Meaney signs with Storm

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
See ya Nick. It's time we become a force again and get players that can play consistently week in and week out rather than players with potential.

The storm can make do with a player like Nick because of all the other talent they have, they made Brenko Lee look alright.
Brenko was one of our best in attack every time he took the field, he was just utterly hopeless defensively.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Based on last weeks performance re-signing him would be a waste of cap space. He's a good kid who always tries hard but he's had long enough to establish himself and it hasn't happened. I wish him luck at the Storm

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The Storm made Brenko flipping Lee into an Origin player..anything is possible
Lee is still shit, Queensland have had very little options at centre for the last 2 years. I live in Melbourne and before the lockdowns I would go and see a few strom games (hate the club & it's supporters BTW) but let me tell you Brenko Lee is shit!! No sure where he is going next season but I know Melbourne pushed him out the door.

I do think Meaney will go well in the storm system.

Last edited:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds to me like he knows we'd pay more and thats why he'd like to say.
If it were me i'd be backing myself at Melb for 2 years, become the new Nico Hynes because Pap will keep getting injured here and there along with Munster, then sign that juicy 1.8m 3 year deal at the tigers when I come off contract
In theory sounds nice but in reality, he hasn't showed any of the skillsets needed to be a top line fullback. Maybe he can improve his support play but he lacks vision and creativity with ball in hand. I'm not sure if that can be coached, I think its something that comes naturally.

Munster, Hughes, Drinkwater and Paps were all natural ball players.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He should go to the Storm career wise. The Storm have a habit of making bog average players look like superstars as their system is well oiled. He's not going to be more than back up for us either

Old Bankstown

New Pup
Reaction score
Nick Meaney has been overlooked & under-rated by our club, the mere fact that Melbourne is interested in him tells that he has ability & potential. If he stays with us he will probably be farted around again. Neither the past nor the current coach have used him properly, there have been matches where he only gets the ball when he runs in to dummy half. I can see him being a much better & much more supported player at Melbourne & I wish him well.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe catching a few high balls on Sunday would of been good nick
That is basically it isnt it.. Kid just hasn't kicked on after a great game. Its a pity because he will get there in a couple of years but at the moment his 300k would go a long way to securing a better option elsewhere in the 17.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is basically it isnt it.. Kid just hasn't kicked on after a great game. Its a pity because he will get there in a couple of years but at the moment his 300k would go a long way to securing a better option elsewhere in the 17.
Agreed has potential but surplus requirements for us next year

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds to me like he knows we'd pay more and thats why he'd like to say.
If it were me i'd be backing myself at Melb for 2 years, become the new Nico Hynes because Pap will keep getting injured here and there along with Munster, then sign that juicy 1.8m 3 year deal at the tigers when I come off contract
Exactly… Melbourne would be offering minimal but talking to their systems and success and trying to convince him that way.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nick Meaney hopes to sit down with Canterbury bosses this week as he weighs up whether to stay with the NRL club or join a rival such as Melbourne.

a man holding a football ball: Off-contract Nick Meaney is weighing up an NRL offer from NRL premiers Melbourne.
© Darren Pateman/AAP PHOTOS Off-contract Nick Meaney is weighing up an NRL offer from NRL premiers Melbourne.
The off-contract Canterbury back has options for next year, despite facing a fight to remain part of the Bulldogs' revamped backline.

He met with Melbourne officials last week over a potential move to the Storm, with Craig Bellamy in search of a replacement for Cronulla-bound Nicho Hynes.

If the 23-year-old Meaney was to accept an offer to head south, it's likely he would become a back-up option for Melbourne.

While he admits the lure of playing for the reigning premiers is strong, there are several factors to weigh up including opportunity for game time.

"You look at any other sport. You look at the Lakers in the NBA or whoever the top team is in the AFL, any player will want to play for them," Meaney said.

"But at the same time we only play footy for 10 years in our life if we are lucky. So you have to make the right decision for your family and your future.

"It's game time, your financial options and long-term where you want to live.

"They (Melbourne) have lost Nicho Hynes so they need to have someone for that back-up fullback and utility back.

"They see me as taking his role over. It was good to meet with them and see where they're at."

Meaney is also believed to have attracted the attention of other rivals as he weighs up his options.

But the former NSW under-20s representative wants to meet with the Bulldogs again before a final decision.

Complicating the matter is that his manager has been unwell in recent days, putting the process on hold.

The Bulldogs have already signed Josh Addo-Carr and Brent Naden for next year, to go with this season's recruits Nick Cotric and Corey Allan.

Meaney's chance of playing a big role in the Bulldogs' future though has increased with Dallin Watene-Zelezniak moving to the Warriors.

Fellow Canterbury outside backs Will Hopoate, Christian Crichton, Tui Katoa and Jayden Okunbor are off contract at the end of this season.

"We have had conversations with Sharpey (recruitment manager Peter Sharpe) and Baz (Trent Barrett) and my manager going into hospital has put that on hold for now," Meaney said.

"Hopefully my manager is feeling better I can go in this week and I can meet with the Bulldogs and make a decision from there."
He's pretty average so let him go, and why is it we can have an average player who'll go to another team and become a better player, how many players have improved under Barrett?
Meaney would improve immensely being coached by Bellamy so he would be mad to stay with the doggies, also to win a comp you need a top quality FB and he isn't a top quality FB.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
More

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lee is still shit, Queensland have very little options at centre for the last 2 years. I live in Melbourne and before the lockdowns go and see a few strom games (hate the club & it's supporters BTW) but let me tell you Brenko Lee is shit!! No sure where he is going next season but I know Melbourne pushed him out the door.

I do think Meaney will go wellin the storm system.
Broncos signed him lol