Meaney and Marshall king

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Marshall King does he ever run from dummy half, Meaney needs to chime into the back line, turn it back inside to him, Chn stats last week were crap probably desersed the punt, Effort was there second half but need more upbeat tempo

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meaney makes Brett Hodgson look like Asofa-Solomona. He never breaks a tackle, gets monstered in defence and doesn't have a step, instead running straight at the defenders. Now he doesn't even run it back half the time because he knows he'll get smashed. Compare that to Charnze, who we could have got at the same price and you see what a real fullback can do.

He is safe under the high ball and has straight line speed and that's about it. He can pass, but Pay doesn't use him properly in sweep plays..

He has no tries, no line breaks, 1 try assist and very few tackle breaks and offloads in 10 games. I've seen enough to say he's not the answer as he isn't the game breaker you need from a fullback these days. We need to recruit someone like Papenhuyzen or Drinkwater.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meany is a BOY.... safe hands by a mile compared to anyone else we have but no attack atall.... he gets dominated every single hit up.

Jmk is lucky lichaa was the person he replaced or he wouldn’t be wearing a 9 in any other club in the comp.

Any club in the company bar us wouldn’t have the same 1,7,9.... heck 3/4 of our side wouldn’t make some reserve grade sides on current form

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Meaney makes Brett Hodgson look like Asofa-Solomona. He never breaks a tackle, gets monstered in defence and doesn't have a step, instead running straight at the defenders. Now he doesn't even run it back half the time because he knows he'll get smashed. Compare that to Charnze, who we could have got at the same price and you see what a real fullback can do.

He is safe under the high ball and has straight line speed and that's about it. He can pass, but Pay doesn't use him properly in sweep plays..

He has no tries, no line breaks, 1 try assist and very few tackle breaks and offloads in 10 games. I've seen enough to say he's not the answer as he isn't the game breaker you need from fullback these days.
i Meaney adds around 8kg to his frame im happy to keep him. but yeah certainly needs to learn to love the contact.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He has no tries, no line breaks, 1 try assist and very few tackle breaks and offloads in 10 games. I've seen enough to say he's not the answer as he isn't the game breaker you need from fullback these days. We need to recruit someone like Papanhuyzen or Drinkwater.
I was hoping he was our next patten but fuck me he has a lot to work on. Atleast patten used to break 1-2 tackles on returns and used to step players and support players. This kid catches a good ball and then gets monstered

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Marshall King does he ever run from dummy half, Meaney needs to chime into the back line, turn it back inside to him, Chn stats last week were crap probably desersed the punt, Effort was there second half but need more upbeat tempo
Yeah, he does run....2mtrs out from the opposition try line and straight into 4 players.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i Meaney adds around 8kg to his frame im happy to keep him. but yeah certainly needs to learn to love the contact.
I don't think it's the muscle, I think it's his game. Other small fullbacks are bigger threats and break tackles. Look at someone like Corey Thompson. Whenever he plays fullback, he has 5 and sometimes 10 tackle breaks. Same as Dufty and Edwards.

Meaney doesn't even step. What fullback that small and that quick has no footwork? He runs straight and not at an angle or change of speed/direction like other fullbacks.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of our team tackle busts except for Smith. None of our backs runs an inside line EVER. Our play the balls are the slowest in the comp. My advice is to start drinking heavily an hour before kickoff because at least you can miss the 2nd half by electing to be paralytic.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was hoping he was our next patten but fuck me he has a lot to work on. Atleast patten used to break 1-2 tackles on returns and used to step players and support players. This kid catches a good ball and then gets monstered
I know. I had hopes too. I think he's not used properly in attack and isn't vocal enough when he doesn't get the ball but there's no doubting he offers very little as a ball runner unless he's in complete open space. As a fullback who has 20 returns a game and should be touching the ball two times a set in attack, you need more production and attacking stats.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we still wait with Meaney at this stage , yes not great yet.. but is safe at the back An there are promising signs however.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
He does not run with confidence. He positions himself in expectation of being dominated. He approaches in a defensive position, gifting them a tackled parcel.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know. I had hopes too. I think he's not used properly in attack and isn't vocal enough when he doesn't get the ball but there's no doubting he offers very little as a ball runner unless he's in complete open space. As a fullback who has 20 returns a game and should be touching the ball two times a set in attack, you need more production and attacking stats.
Agree, the 1 and 9 are as important as the 6,7 in this comp. cog is rubbish but Lewis isn’t doing anything spectacular in lower grades. Meany we have no other full back to cover which baffles me as we havnt had a decent fullback since barba and Hooker same thing.

Ennis goes and we havnt had a decent Hooker since. This club is run by muppets

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think we still wait with Meaney at this stage , yes not great yet.. but is safe at the back An there are promising signs however.
yeah at this rate i would prefer the explosiveness of Papenhuzyen. However Meaney isnt the reason we are losing games so im willing to be patient also

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
S

and when I said why the fuck didn’t we chase seg when he was available people went mental. I’m so sick of this good boy policy. We havnt won shit since 2004....
Well, he didn't last that long at the Groncos before he got in shit AGAIN....so that wouldn't have been the smartest idea either but I know what you mean.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

He has no tries, no line breaks, 1 try assist and very few tackle breaks and offloads in 10 games. I've seen enough to say he's not the answer as he isn't the game breaker you need from a fullback these days. We need to recruit someone like Papenhuyzen or Drinkwater.
He is slowing down now before he reaches the defence prob sick of getting smashed. He was running harder before but its obvious he isnt being coached properly. Disappointed thought he had potential

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, he didn't last that long at the Groncos before he got in shit AGAIN....so that wouldn't have been the smartest idea either but I know what you mean.
He got a slap on the hand and once match ban.... I swear I’d be willing to risk it on someone like him. We desperately need some pressure off the halves and creativity else where. We are to predictable and jmk offers fuck all

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is slowing down now before he reaches the defence prob sick of getting smashed. He was running harder before but its obvious he isnt being coached properly. Disappointed thought he had potential
No doubt he isn't being used the right way and a better coach could get more out of him. But the better players find a way of contributing and Meaney isn't doing anywhere near enough. His lack of footwork and step is bizarre for someone with his speed and lack of size.