Memories of the 80’s - Do you Remember Any of These?

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that it. I would have went in January 1989 when my family went there for a holiday/ to visit some cousins who lived in Perth.
I heard about this place but never was here to experience it. Sounded good.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This list would have been complete if it included BULLDOGS PREMIERSHIPS.
Those lucky enough to have grown up in the 80’s will remember everything on the list posted including a very fucking successful Bulldogs Rugby league team.
Great era.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This list would have been complete if it included BULLDOGS PREMIERSHIPS.
Those lucky enough to have grown up in the 80’s will remember everything on the list posted including a very fucking successful Bulldogs Rugby league team.
Great era.
Yes you are right. I actually went to one of the Grand Finals at the SCG in 1986. I was shattered like all Bulldogs Supporters when we lost to Parramatta. I walked out after full time refusing to watch Ray Price do the Lap of Honour. But overall we did very well in the 80’s. We consistently gave every game a red hot crack. That’s what made us great. Still love getting the DVDs out to watch what Bulldogs success looks like. It’s been a while.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We made the grandfinal 5 times in the 80’s. We won 4 of them.
It was us and Parra back then.
It was an amazing era for both clubs. We did bloody well considering we were up against some good sides. To beat Parramatta was extra special for me. Plus beating Balmain as they expected to beat us.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will give you guys a list - in no particular order. I remember them so well and it’s a shame most of them are still not here today:-

- Waterworks Mt Druitt (what an awesome Water Slide place)
- Australia’s Wonderland (I also worked there)
- Magic Kingdom
- Bullens Animal World
- African Lion Safari (you family would drive there cars through lion parks. They said if you broke down - do not get out, they will come to you) it was scary as the Lions would walk right up to your car.
- Flemington Markets Sydney (that was massive)
- the Royal Easter Show (Moore Park)
- the Entrance at Christmas time (the Carnival and all of the Main Street was pumping)

I’m sure some of you guys remember some of these places. What about what places do you remember.
Yep, remember all of these. Good old days when the world was a lot simpler.

What about Old Sydney Town - anyone been there? I went there for a school excursion. Not sure what happened to it after it closed down??

What about when Sydney got it’s first air conditioned train - one of the golden gooses. Replaced the old red rattlers.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

What about Old Sydney Town - anyone been there? I went there for a school excursion. Not sure what happened to it after it closed down??

What about when Sydney got it’s first air conditioned train - one of the golden gooses. Replaced the old red rattlers.
Lol u beat me by a second about old Sydney town

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Had To go to Old Sydney Town for year 6 excursion. We has to dress up as convicts lol

I may be wrong but didnt they turn it into that reptile park off the M1 now?

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes I went to Old Sydney Town. Not sure what they turned it into though.
I remember the old red rattlers - bloody hot (inside) on humid days. The Outside doors of Train would also stay open (occasionally) if you were running late for a train we would sometimes take our chances and run for the train and jump on. Dangerous I know, but the kids I knew stopped doing it after a kid we knew had an accident doing it.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will give you guys a list - in no particular order. I remember them so well and it’s a shame most of them are still not here today:-

- Waterworks Mt Druitt (what an awesome Water Slide place)
- Australia’s Wonderland (I also worked there)
- Magic Kingdom
- Bullens Animal World
- African Lion Safari (you family would drive there cars through lion parks. They said if you broke down - do not get out, they will come to you) it was scary as the Lions would walk right up to your car.
- Flemington Markets Sydney (that was massive)
- the Royal Easter Show (Moore Park)
- the Entrance at Christmas time (the Carnival and all of the Main Street was pumping)

I’m sure some of you guys remember some of these places. What about what places do you remember.
How did you forget New Year’s Eve at Australia’s wonderland? Hanna barberaland.

Smashed off your face, rave party and rides, girls in backseat in car park?

Or when Oran park was actually a race circuit

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wild waters Macarthur. Manly water works..wild times
I’ve never heard of the first one but I’m going to look it up. I went to Manly Water Works too, great place. FYI - the Manly Water Works was also shown in the movie ‘BMX Bandits’ in 1983 starring Nicole Kidman (A bit of useless info you may not know).

Last edited:

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’ve never hear of the first one but I’m going to look it up. I went to Manly Water Works too, great place. FYI - the Manly Water Works was also shown in the movie ‘BMX Bandits’ in 1983 starring Nicole Kidman (A bit of useless info you may not know).
Yep I remember the movie indeed

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, it’s largely the same today: F&V and a smaller Paddy’s Market (the bigger Paddy’s is still in Haymarket in town). Yep, Game & Watch was huge. In our house we had Parachute, Oil Panic, Donkey Kong and Popeye. Primitive by today’s standards :-):

View attachment 28915
That’s Hilarious we had the same tastes, my first game and watch was Donkey Kong, then I get Parachute, my uncle bought Oil Panic, I had Donkey Kong Jnr and Donkey Kong 2. I use to love looking for the next one. Some shops are now selling old ones for up to $150 each. Thanks for the picture. Don’t know what happened to my Parachute game.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The 70s Trocadero dance hall was demolished to make room for the Hoyts cinemaplex. In 1983, two more cinemas, the Rapallo and the Paramount, were razed by their owner Greater Union to make way for a more modern moviegoing experience: the Greater Union cineplex above.

Then in the early 1990s that west side of George Street contained only the big three cinemas: Village, Greater Union and Hoyts. I spent many hours along that strip.
Hoyts always was my favourite with all them tvs outside the toilets downstairs where you could watch the previews.