Minichiello, Patten set for last battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
A glimpse of a passing era will be on offer when veteran fullbacks Anthony Minichiello and Luke Patten do battle in Sunday's clash between in-form sides the Sydney Roosters and Canterbury.

The rivalry round clash could be the final time the long-time competitors come up against each other in the NRL.

The careers of the two 30-year-olds have tracked side by side since Rooster Minichiello made his debut, against the Bulldogs, in 2000 and the Dogs' Patten in 2001.

They faced off in the 2004 grand final, a win for Patten, and have even undergone the same career-saving operation on serious back injuries.

"Sometimes you do keep track of players when you play for a long time and my career's sort of been the same length as Mini's, so I have kept an eye on him," Patten told AAP ahead of the Sydney Football Stadium match.

"He's a fantastic player, he has been for a long time.

"It was sad to see him injured for so long as well at the peak of his powers.

"It's just great that he's come back and is playing good footy."

Minichiello played 18 Tests and nine State of Origin games and was voted the world's best player in 2005.

Patten might have played more representative football but for Minichiello and the Bulldogs custodian says he, along with every other fullback, measured themselves against the Roosters No.1 in his prime.

"He definitely was the benchmark," Patten said.

"He was a bit of an iron man, he was playing in every game and not just playing, he was one of the best players in most of the games he played in.

"Maybe that took its toll on his body a little bit as well and he might be paying for it a little bit."

A crippling back problem suffered in 2006 was the price for Minichiello before he fought his way through more injury setbacks and a stint on the wing to eventually reclaim the Roosters' No.1 jersey in mid-2010.

Patten used his rival's battle as inspiration when he suffered the same back complaint in 2008.

"He's had the surgery I had and came back so he was a guy I looked at and thought, if he can do it then I can do it as well," he said.

With Minichiello off-contract and Patten reportedly considering Super League offers, an era will be over on Sunday afternoon if the Roosters and Dogs don't meet in the finals.

Patten says a new style of fullback, in the mould of Jarryd Hayne or Darius Boyd, is ready to fill the void.

"The fullback position itself has probably evolved away from me and Mini a bit," he said.

"We're more ball-runners whereas now it's almost like a ball-playing position in itself.

"They're guys that can carry the ball but they're also guys that can create opportunities."

NRL.com

P

Paint.

Patten says a new style of fullback, in the mould of Jarryd Hayne or Darius Boyd, is ready to fill the void.

"The fullback position itself has probably evolved away from me and Mini a bit," he said.

"We're more ball-runners whereas now it's almost like a ball-playing position in itself.

"They're guys that can carry the ball but they're also guys that can create opportunities."

Never thought of it in tht way, but it's true...

I'm never gunna forget the General, or Mini.. both legends.

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
ive never been the biggest fan of mini but the way he has come back from the back problems is great and he was such a good player

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Both great Clubmen for there respective teams. Only a few going around these days.

Mr Patwa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mini is the only chook i have respect for... Apart from him i hate that club and all its players

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mini was pretty much the only Roosters superstar that they actually produced themselves..

He was absolutely brilliant in his prime

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there was a team made up of the best players who have never represented N.S.W (in the last 10 years), Patten would have to be fullback for sure.

Cobalt-60

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Two of the good guys. I agree that Mini is the only likeable Rooster of the last ten years. Or ever.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
thinking about it now Mini is probably one of the very select few roosters players I have respect for, and i've never really liked him that much at all. He has stuck with the same club through good times (02-04) and bad times such as the last few years. If patten is showing him respect then I will too. He has stuck with the one club and I guess the roosters have done good by him by sticking with him instead of signing the next superstar fullback (and thats the first and last time I will give the roosters any credit). At least patten recognises that the two have a long going rivalry. I love patts. Such a good player and respects all his peers as well...his quotes are pure class in this article. Hopefully we win the game today, but I wish mini the best of luck. The only roosters player I can recognise from the 2004 grand final...these two players were the only two around when the rivalry started in 2002-03 after the salary cap crisis. Very good article.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mini was pretty much the only Roosters superstar that they actually produced themselves..

He was absolutely brilliant in his prime
Yeah I agree...while we would never have admitted it a few years ago when the rivalry was in full force...he was the only player the roosters brang through and gave a proper chance in first grade, and in his prime he was an amazing player. When you look at Billy Slater today, Minichiello was much the same in his prime. He could make a break from any place on the field and he was a good finisher. I've never liked him, mainly because he played for our enemies I guess, but he has been a great player and deserves a good send off much like Patten

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Patten carves up for the rest of the year. Unreal bloke that has stood strong for the Dogs for 10 years. Go you good thing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.