Merging

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It was weeks known there was a time they wanted to rationalise teams.
Remember Super League wanted to evaporate the ARL. The super league teams were meant to be the sole survivors.

I think there was another team (Easts? Eels? Saints?) that super league wanted and missed out on, so they took Cronulla as a replacement, and they obviously really wanted Newcastle too who they didn't get.

But basically how Super League looked like is what the vision of Rugby League was meant to look like.
It's no surprise the dead traditional teams were all ARL.
Perth
Adelaide
Canberra
Cronulla/eastern team*
Bulldogs
Panthers
Hunter
Brisbane
Nth QLD
Auckland

for the most part, who super league wanted, they got.
There was also bigger plans to bring in England for a global comp, and USA and SA

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We talk about lack of talent in the NRL but that's far from the truth. The issue is 1. Clubs not demanding consistency and success, and 2. A severe lack of quality coaches.. You only need to ask yourself, what if Titans, or Dragons, or Warriors, or ..Bulldogs players switched with the Storm and were under Bellyache and crew.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We talk about lack of talent in the NRL but that's far from the truth. The issue is 1. Clubs not demanding consistency and success, and 2. A severe lack of quality coaches.. You only need to ask yourself, what if Titans, or Dragons, or Warriors, or ..Bulldogs players switched with the Storm and were under Bellyache and crew.
Another issue is no draft and clubs hoarding talent. Eg Melbourne holding C.Smith, B.Smith, H.Grant at hooker along with Hughes, Drinkwater and Papenhyzen at fullback...whilst being over the cap during that time

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Another issue is no draft and clubs hoarding talent. Eg Melbourne holding C.Smith, B.Smith, H.Grant at hooker along with Hughes, Drinkwater and Papenhyzen at fullback...whilst being over the cap during that time
Imagine the benefits in rugby league with transfer fees...
1 clubs will go crazy chasing and developing young talent.
2 clubs will benefit from developing players in transfer fees.
3 clubs will be reluctant to poach other teams junior players if it becomes a law to include the transfer fees or part of it in the salary cap.
Insuring fairness...The NRL must determine a realistic number for both SENIOR and JUNIOR development squads to insure the talent is equally spread across all the 16 clubs !!!
Again I ask...What are the NRLs true intentions ???

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Imagine the benefits in rugby league with transfer fees...
1 clubs will go crazy chasing and developing young talent.
2 clubs will benefit from developing players in transfer fees.
3 clubs will be reluctant to poach other teams junior players if it becomes a law to include the transfer fees or part of it in the salary cap.
Insuring fairness...The NRL must determine a realistic number for both SENIOR and JUNIOR development squads to insure the talent is equally spread across all the 16 clubs !!!
Again I ask...What are the NRLs true intentions ???
If I remember rightly the Players Association objected strongly against transfer fees. One of the reasons was it restricted players wishing to move for geographical reasons, family etc.

Go Dogs

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps by saying 10-15 years he actually meant 32 years plus ... There's no way the Dogs will be merged with those two. Plus the Rorters and Souths? Come on mate. I thought @Nasheed was the shit stirrer on here.
Trust me ,I am not shit stirring
The idea was in process, the execution was different.
Do you know why Canterbury jumped to supper league ?
How does Parramatta Bulldogs sounds to you ???:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If I remember rightly the Players Association objected strongly against transfer fees. One of the reasons was it restricted players wishing to move for geographical reasons, family etc.

Go Dogs
I believe it was the draft system.
Do you remember the Terry Hill Drama ?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Trust me ,I am not a shit stirring
The idea was in process, the execution was different.
Do you know why Canterbury jumped to supper league ?
How does Parramatta Bulldogs sounds to you ???:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:
Shit stirring about now. Or are you just making a general comment about what it could've been and how they may try and do the same thing?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Player transfers won't work in league, which still hangs onto a thin strip of tribalism.
Transfers make the players pure pawns. No pride in the jersey and just merceneries.
Yes, I'm not naive, most players are already, but there's a certain air of expectation that players buy in and bond With the community.
I know Gallen signed for less to stay with sharks, our own Holland took less to stay with the dogs when Newcastle threw money, and I think Turbo and Latrell did the same, but those are rarities.

side note.
It's funny how when it comes to sport and the workplace, people talk about buying into the culture, Into the environment. Yet when it comes to immigration, which is way more important to society, that concept is totally reversed to 'accept their differences' 'bad eggs are just a minority it's not big deal' etc.
Funny that.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shit stirring about now. Or are you just making a general comment about what it could've been and how they may try and do the same thing?
Do not ever forget...
The NRL can deregister or relocate any team that doesn't meet their criteria.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe it was the draft system.
Do you remember the Terry Hill Drama ?
Both draft and transfer fees, draft because they could be forced to go geographically somewhere where they have no family, no friends, no support network, nothing. The reverse for the transfer fee, it could force them to stay geographically somewhere with the same issues.

Go Dogs