Opinion Miss Me Yet?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Its hard to say if it would be any different if we had Pay or TB. The main issue has been the players for a while now. TB is getting a better opportunity than Pay got, now the purse strings started loosening a little, and will a lot more at the end of this year.

Pay had no chance, getting us for our worst period post Des with no funds to play with. But what has passed has passed. I dont care who the coach is if we are winning matches.

I think when TB puts the broom through the side end of this year and brings in some more players, with Burton and JAC already coming, 2022 looks a lot brighter than this year.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stayed loyal to arl during super league war.. Mitigating cicumstances imo.. different to Mason SBW etc that were swayed by Politi$
He was just paid by a different master. He was swayed by the ARL dollars, they were throwing around the same as news corp

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Unless we were going to sign Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson on long-term deals, he should still be here.

For the disgraceful way Pay was treated, one would at least like to see the evidence that the change had been worth it.

The huge impact of losing CHN before the season started last year doesn’t get spoken of enough.
Barrett is no better. Possibly worse as a coach.

Question remains, why change?

Barrett will improve with an open cheque book. But so would Pay...

Many comments about Barrett attracting players, but that’s what dollars and a bit of media hype will do.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bring back the glory years of a 12th placed finish and a 10ppg average. Please come back Dean our saviour!

You were such a tactical genius, great recruiter and so charismatic that the club is ruderless without you. All hail Dean Pay and his 30% winning record!
I don't know how many games you attended during Pays reign but I attended almost every Sydney game. I can tell you that despite losing most games...it was by 6 points or less...we battled hard..or as Pay would often say...we busted our ass.
We had pride in our play and grafted every game. We had some memorable wins too...38-0 v St Merge at Kogarah, great wins v Eels and Broncos, and stopped St Merge making the semis. We didn't have 30, 40 or 50 points put on us every week and nobody could question our commitment.
Seriously, the forwards played for Pay. We couldn't attack but I'd love to have seen what we looked like playing that style of tight aggressive footy with Flanagan, Cotric, Allen, Hetherington, Ado Carr and Burton.
Maybe Pay could be our defensive coach now as we don't appear to have one. We couldn't possibly go worse. I miss Deano's simplicity.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't know how many games you attended during Pays reign but I attended almost every Sydney game. I can tell you that despite losing most games...it was by 6 points or less...we battled hard..or as Pay would often say...we busted our ass.
We had pride in our play and grafted every game. We had some memorable wins too...38-0 v St Merge at Kogarah, great wins v Eels and Broncos, and stopped St Merge making the semis. We didn't have 30, 40 or 50 points put on us every week and nobody could question our commitment.
Seriously, the forwards played for Pay. We couldn't attack but I'd love to have seen what we looked like playing that style of tight aggressive footy with Flanagan, Cotric, Allen, Hetherington, Ado Carr and Burton.
Maybe Pay could be our defensive coach now as we don't appear to have one. We couldn't possibly go worse. I miss Deano's simplicity.
We also had several blowout losses where there was no commitment, effort or defence. Just last season under Pay we lost:

32-6 against Manly
42-6 against the Roosters
34-6 against the Tigers
26-8 against spooners Brisbane
41-10 against Melbourne
42-0 against Penrith

I don't know how people conveniently forget these smashings where we still struggled to score and conceded a tonne with the great defensive coach Pay but I sure don't forget.

I go to about five games a season, even during these lean years. It used to be a lot more. So I've witnessed some of these massacres first hand and I don't forget them as easily as others...