Melbourne's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

sviruch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Did anyone notice Melbourne always putting us on our backs. 90% of the time we landed on our backs and also slowed the ruck all game.
Why can't we wrestle like them and copy there game plan in defence?

unnamed%20(3).jpg

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did anyone notice Melbourne always putting us on our backs. 90% of the time we landed on our backs and also slowed the ruck all game.

View attachment 5254
Well and good but the wrestle was supposed to be taken out of the game...but then again I guess it has been for everyone but Melbourne.....

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They have just perfected the art of doing it. They even got pinged a couple of times last night which was surprising. The worst one is when Cameron Smith “accidentally” gets caught up in the play the ball he does it in every tackle he is involved in.....

I know Tolman cops it but he gets put on his back in most of his hit ups. I’d love to see the stats on slowest play the ball because I think he would be close to the top of the list.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They have just perfected the art of doing it. They even got pinged a couple of times last night which was surprising. The worst one is when Cameron Smith “accidentally” gets caught up in the play the ball he does it in every tackle he is involved in.....

I know Tolman cops it but he gets put on his back in most of his hit ups. I’d love to see the stats on slowest play the ball because I think he would be close to the top of the list.
Remember when Tolman was one of the better wrestlers in the game when we first signed him... lol.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score

What I don’t understand is why someone like tolman try’s to run over people and gets dominated. Run through the gaps between players and you won’t get dominated and get put on your back.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Once Bellamy and smith are out of the picture the game will change for the better. That is unless Smith decides to coach.... praying he doesnt

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully Pay puts an emphasis on the wrestle.. because you need it its just apart of the game accept it..

Put the hate for Des aside for a minute.. our defence was strong under Des and wrestle was an integral part of it.. our boys used to wrestle a heap every week since 2012..

we never used to wrestle under Kevin Moore

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worse than the wrestling was the deliberate time wasting... unbelievable how long they take to shoot at goal or form a scrum and the ref does nothing about it every time.
Smith uses the whole time to place the ball, the clock then stops and he takes another few minutes then finally kicks...it is energy saving and time wasting... yes good tactic but only he gets away with it

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s the thing. They wrestle us, set their line, then run off the line early. And the ref didn’t hold a great 10 all game. And I think they won the penalty count didn’t they?

It’s hard to compete with that. They also had a few just flop in to slow down the play the ball.

The art of the modern game is the counter. Get a quick play the ball before the line is set to break the line. With storms wrestling they are back and waiting then they charge up in a straight line. Very difficuly defence to crack. They are also super fit too which helps. And you can never really call them an entertaining team. They are just a grinding team with great defence and 2 once in a generation players coming through at the same time.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Klem also gets put on his back every tackle and then wastes energy doing his shake a leg move.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
it is quiet simple actually... I mean not simple to execute if you are unfit

they go in numbers when they tackle our blokes, I can see at least 3 defenders where we tackle with 2. Easy to put a player on its back with 3 men compared to 2 men.

once the opposite player is tackled they try to leave one by one which gives the impression to the red that its happening quick but if you time it you will see its taking longer than normal for storm players to get off a tackled players, but again this all comes from practice and bellamy has drilled this technique into his players.

We tackled storm players with two players most of the time and rarely we put their players on their backs.

again it comes down to strength , fitness and technique.... we lacked in all areas in comparison.

Last edited:

JMac15

Waterboy
Reaction score
They were all over us in the ruck but our play the ball wasn't quick enough and lacked urgency.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I noticed it, but we're more to blame for the slowness.

We submit in every tackle and never show any urgency to play the ball. Why would the referee blow a penalty if we're not showing any urgency to get up anyway?

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

View attachment 5254
Simple Melbourne like Rorters are the NRL pin up teams. We copy them in defence and you can bet your life we will be penalised

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is quiet simple actually... I mean not simple to execute if you are unfit

they go in numbers when they tackle our blokes, I can see at least 3 defenders where we tackle with 2. Easy to put a player on its back with 3 men compared to 2 men.

once the opposite player is tackled they try to leave one by one which gives the impression to the red that its happening quick but if you time it you will see its taking longer than normal for storm players to get off a tackled players, but again this all comes from practice and bellamy has drilled this technique into his players.

We tackled storm players with two players most of the time and rarely we put their players on their backs.

again it comes down to strength , fitness and technique.... we lacked in all areas in comparison.
Absolutely spot on post...

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's their team and how they are coached to wrestle this is why Smith is so good at it ... look at all their players that left their side, Cronk, Inglis, Blair, Maloney etc since they don't wrestle as much or as good as they did when they were at Melbourne they aren't as dominant at their new clubs like they were with the Storm! Trust me ppl keep saying Melbourne has a great structure well it's easy to win when you know how to slow down the ruck with their wrestling tactics !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.