good hooker around the level as someone like Brandon Smith. If it isn't Smith (at this stage) then whoever we sign is on potential (or simply not good enough, if there is not enough difference between JMK and whoever is being tossed up, what's going to change?) and unless they get to similar heights I don't think we'll be the team results wise we want to be. Hooker is the second most important position on the field (if not the most important) and you can see for yourself what Koroisau did for the Panthers, 9th -> 1st (not really 1st, but 1st on the ladder), there were obviously other factors but this was the most important one imo. We're tipped to not have a good season (I can go with 11th-12th at best, we're tipped to finish much worse), we need a big signing at hooker for next year.
What's happening with Daryl Clarke ? He looks to be a really good attacking hooker (from his highlights). Johns is a big fan and there's a UK based fan on here (The Kennel) who reckoned everyone in the UK regards him as better than Josh Hodgson

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What's happening with Daryl Clarke ? He looks to be a really good attacking hooker (from his highlights). Johns is a big fan and there's a UK based fan on here on The Kennel who reckoned everyone in the UK regards him as better than Josh Hodgson
The problem with Clark is, he'll be 29 by the time next season starts, Warrington have insisted he's not leaving any time soon and Clark hasn't said he wants to leave for the NRL.

He'd have to make the move next season otherwise it might never happen. Hopefully he does decide to leave as he and Roby were both better than Hodgson (who is a top 5 hooker in the NRL) and would have killed it in the NRL.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The problem with Clark is, he'll be 29 by the time next season starts, Warrington have insisted he's not leaving any time soon and Clark hasn't said he wants to leave for the NRL.

He'd have to make the move next season otherwise it might never happen. Hopefully he does decide to leave as he and Roby were both better than Hodgson (who is a top 5 hooker in the NRL) and would have killed it in the NRL.
You just have to cross your fingers and hope that GI fires and Widdop / Austin get there shit together and Warrington win the title... Perhaps after that Clarke would be open to a new challenge

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for that. Gee I assumed he was a fair bit younger.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think it’s risky to sign spine players from the ESL. It’s such a different game. Hodgson is a perfect example. He was average over there but good here because his style of play is more suited here.

But there have been a fair few others that failed. Sam Tomkins comes to mind. I like the pommy forwards but apart from Hodgson not many key position players or outside backs have done well in recent years. George Williams went ok last year but Raiders finished lower down than 2019.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Definitely passing on Mitch Kenny. JMK is a better fit at 9 and that’s saying something..

I just don’t understand that a whole bunch of clubs with 2 genuine hookers and not one of these is screaming out to come to the Bulldogs to make there mark in the NRL with little to no competition.... crazy.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think it’s risky to sign spine players from the ESL. It’s such a different game. Hodgson is a perfect example. He was average over there but good here because his style of play is more suited here.

But there have been a fair few others that failed. Sam Tomkins comes to mind. I like the pommy forwards but apart from Hodgson not many key position players or outside backs have done well in recent years. George Williams went ok last year but Raiders finished lower down than 2019.
I think it depends on the player. But you're right that generally their forwards make a smoother transition. I thought George Williams was good last season. Tomkins was horrible obviously. We've seen more and more English players make an immediate impact over the years. I use the Tests as a gauge as to how they'll handle the NRL. For years Roby was a standout against Australia and NZ. More recently Clark has played well in Tests too.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it depends on the player. But you're right that generally their forwards make a smoother transition. I thought George Williams was good last season. Tomkins was horrible obviously. We've seen more and more English players make an immediate impact over the years. I use the Tests as a gauge as to how they'll handle the NRL. For years Roby was a standout against Australia and NZ. More recently Clark has played well in Tests too.
Its all relative to the price as well. If Tomkins came out on $350k a year instead of $800k per year he wouldnt have been such a bust.

If we cant land a decent hooker in Australia then we may be forced to look overseas. I just hope we dont break the bank to do so

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
TO be honest. Kenny has a pretty good win record. It means he is doing something right. And we don't need a top class hooker that has extra strings to his bow. Just someone who is honest and delivers the ball the way it should be. That is exactly what he seems to be doing. I'm sure Barrett would have had a good look at him last year and understand his limitations. We all know JMK isn't the answer long term, and I'd prefer we go younger rather than older at this point.