Melbourne riot/protest

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
All this talk of woofta, poofta and whatever other term thrown up reminded me of the cockney slang horses hoof.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
All this talk of woofta, poofta and whatever other term thrown up reminded me of the cockney slang horses hoof.
As I reminded @south of heaven of this morning:

9E55548F-0E3F-41ED-B418-3C164A2D4C09.jpeg

I love some Cockney speak and still reckon the bar scene in Lock Stock is the best rhyming slang conversation I’ve ever heard:

10 in just over a minute including the best multi-slang I’ve ever heard: ‘An Aristotle of the most ping-pong tiddly in the nuclear sub’ :tearsofjoy:.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As I reminded @south of heaven of this morning:

View attachment 30682
I love some Cockney speak and still reckon the bar scene in Lock Stock is the best rhyming slang conversation I’ve ever heard:

10 in just over a minute including the best multi-slang I’ve ever heard: ‘An Aristotle of the most ping-pong tiddly in the nuclear sub’ :tearsofjoy:.
I remember we got taught cockney slang in school for some bizzare reason, although I used to smoke weed in my school years so it may never of happened and I just thought it did

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I remember we got taught cockney slang in school for some bizzare reason, although I used to smoke weed in my school years so it may never of happened and I just thought it did
I’d believe you if you’d said: ‘We got taught rhyming slang in Ja Rule but I used to laugh and joke the happy feed in those Britney Spears so maybe not’ :-).

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I agree with the last part.

Do you agree it suspicious that the media are making fairly outrageous claims with no evidence to back them up? What effect do you think these unsubstantiated claims are having on public opin re: protestors?

Seems fishy to me. Youd think a protest that was being filmed by half the people participating in it would have more evidence of these rather appalling accusations of urinating on war memorials, right?

So I can think of an explaination for why the media would lie, but I cant really think of a satisfying explaination of why there is a complete dearth of evidence substantiating the rather outrageous claims that the media is making.
The media always has an agenda. There’s no doubt the media is against these protesters, but so is the majority of the country. Interesting that in this case, media opposition to the protests is widespread. Not even the Sky news panelists are backing the protesters. They are trying to distance the right from the protesters too, arguing that they are all unionist leftists and not members of the general anti vaxx community or hard right. It’s a way of cycling back and attacking the government without endorsing the protests.

Anyway, I think the truth lies somewhere in between those two duelling media narratives. No doubt a lot of protesters are pissed off tradies, but many tradies are right wingers anyway…. And I’m also sure the protests have attracted a lot of protesters who aren’t tradies and are just using the situation to vent their frustrations. I can understand those frustrations, tbh. I can understand Victorians being fed up after so many lockdowns….. but I think these protests are only going up exacerbate the problem.

I don’t know if anyone urinated on the Shrine …. I haven’t seen evidence to prove it… and it’s unclear where these reports are coming from. Were they from protesters themselves? Cops? Journalists? If the reports came from the latter, I don’t see why they wouldn’t have taken photos. It’s also possible the claims didn’t come from people who saw them in the act. It would be pretty obvious from the large patches of stinking ammonia if someone had been using the shrine as a toilet. Anyway, whether there is any truth to the claims of urination, I can’t be sure. One thing I em pretty sure of is that a war memorial is not the right place to stage a protest. And judging from the clean up footage, people left a mess there, which is pretty fucking gross if you ask me.

Edit: after reading some other comments, I see you are sin binned. So typing this lengthy response was probably a waste of energy. Sucks to be me.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The media always has an agenda. There’s no doubt the media is against these protesters, but so is the majority of the country. Interesting that in this case, media opposition to the protests is widespread. Not even the Sky news panelists are backing the protesters. They are trying to distance the right from the protesters too, arguing that they are all unionist leftists and not members of the general anti vaxx community or hard right. It’s a way of cycling back and attacking the government without endorsing the protests.

Anyway, I think the truth lies somewhere in between those two duelling media narratives. No doubt a lot of protesters are pissed off tradies, but many tradies are right wingers anyway…. And I’m also sure the protests have attracted a lot of protesters who aren’t tradies and are just using the situation to vent their frustrations. I can understand those frustrations, tbh. I can understand Victorians being fed up after so many lockdowns….. but I think these protests are only going up exacerbate the problem.

I don’t know if anyone urinated on the Shrine …. I haven’t seen evidence to prove it… and it’s unclear where these reports are coming from. Were they from protesters themselves? Cops? Journalists? If the reports came from the latter, I don’t see why they wouldn’t have taken photos. It’s also possible the claims didn’t come from people who saw them in the act. It would be pretty obvious from the large patches of stinking ammonia if someone had been using the shrine as a toilet. Anyway, whether there is any truth to the claims of urination, I can’t be sure. One thing I em pretty sure of is that a war memorial is not the right place to stage a protest. And judging from the clean up footage, people left a mess there, which is pretty fucking gross if you ask me.
A bunch of a few hundred angry protester guys standing around drinking cans, or even water bottles, for 3 hours? I'm reckoning I'm going with...it's fact: urinated on the Shrine of Remembrance.

This has gone all round the World with USA Fox interviewing these bludgers to hype up controversy.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
A bunch of a few hundred angry protester guys standing around drinking cans, or even water bottles, for 3 hours? I'm reckoning I'm going with...it's fact: urinated on the Shrine of Remembrance.

This has gone all round the World with USA Fox interviewing these bludgers to hype up controversy.
It’s extremely likely, but until there is proof, it csnt be considered fact.