Official Meet the 2019 Bulldogs Sapphires Squad

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is misleading!! I got the bottle of Nivea and a box of tissues ready. >:(

Darciemcd

Waterboy
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/02/14/sapphire-auditions-behind-the-scenes/

@Darciemcd does this mean that the club have brought it back in house again? Is this like it was when you were there?

Hopefully it does and we actually see passion from true supporters that want to cheerlead for the club, rather than paid companies donig it for the money.

Hey!! Sorry for the delayed response...

So when I first started (back in the day when the squad was called the Belles haha) it was run by a local dancing school, so the squad was made up of local girls or genuine supporters. When I took over as captain/choreographer in 2015, I took on the responsibility for no extra pay (or recognition and gratitude either from the club I should also say) and back then the squad was made up of quite a few Doggies supporters, or at the very least an interest in NRL...
However, the girls who took over from me in 2016 have a dancing school and promotions company and originally brought in a lot of dancers who wouldn't know the first thing about rugby league ... let alone the Bulldogs! It's still the same people running the squad, BUT over the last couple years I've noticed there's girls auditioning who have grown up fans so it's nice to see them trickling back in. In saying that I'm definitely still very much against the promotions company who is running the squad as they take any opportunity to plug their promotions company. I just don't think that aligns with the club's values...

I've probably gone off on a tangent with that answer haha, but figured it might be good to give a bit of insight :grinning:

DogzPride

Waterboy
Reaction score

So when I first started (back in the day when the squad was called the Belles haha) it was run by a local dancing school, so the squad was made up of local girls or genuine supporters. When I took over as captain/choreographer in 2015, I took on the responsibility for no extra pay (or recognition and gratitude either from the club I should also say) and back then the squad was made up of quite a few Doggies supporters, or at the very least an interest in NRL...
However, the girls who took over from me in 2016 have a dancing school and promotions company and originally brought in a lot of dancers who wouldn't know the first thing about rugby league ... let alone the Bulldogs! It's still the same people running the squad, BUT over the last couple years I've noticed there's girls auditioning who have grown up fans so it's nice to see them trickling back in. In saying that I'm definitely still very much against the promotions company who is running the squad as they take any opportunity to plug their promotions company. I just don't think that aligns with the club's values...

I've probably gone off on a tangent with that answer haha, but figured it might be good to give a bit of insight :grinning:
Thanks for clearing that up Darcie, I have noticed that myself and wonder why the club is ok with them plugging their promotions company. Not to sound like a rude bloke but they certainly don't look like a well run cheer squad. can I ask a question ???? how much experience does this promotions company have in the way of coaching ????

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Thanks Darcie .... always good to hear your insights here. I do agree that businesses should never take over cheerleader squads, because you dilute one of the key attributes in being a cheerleader.. cheering YOUR team along :grinning:

Is Brad playing league this year? Good to see Adam get a start with Warriors *cough*MightHaveToBecomeAClosetWarriorsFanWithGreenBurrandKeighranAtTheClub*cough* ... at least when they aren't playing us :D

Darciemcd

Waterboy
Reaction score
Thanks Darcie .... always good to hear your insights here. I do agree that businesses should never take over cheerleader squads, because you dilute one of the key attributes in being a cheerleader.. cheering YOUR team along :grinning:

Is Brad playing league this year? Good to see Adam get a start with Warriors *cough*MightHaveToBecomeAClosetWarriorsFanWithGreenBurrandKeighranAtTheClub*cough* ... at least when they aren't playing us :D

No worries at all!! Yep you're exactly right!

And yep he is... he trialled with the Eels last Friday and will be playing with Wentworthville... he's starting to find his groove again! Very exciting stuff for Adam - I'm betting he'll have a fantastic year over there! Haha, I'm with you there on the closet Warriors fan... if I had to have any support for any other club it would be them - it feels the least like cheating :tearsofjoy:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
No worries at all!! Yep you're exactly right!

And yep he is... he trialled with the Eels last Friday and will be playing with Wentworthville... he's starting to find his groove again! Very exciting stuff for Adam - I'm betting he'll have a fantastic year over there! Haha, I'm with you there on the closet Warriors fan... if I had to have any support for any other club it would be them - it feels the least like cheating :tearsofjoy:
Ahh nice congrats to him, good to see him getting back into it after the Nikorima saga.

Bulldogs, Wenty (DEFINITELY NOT PARRA) and Warriors... you've got a busy year as a supporter.

At least a lot more NSW Cup games are being streamed/televised (and you can buy the games from NSWRL apparently).

Darciemcd

Waterboy
Reaction score
Ahh nice congrats to him, good to see him getting back into it after the Nikorima saga.

Bulldogs, Wenty (DEFINITELY NOT PARRA) and Warriors... you've got a busy year as a supporter.

At least a lot more NSW Cup games are being streamed/televised (and you can buy the games from NSWRL apparently).

Thank you! Yeah it's been great to move on from that stressful chapter that's for sure!

Haha yes DEFINITELY NOT PARRA! It will be busy, but last year I was driving up to Wyong to watch Brad play for the Roos so a Sydney team is fantastic!!

Darciemcd

Waterboy
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up Darcie, I have noticed that myself and wonder why the club is ok with them plugging their promotions company. Not to sound like a rude bloke but they certainly don't look like a well run cheer squad. can I ask a question ???? how much experience does this promotions company have in the way of coaching ????

Yeah I'm not too sure... maybe they don't really monitor the squad's instagram page etc and so aren't aware?
Ahh well that's a tricky one... I know when they took over in 2016 they had little experience in NRL cheerleading. They had a very short stint cheering at another club before they applied for the Bulldogs. Staff that were working at the Bulldogs at the time (and have since left) left it to the last minute to get together a squad for 2016 and I dare say were a little lazy so just went with the only option to take over, which was this promotions company. They would have definitely picked up a thing or two and learnt on the job over the last few years, but they've had to hire another choreographer to put together the dance routines for them... so that says a lot about their actual dance ability and experience.

Good luck to them though - I don't really keep tabs on the Sapphires anymore - the cheer squad kind has kind of lost its touch. But hopefully more young ladies who grew up supporting the club audition to be a part of it!

DogzPride

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not too sure... maybe they don't really monitor the squad's instagram page etc and so aren't aware?
Ahh well that's a tricky one... I know when they took over in 2016 they had little experience in NRL cheerleading. They had a very short stint cheering at another club before they applied for the Bulldogs. Staff that were working at the Bulldogs at the time (and have since left) left it to the last minute to get together a squad for 2016 and I dare say were a little lazy so just went with the only option to take over, which was this promotions company. They would have definitely picked up a thing or two and learnt on the job over the last few years, but they've had to hire another choreographer to put together the dance routines for them... so that says a lot about their actual dance ability and experience.

Good luck to them though - I don't really keep tabs on the Sapphires anymore - the cheer squad kind has kind of lost its touch. But hopefully more young ladies who grew up supporting the club audition to be a part of it!
well That's no surprise at all, the staff at the football office were absolute shithouse pathetic young fools who didn't know up from down. Im hoping that the new board have put a good broom through the place and gets rid of the crap. little to no experience coaching, wow that's shocking, Im guessing it was someone friend that got them the job LOL . lets hope there are some of the new Directors are on here reading the fans dislike and concerns and they address it with a new coaching staff at the sapphires too.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you! Yeah it's been great to move on from that stressful chapter that's for sure!

Haha yes DEFINITELY NOT PARRA! It will be busy, but last year I was driving up to Wyong to watch Brad play for the Roos so a Sydney team is fantastic!!
Nice! Ringrose Park is an easy drive.. Morrie Breen not quite so. Leaves enough time for a quiet wine on a weekend whilst sitting down watching Adam play :grinning:

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/02/14/sapphire-auditions-behind-the-scenes/

@Darciemcd does this mean that the club have brought it back in house again? Is this like it was when you were there?

Hopefully it does and we actually see passion from true supporters that want to cheerlead for the club, rather than paid companies donig it for the money.
Geez such negativity. I for 1 enjoy watching the routine of the cheer squad and have done so over many years...Im talking more than 25. Be it in house or a professional dance troupe Im impressed by the dancing and gymnastic ability. These girls put in long hours rehearsing, travelling to the game and performing. They can be different body shapes...just like the footballers are. I have no problem with that. Im looking forward to seeing our 2019 Saphires perform. Good luck girls,

DogzPride

Waterboy
Reaction score
Geez such negativity. I for 1 enjoy watching the routine of the cheer squad and have done so over many years...Im talking more than 25. Be it in house or a professional dance troupe Im impressed by the dancing and gymnastic ability. These girls put in long hours rehearsing, travelling to the game and performing. They can be different body shapes...just like the footballers are. I have no problem with that. Im looking forward to seeing our 2019 Saphires perform. Good luck girls,
whilst I agree with some of what you have said about the travelling and rehearsing that these girls put in must be applauded for that BUT, you CAN NOT overlook the fact that our cheerleaders have very much gone down hill and their standards have dropped over the years compared to other NRL cheerleaders. so yes people have a right to be upset when their beloved bulldogs are not getting the BEST whether it be cheerleaders, football club staff, Directors to bring this club back to the top.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah but compare doing volunteer work for something you love, or working for a company purely out of love rather than cash, to purely working for a company for the pay cheque.

That's what the cheerleaders have become in recent times (a job), just like a mechanic, or a bank teller, or a checkout chick. Dancing is part of their job and they (and the studio) are paid for it.

I'd prefer it to be unpaid work with their uniforms covered, and that way you know they are doing it for the love of the club/team.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but compare doing volunteer work for something you love, or working for a company purely out of love rather than cash, to purely working for a company for the pay cheque.

That's what the cheerleaders have become in recent times (a job), just like a mechanic, or a bank teller, or a checkout chick. Dancing is part of their job and they (and the studio) are paid for it.

I'd prefer it to be unpaid work with their uniforms covered, and that way you know they are doing it for the love of the club/team.
That’s a bit cynical, just because I get paid to do my job doesn’t mean that I don’t love it and put every effort I have into it. I don’t believe in judging people when I don’t know their motives or how they ethically carry themselves. No one I know puts themselves out there, entertaining, in public, subject to minute scrutiny if they don’t love doing it. Regardless of whether they get paid or not.

Go Dogs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That’s a bit cynical, just because I get paid to do my job doesn’t mean that I don’t love it and put every effort I have into it. I don’t believe in judging people when I don’t know their motives or how they ethically carry themselves. No one I know puts themselves out there, entertaining, in public, subject to minute scrutiny if they don’t love doing it. Regardless of whether they get paid or not. Go Dogs
I'd agree, but it's been covered by Darcie in the past that this is exactly what happened. The cheerleaders lacked the passion to celebrate because they weren't truly getting into the spirit of things.

DogzPride

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'd agree, but it's been covered by Darcie in the past that this is exactly what happened. The cheerleaders lacked the passion to celebrate because they weren't truly getting into the spirit of things.
getting paid is now part of their job and I believe they should be paid for their hard work. My entire point it, the standard with our cheerleaders have very much gone down hill, when you compare them to other squads not only their all round standard has dropped but their appearance and those costumes are terrible, it doesn't look like a well oiled machine to me and many other fans.