Melbourne's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
it is quiet simple actually... I mean not simple to execute if you are unfit

they go in numbers when they tackle our blokes, I can see at least 3 defenders where we tackle with 2. Easy to put a player on its back with 3 men compared to 2 men.

once the opposite player is tackled they try to leave one by one which gives the impression to the red that its happening quick but if you time it you will see its taking longer than normal for storm players to get off a tackled players, but again this all comes from practice and bellamy has drilled this technique into his players.

We tackled storm players with two players most of the time and rarely we put their players on their backs.

again it comes down to strength , fitness and technique.... we lacked in all areas in comparison.
Once again this tactic was supposed to have been banished from the game. A few seasons ago the rule was changed so that players, and by definition all players effecting the tackle had to release and move away immediately in other words there was to be no "peeling " off in the ruck area.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again this tactic was supposed to have been banished from the game. A few seasons ago the rule was changed so that players, and by definition all players effecting the tackle had to release and move away immediately in other words there was to be no "peeling " off in the ruck area.
Nrl have a habit of picking a few things from the previous season and saying they’re going to change it e.g the play the ball has been heavily focused this round. Buts it’s only ever focused for 1 month then forgotten.

Joke of an administration.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s why they are the best wrestling team for a decade now.
It’s everything that’s fucked about today’s game.
Its not the most difficult thing to undo... I mean there are always tactics for tactics. If they want to throw three men into tackles then throw three men in attack.

I watched an old dogs game from the 80's when Brohman was playing and Brohman was pretty much the same player as Woods, big and skilful who can pass at the line. See what the dogs were doing was sending 2 support players just off the shoulder of Brohman, sometimes 2 to his right or left, sometimes he would pass and sometimes he wouldn't. This tactic had the defence pedalling all the time, why? Because they couldn't dominate tackles because they didn't know who to number up on.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
On top of what's been mentioned , walking off the mark and taking the markers out of play... They got asked 3 or 4 times to go back and play the ball and got away with about a dozen times and one of them led to a try.. how about just penalize them FFS...

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

smart coaches will adapt this technique if even you and I can see it that it is not illegal any more.

every can see that Melbourne is getting away with this for years now so why not join them if you cant beat them

Last edited:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed the other tactic is passing the ball forward from dummy half (A Cameron Smith speciality)

Dodgy as all fuck.
100% Yes!

When it’s a backline movement he passes backwards. But every forward hit up he throws it forward. He has always done it. Never gets pulled up for it though.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Its not the most difficult thing to undo... I mean there are always tactics for tactics. If they want to throw three men into tackles then throw three men in attack.

I watched an old dogs game from the 80's when Brohman was playing and Brohman was pretty much the same player as Woods, big and skilful who can pass at the line. See what the dogs were doing was sending 2 support players just off the shoulder of Brohman, sometimes 2 to his right or left, sometimes he would pass and sometimes he wouldn't. This tactic had the defence pedalling all the time, why? Because they couldn't dominate tackles because they didn't know who to number up on.
Exactly. If there is only one target they can focus their defence on it. If there are multiple targets they have to dilute their focus. Its as old as the game and the best teams do it regularly. that's why you see FB's and halves running through the line without the ball. They are there to perhaps get an offload but certainly to weaken the defensive options on the ball carrier.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is nothing new from Melbourne they have been doing it for years with their huge gang tackling pack.Jackson even said at half time that we have to work hard on winning the ruck.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ruck speed is a huge factor in fatigue.

Explosive players like Taumalolo are needed to break up control of the ruck. Teams like the Roosters can counter the wrestle with their backline, lots of strength and size to get the sets off to a good start.

Woods' offloads broke their control of the ruck temporarily. 2nd phase play is key. You go through our squad - Woods and Faitala-Mariner are the only ones who offer second phase play.

Melbourne are the benchmark. They blew away a Bennett coached team in the finals with ease. Parra were the closest to beating them last year - they played an ultra aggressive brand, fast line speed, solid hits and kick pressure.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One thing I noticed was the amount of times Melbourne would lift our players off the ground. Never passed the horizontal, but definitely had players with both feet off the ground more than normal.

Wonder if it's a new tactic to slow everything down or just a coincidence.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if its legal we do it too, take something out of every loss.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What pissed me off was when Hoppa got penalised for taking the player out. That was BS.

Reactions: DT

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What pissed me off was when Hoppa got penalised for taking the player out. That was BS.
Hoffman hit Hopoate and he should have been penalised, look at it and see who hit the back of the player, it wasn’t Hopoate thats for sure...but no doubt Smith yelled out and thats all the ref needed to hear...penalty Melbourne and the game kept going from then

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone notice Melbourne always putting us on our backs. 90% of the time we landed on our backs and also slowed the ruck all game.
Why can't we wrestle like them and copy there game plan in defence?

View attachment 5254
We will get penalized for it...They don't
Didn't you ask yourself how does Smith gets away with so many forward passes ???

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ladies......and Gentlemen......
Welcome to the GREATEST JOKE OF ALL
Welcome to W...NRL where the RORTS are REAL :rage::fearscream::cry:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Worse than the wrestling was the deliberate time wasting... unbelievable how long they take to shoot at goal or form a scrum and the ref does nothing about it every time.
Smith uses the whole time to place the ball, the clock then stops and he takes another few minutes then finally kicks...it is energy saving and time wasting... yes good tactic but only he gets away with it
Mate Smith has been doing this for years and getting away with it. Amazing how being perceived as Mr Perfect can get yopu a lot of benefits. Although I do believe the referee said something to him at the restart after one of our tries in regards to wasting time

Reactions: DT

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nrl have a habit of picking a few things from the previous season and saying they’re going to change it e.g the play the ball has been heavily focused this round. Buts it’s only ever focused for 1 month then forgotten.

Joke of an administration.
I agree. The paper that the rules are printed on is in vogue for the first part of the season and fish and chips wrapper for the rest........

Status
Not open for further replies.