Melbourne "terrorism incident"

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Police are treating an attack in Melbourne’s Bourke Street mall in which one person was fatally stabbed and two others were injured as an incident of terrorism.

The attacker was shot by police as the terrifying scene unfolded in Melbourne’s city district on Friday. He died later that night in hospital.

Witnesses said they heard a loud explosion and saw a car bust into flames outside Target on Bourke Street, between Swanston and Russell Streets, about 4.20pm.

Chief commissioner Graham Ashton said the attacker was known to police and federal intelligence agencies.

“What we know so far about the individual ... from what we know we are treating this as a terrorism incident,” he said.

“We believe we have confirmation on the identity [and] there are ongoing investigations being conducted by counter-terrorism. I am not at liberty to disclose the identity of this person.”

“He is known to police, mainly in respect to relatives that he has that are persons of interest to us. He is someone who is accordingly known to Victoria Police and the federal intelligence authorities.”

The man had a minor offending history of drug, theft and driving offences, lived in the north-western suburbs of Melbourne, and came to Australia from Somalia in the 1990s, he said.

Ashton said there was “a lot more work” to be done at the crime scene, and that Bourke Street would likely remain locked off “for as late as 9am tomorrow”.

He said there was no ongoing threat and would not share any further details of the attacker’s identity and motive.

Video footage circulating on social media showed a man advancing toward police after the vehicle exploded and attempting to stab them, and then falling backwards after what sounded like a gunshot. One of the police officers had their weapon drawn.

The altercation was filmed by several bystanders at the scene from multiple angles.

But Ashton denied that the attacker had yelled “Allahu Ackbar”, as reported by some on social media.

He said fire and rescue discovered barbecue-style gas cylinders inside the ute.

“A four wheel drive, utility, drove into Bourke St between Russell St and Swanston St and parked there,” Ashton said. “One male person was in the vehicle. A fire was then started in that vehicle. He got out of the vehicle, engaged with some members of the public at that location. Almost within a minute, Victorian police officers were in attendance in an unmarked vehicle.

“If there are witnesses to this event, eyewitnesses, we would like to talk with them and we’d ask if they could attend any of our police stations, the Melbourne West station located at Spencer Street and we can interview and hopefully get statements from any witnesses that did see things.”

Aaksh Verma gave a statement to police after witnessing the incident unfold. He was working when he heard a bang. He went outside and said he saw a ute in flames rolling diagnoally towards Target. Then he saw the police pull up. “A black guy came towards the cops as the cops were staying inside the car,” Verma said.

“I’m not sure if he opened the door or if the cop opened the door.”

Once the door of the car was open and while the police officer was still sitting down, the man began stabbing him with something sharp, Verma said. He was not sure if the man made contact with the police officer, or if the police officer’s vest prevented him from being stabbed.

The police officer’s partner got out from the other side of the vehicle and came around to intervene.

“He [the man] backed off.”

Both police attempted to use pepper spray and to taser the guy but it didn’t seem to have any effect, Verma said.

“The person didn’t look like he wanted to run away, he wanted to stay and fight,” Verma said. “He was saying nothing. He had like a million chances to run away, there are many laneways.”

Verma said bystanders then attempted to help while the police waited for backup, one armed with a trolley and another armed with a chair.

On Friday night the premier, Daniel Andrews, offered his condolences.

He said “we will not be defined by this” and thanked police for their “very quick response” and said “they have done each and every one of us proud”.

“Stranger and bystanders, who knew nobody involved, stepped in without a moment’s hesitation ... they too are people whose qualities make us all proud as well,” he said.

“We extend our thoughts and prayers to all who are injured and extend our deepest, deepest sympathies.”

He said people should contact Lifeline, Griefline and Beyond Blue if they had been affected.

“These are traumatic events, they are terrifying,” the premier said. “Many will have seen them first hand.”

Victorian opposition leader Matthew Guy, who will face off against Andrews at the state election on 24 November, also spoke on Friday night to say Victorians need to “eradicate this kind of behaviour”.

“All the resources of our state should be directed towards keeping Victorians safe,” he said. “When there is a terrorism incident, there can be no moral squeamishness.”

He reacted angrily when a journalist asked if he was politicising the issue.

“I find it confronting that you would ask me whether or not I would use any person’s death to a political advantage.”

The incident comes two days after the trial for Melbourne man James Gargasoulas, who has pleaded not guilty to 33 charges including six counts of murder for a deadly incident on 20 January, 2017, when he allegedly drove a car through pedestrians along Bourke Street mall and killed six people.

Cars are not allowed in the part of the street where the incident occurred, and the area has been further protected by concrete bollards since the January 2017 tragedy. However there is access for police cars, trams and garbage trucks.

Witnesses said police were at the scene within minutes.

Neil McKeller, who works at Hylands Bookshop on Bourke Street, told Guardian Australia he heard a loud explosion and then gunshots.

“We heard the explosion, and we heard gunshots later,” McKellar said. “We heard it but we didn’t know what it was.”

The buildings surrounding the incident were put into lockdown, and police blocked off sections of Bourke and Swanston streets. Trams on both streets were also halted.

Witness Meegan May was travelling on a tram when the incident occurred.

“A couple of people on the trams were saying someone had a knife and when I got up and looked through the rear window,” she told the ABC. “I could see a big ute on fire driving across the road.

“It sort of came to a stop on the other side, and then I could see a man and two police sort of trying to calm him down. He was waving his arms around, someone was saying he had a knife – I couldn’t tell from where I was.

“And then not too long after that, I heard a loud bang that sounded a bit like a gunshot, nothing like an explosion, and then a person near me said they could see someone giving someone chest expressions and an ambulance and 50 cop cars came out of nowhere not long after that.”

Police have asked all witnesses and anyone with video footage to send it to them via a link on the Victoria Police facebook page.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I heard about this from my brother.
So now they admitting it's a terrorist attack and not the work of a person who is mentally ill?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Terror incident by definition, but not really a terrorism incident (not the difference).

Moreso "crazed armed man runs over pedestrians before stabbing others, and being shot dead by police".

Media use the word "terrorism" because it scaremongers the community into thinking it's a major event.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The man's family were known to ASIO.

It's a worry that nowhere is safe any more.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Terror incident by definition, but not really a terrorism incident (not the difference).

Moreso "crazed armed man runs over pedestrians before stabbing others, and being shot dead by police".

Media use the word "terrorism" because it scaremongers the community into thinking it's a major event.
Yeah the cops proved that he didn't scream Allah Akbar and it's just social media bullshit.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The **** has been in Australia since 1990 and he still acts like he is back in Somalia.
I just watched a clip. The police didn’t shoot him even though he was charging at them trying to stab them many times. Are the police and government that fkn politically correct they’d rather get stabbed than look like they’re discriminating lol. Ffs man.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I just watched a clip. The police didn’t shoot him even though he was charging at them trying to stab them many times. Are the police and government that fkn politically correct they’d rather get stabbed than look like they’re discriminating lol. Ffs man.
Bro, if a **** is charging at me with a knife, I'd empty the clip into him and ask questions later.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s Melbourne. What did you expect lol they’re extremely left and tolerant down there.
Last time they had a terrorist attack they were saying it was the work of a mentally ill individual and he wasn't indoctrinated in a Wahhabi mosque!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Another dead piece of shit.
Sadly he took someone with him.
If it’s true, his family are suspected of having terrorism aspirations, they should all be packed in a shipping container and mailed back to Somalia.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I heard about this from my brother.
So now they admitting it's a terrorist attack and not the work of a person who is mentally ill?
Technically terrorist attacks usually carry some type of form of mental illness with them

But yet we still saw the usual bigots claiming "Allah akbar" with this just like last year when it wasnt the case at all

And no one denies that this is a terrorist attack. They object to the same type of crime being committed by other races/creeds/religions as being labelled as mentally illness rather than terrorist attack

Ie not calling like for like

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't worry the government has everything under control.

I'm sure the politicians will increase our war efforts and give police more powers.

Technically terrorist attacks usually carry some type of form of mental illness with them

But yet we still saw the usual bigots claiming "Allah akbar" with this just like last year when it wasnt the case at all

And no one denies that this is a terrorist attack. They object to the same type of crime being committed by other races/creeds/religions as being labelled as mentally illness rather than terrorist attack

Ie not calling like for like
It's done on purpose, Israel and United States governments & media (who work hand in hand) want the public to associate terror or terrorism with Muslims to continue fighting wars in that region. Even though through out history the Israeli government has staged terror events to lure America into war. USS Liberty is one of the more well known events but there are others also.

Most people would be against war if they were told the truth.

Most sheep will react to this and think we need to keep dropping bombs on the Middle East instead of restricting immigration and ending wars. However if we did that America & Israel and the other puppets would be pissed off at Australia acting independently. The fake media would probably call us a racist country for tightening immigration but dropping bombs on other countries is not a racist act apparently. The media is just another arm of the government.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
“All the resources of our state should be directed towards keeping Victorians safe,”

In other words more tax dollars for police surveillance state even though ASIO couldn't do jack shit

More resources for the military even though after close to 20 years of war there is more 'terror' than before

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I say something that’s neutral? As a dogies fan I know our fan base is multi cultural, I’m all for it, the guy who works for me is a Muslim well he was he moved from Iran to get away from it all, but I’ve learned there’s all types of muslims some are really beautiful people and others are the opposite , but the media and al these attacks are causing a massive divide.

Why can’t they just report on the truth and label it as it is instead of previous times having mental health etc, if your good to me I’m good to you. Everyone deserves respect where it’s due but no matter your views or religion wether Christian , Hindu, Buddhist, etc have some empathy for the people you hurt and the poor families. Just sick of how Australia is becoming why can’t we just weed out all the low life’s who fuck our nation up and why am
I labeled a bigot for being proud to be Aussie when I want what’s best for my country