News Michael Maguire facing the axe as Wests Tigers call crisis meeting

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Of all the coaches in the NRL I think the ones that resemble Bellamy the most are Robinson and Maguire and Robinson won’t budge.

You could argue Griffin but I don’t know really
Storm seem system heavy and strict.

Bellamy always follows the forumula of
Fast, smart fullback
2x fast big black wingers, usually Fijian flavour
Budget or discarded centres that have a bit of zip.
Quality halves
Quality ball playing hooker
Big no frills forwards that do a job well
At least one premium back rower.

every Melb team Bellamy has had is that exact formula

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Of all the coaches in the NRL I think the ones that resemble Bellamy the most are Robinson and Maguire and Robinson won’t budge.

You could argue Griffin but I don’t know really
Storm seem system heavy and strict.

Bellamy always follows the forumula of
Fast, smart fullback
2x big black wingers
Budget or discarded centres that have a bit of zip.
Quality halves
Quality ball playing hooker
Big no frills forwards that do a job well
At least one premium back rower.

every Melb team Bellamy has had is that exact formula
Stephen Kearney is their maybe he will get another crack at coaching first grade

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Sign him up, Barrett is woeful. Maguire is actually a good coach but has a rubbish CEO and board and no help whatsoever. Management have done nothing to get him a decent squad.

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sign him up, Barrett is woeful. Maguire is actually a good coach but has a rubbish CEO and board and no help whatsoever. Management have done nothing to get him a decent squad.
Na bro Maguire is as shit bro don’t go crazy but barret is an alright coach with a good roster and don’t blame the coach blame our shit roaster we’ve had 3 coaches that had the same roaster and couldn’t do nothing there was des Hasler dean pay and now tbaz I have a point but I know yous are gonna go spastic

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Barrett’s not going no where. Pretty sure Gus has a hard on for him too

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maguire already knocked us back because he thought the tigers were in a much better position. He made his bed, don't need him near Belmore.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't see another NRL club hiring Madge to be their head coach.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Barrett’s not going no where. Pretty sure Gus has a hard on for him too
No offence mate, I don’t think you understand Gus or know his form. I am counting on Gould to be Gould..

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Maguire gets another gig but likely through being an assistant coach first... his stock has fallen a long way since departing the Rabbitohs

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offence mate, I don’t think you understand Gus or know his form. I am counting on Gould to be Gould..
it is the one thing I am worried about... Gus' arrogance and hard headedness leading to him acting unilaterally --> sacking the coach, overpaying players, sponsors etc.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
If we happen to beat them Sundy the pressure on Madge will become even more enormous.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chicken egg scenario

Madge can't win a game cause he's got a team of flogs - and no talent wants to go there cause madge is a flog.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
it is the one thing I am worried about... Gus' arrogance and hard headedness leading to him acting unilaterally --> sacking the coach, overpaying players, sponsors etc.
Yep, with a big personality you have the upside and the down. It it was 10-15 years ago I would have said that his tenure will finish within 3-5 years in some kind of drama.

But now at his age with his experience and connections to our club I think he will look at this as a career defining moment. He has done it all both as a player, administrator, coach and media personality. If he takes us back to the promised land and returns the Bulldogs to a Powerhouse, his legacy will be huge.

I am backing him.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's at least 2 star recruits whose names come with 3 letter acronyms, that wouldn't be happy with that decision after choosing us over the Tigers.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Maguire gets another gig but likely through being an assistant coach first... his stock has fallen a long way since departing the Rabbitohs
It's funny with coaching these days, you're only as good as your last gig. Doesn't matter even if there was 10 great years prior to that.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem with the Tigers isn’t the coach, it’s their fractured management with dysfunctional Wests and Tigers splits everywhere, from where their facilities are located to where they play games. They have had 6 coaches in 9 years, plainly changing the coach won’t fix their problems, the poor bastards don’t stand a chance. The players and the football staff get told shit by one half of the management and then totally different shit by the other half. Getting Sheens back is a desperate attempt to put someone between the coach/players and the divisive back room, he’s the insulator.

Always a Bulldog