McGuire

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly there's a select few players in the league I would categorize as c*ckheads I would never want to see in our colours. He's one of them though (along with Joseph Leilua, Clint Gutherson and Nathan Brown to name a few).
I’ll take Clint any day

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need players with "today's" to help out our players with "tomorrows" ....not that it's mcGuire, but I'd like to think the club would be looking at every available option that pops up.
Yeah fair enough. I just worry that we will panic and sign older players who come for a retirement cheque and we stay in this mess even longer

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s a like repeating the Napa mistake all over again. Can’t believe so many people are keen for it.
We signed Napa for 3 years at what 6-700k. Who at the time was a bench forward for the roosters. McGuire deal would be 1.5yr contract max. Not sure of exact salary but wouldn't be as much as Napa. We have 15 or so players off contract at end of 21. Napa, Ogden and Atoni are in that bunch.

Just look at stats

Ogden Rd 1: 15 runs for 135m, 18 tackles, 51mins

Rd2: 6 runs for 56m, 18 tackles, 24mins

Rd 3: 8 for 66m, 25 tackles, 31mins

Napa Rd 1: 4 runs for 42m, 12 tackles, 17mins

Rd 2: 5 runs for 37m, 23 tackles, 24mins

Rd 3: 8 runs for 77m, 22 tackles, 36mins

Atoni Rd 1: 4 runs for 48m, 22 tackles, 27mins

Rd 2: 6 runs for 56m, 31 tackles, 34mins

Rd 3: 9 runs for 84m, 27 tackles, 46mins.

Mcguire Rd 1: 11 runs for 103m, 16 tackles, 29mins

Rd 2: 15 runs for 109m, 34 tackles, 49mins

Rd 3: 12 runs for 112m, 32 tackles, 59mins.

I Understand stats dont paint the entire picture. Dogs havent had as much possession in past few games which impact attacking stats but if Napa, Atoni and Ogden are off contract is it really that bad to basically swap one out for McGuire on a 1.5yr deal instead of re-signing say Ogden or Atoni on hope they'll come good? We are still in the market next year to buy for 22/23 regardless.

McGuire was let go because the young crop of Broncos didn't like his old school mentality. How did that go for them? They lacked a forward leader last year that wasn't scared to pull their egos in to place. Yes his character isn't great, I'm not a fan of him but I could put up with him for 12 months if it means he comes in and ruffles a few feathers with our forwards and challenges them to get a bit of mongrel about them

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We signed Napa for 3 years at what 6-700k. Who at the time was a bench forward for the roosters. McGuire deal would be 1.5yr contract max. Not sure of exact salary but wouldn't be as much as Napa. We have 15 or so players off contract at end of 21. Napa, Ogden and Atoni are in that bunch.

Just look at stats

Ogden Rd 1: 15 runs for 135m, 18 tackles, 51mins

Rd2: 6 runs for 56m, 18 tackles, 24mins

Rd 3: 8 for 66m, 25 tackles, 31mins

Napa Rd 1: 4 runs for 42m, 12 tackles, 17mins

Rd 2: 5 runs for 37m, 23 tackles, 24mins

Rd 3: 8 runs for 77m, 22 tackles, 36mins

Atoni Rd 1: 4 runs for 48m, 22 tackles, 27mins

Rd 2: 6 runs for 56m, 31 tackles, 34mins

Rd 3: 9 runs for 84m, 27 tackles, 46mins.

Mcguire Rd 1: 11 runs for 103m, 16 tackles, 29mins

Rd 2: 15 runs for 109m, 34 tackles, 49mins

Rd 3: 12 runs for 112m, 32 tackles, 59mins.

I Understand stats dont paint the entire picture. Dogs havent had as much possession in past few games which impact attacking stats but if Napa, Atoni and Ogden are off contract is it really that bad to basically swap one out for McGuire on a 1.5yr deal instead of re-signing say Ogden or Atoni on hope they'll come good? We are still in the market next year to buy for 22/23 regardless.

McGuire was let go because the young crop of Broncos didn't like his old school mentality. How did that go for them? They lacked a forward leader last year that wasn't scared to pull their egos in to place. Yes his character isn't great, I'm not a fan of him but I could put up with him for 12 months if it means he comes in and ruffles a few feathers with our forwards and challenges them to get a bit of mongrel about them
I was talking more about buying a player for their mongrel when comparing McGuire and Napa. I'm sure McGuire wouldn't cost as much but I'm not sure what value we would get out of him.

What effect has McGuire had at the Cowboys though? He has hardly lifted them to any great heights and they have a few decent players in that pack which we don't at the minute. If he's doing nothing there I can't see how that would change if he came to the Dogs.

His stats aren't that much better than our pack to be honest he has just had more hit ups and our forwards have struggled for runs because of our lack of possession.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking more about buying a player for their mongrel when comparing McGuire and Napa. I'm sure McGuire wouldn't cost as much but I'm not sure what value we would get out of him.

What effect has McGuire had at the Cowboys though? He has hardly lifted them to any great heights and they have a few decent players in that pack which we don't at the minute. If he's doing nothing there I can't see how that would change if he came to the Dogs.

His stats aren't that much better than our pack to be honest he has just had more hit ups and our forwards have struggled for runs because of our lack of possession.
He can’t farkin make the starting 13 of a team that is nearly as shit as us

Pass

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

That's a fair point mate. I'm just disappointed with our pack at the moment and there doesn't seem to much on offer in way of improvements at the moment. One thing i don't mind McGuire seems to do things with intent or purpose, whereas our guys seem to be rolling through the motions. A former test/origin forward on the market for modest contract could have some value to the squad or it could completely backfire.
I agree he hasn't lit the world on fire at the cowboys, maybe a change or scenery would be a good thing? Like others have said I just want to see the club proactively looking for improving the squad. Otherwise we are going to hamper Flanagan's development. Bit hard to perform when his pack are offering those numbers. You always hear the former great halves say they struggled when their pack struggled.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Finished in the NRL. No club would be desperate to sign a player that loves to eye gouge and is difficult to get along with.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah fair enough. I just worry that we will panic and sign older players who come for a retirement cheque and we stay in this mess even longer
Just like Parra did 10 years ago?

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a fair point mate. I'm just disappointed with our pack at the moment and there doesn't seem to much on offer in way of improvements at the moment. One thing i don't mind McGuire seems to do things with intent or purpose, whereas our guys seem to be rolling through the motions. A former test/origin forward on the market for modest contract could have some value to the squad or it could completely backfire.
I agree he hasn't lit the world on fire at the cowboys, maybe a change or scenery would be a good thing? Like others have said I just want to see the club proactively looking for improving the squad. Otherwise we are going to hamper Flanagan's development. Bit hard to perform when his pack are offering those numbers. You always hear the former great halves say they struggled when their pack struggled.
I stated last year that we should of made a play for James Tamou. Brings experience, size and wouldn’t be on big coin either..

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pass, vaughan and nicholls for front row depth.
A hooker is paramount,
Nene mac donald would be handy and cheap
The games changed again, we need speed and size.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
we need aggression, need some mongral in the team
im not a fan of mcguire but would take him at the right price
if it’s a swap for Napa. I’d do it. McGuire has passion. Napa has none.

not to mention our squad makeup has plenty of holes.A few veterans will help the team get some go forward. At this point it’s a cheap roll of the dice. And let’s us get another year where we maybe backfill with juniors going forward in the pack.
No matter what any of you think about him personally. He is an upgrade of what we have currently. And that’s what we need currently. Guys who put in.
What other cheap veterans are around that will see guys like burton and jac coming and think I’d like to be part of that. Our juniors are just lacking and need those old heads around them to get them playing right.

Last edited:

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would try and bring back Rysse Martin, CHN , and go all out for haas.
All.game breakers that should solve our forward pack for 2022.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ummmm no.!!!

Dakdah

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Jayden su’a is off contract apparently. I’d rather go after him

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tough... experienced.. id prefer a prop leader though if we can land one.. someonw that makes big metres per game & is experienced at NRL level..

Would have taken Tamou or Ryan James or AFB.. now should look at Tapau & Vaughan