Mbye wants to forge potent combo with Foran

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More Dribble from mbye, he wasn't involved enough for my liking even tho he only played 40min, hopefully he proves me wrong.

Moses Mbye is relishing the prospect of forging a powerful partnership from the back with Kieran Foran after making a promising start to his positional switch to fullback.

Mbye chimed in nicely on several occasions and nearly scored after a Foran pass as the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs registered a 16-12 trial win over the Canberra Raiders on the Sunshine Coast.

While he only played the first half, Mbye appeared to embrace his switch from the halves and said it would suit him. The direct style of play Foran showcases should set Mbye free if he can loom up in support.

“Everyone knows how tough Foz [Kieran Foran] is and how he plays straight. He’s going to be priceless for a side like ours with a big forward pack around him,” Mbye told NRL.com.

“If I can spend some time with him and form a good combination, that will help us become a successful side.

“Everyone knows how vital time is together. Cronk, Smith and Slater spent 15 years together and look what it did for Melbourne.

“I’m enjoying having the freedom and a bit more space at the back, and the style of footy (coach) Dean Pay wants us to play is pretty exciting.

“I think fullback suits my running game and getting to bring those skills and attributes into the game will be better for my style of play.”

Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Kieran Foran.
Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Kieran Foran. Scott Davis / NRL Photos
Bulldogs centre Josh Morris was looking forward to the extra punch Mbye would provide from the back field.

“We’ve seen his ball playing abilities but now he’s got an option to roam around and bringing back those kick returns with the pace he has he can certainly make some line breaks and start our sets off really well,” Morris said.

“There is a lot more running involved at fullback, and he has done a lot more running in the pre-season, but he seems to have enjoyed it.

“I thought our spine played really well. Moses played well, Kieran Foran directed us around and Michael Lichaa set up a try and scored one so they were good signs moving forward.”

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah what a dick for trying to be positive and optimistic. It’s his first ever 40mins at fullback. It will take him most of this year to get it right. The move to fullback is an investment for the future. Give the guy a break.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He needs to trail the runners alot better,its those effort plays that make the difference

WestBeast

Peyow Peyow
Reaction score
Yeah what a dick for trying to be positive and optimistic. It’s his first ever 40mins at fullback. It will take him most of this year to get it right. The move to fullback is an investment for the future. Give the guy a break.
Agreed so many nrl fullbacks on this site aye , 1st trial and ***** wanna lay the boots in , it’s sad really

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope Mbye has a good season. But he's always so willing to sell his own tickets. So it annoys me that he has been involved in a significant portion of the player interviews already this year. It's probably a bit harsh to say that. But ever since he confidently told us that he was the man to get Reynolds into line as his halves partner a while ago I've felt like he's got bigger raps on himself than he should have.

In the right role he can become a potent attacking weapon. But I wish he'd let his football do the talking for now.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be fair the bloke has continually promised the world and delivered an atlas
Too much talk and not enough action

School boy error of remaining behind the ball carrier after a break from Morris

That has nothing to do with time, just common sense and footy nouse

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If suli pulls his finger out and I know it’s a big if I’d revert back to;

1. Hoppa
2. Montoya
3. Suli
4. Jmoz
5: bmoz
6. Mbye/Cleeland
7: Foran

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If suli pulls his finger out and I know it’s a big if I’d revert back to;

1. Hoppa
2. Montoya
3. Suli
4. Jmoz
5: bmoz
6. Mbye/Cleeland
7: Foran
Mbye is the best 5/8 at the club and I'd love to see Hoppa back at the back but Hoppa at centre is the future soooo i'd love to see Pay try his hand at the following...

1. Bergamin / Cerruto / Marshall - King
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. Hoppa
5. Montoya
6.Mbye
7.Foran

Its for one season until we offer RTS an offer he cant refuse so just do it Pay !

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
To be fair the bloke has continually promised the world and delivered an atlas
Too much talk and not enough action

School boy error of remaining behind the ball carrier after a break from Morris

That has nothing to do with time, just common sense and footy nouse
Fucking lol. Don't act like he has never supported the ball carrier properly and a player has never overrun the ball before.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Give him a chance, let him have a run of games at fullback before we judge him. If we want to win something this season it needs to be him at fullback because we don’t have any other potential difference makers in the squad that could play fullback.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
More Dribble from mbye, he wasn't involved enough for my liking even tho he only played 40min, hopefully he proves me wrong.

Moses Mbye is relishing the prospect of forging a powerful partnership from the back with Kieran Foran after making a promising start to his positional switch to fullback.

Mbye chimed in nicely on several occasions and nearly scored after a Foran pass as the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs registered a 16-12 trial win over the Canberra Raiders on the Sunshine Coast.

While he only played the first half, Mbye appeared to embrace his switch from the halves and said it would suit him. The direct style of play Foran showcases should set Mbye free if he can loom up in support.

“Everyone knows how tough Foz [Kieran Foran] is and how he plays straight. He’s going to be priceless for a side like ours with a big forward pack around him,” Mbye told NRL.com.

“If I can spend some time with him and form a good combination, that will help us become a successful side.

“Everyone knows how vital time is together. Cronk, Smith and Slater spent 15 years together and look what it did for Melbourne.

“I’m enjoying having the freedom and a bit more space at the back, and the style of footy (coach) Dean Pay wants us to play is pretty exciting.

“I think fullback suits my running game and getting to bring those skills and attributes into the game will be better for my style of play.”

Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Kieran Foran.
Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Kieran Foran. Scott Davis / NRL Photos
Bulldogs centre Josh Morris was looking forward to the extra punch Mbye would provide from the back field.

“We’ve seen his ball playing abilities but now he’s got an option to roam around and bringing back those kick returns with the pace he has he can certainly make some line breaks and start our sets off really well,” Morris said.

“There is a lot more running involved at fullback, and he has done a lot more running in the pre-season, but he seems to have enjoyed it.

“I thought our spine played really well. Moses played well, Kieran Foran directed us around and Michael Lichaa set up a try and scored one so they were good signs moving forward.”
So Mbye isnt allowed to talk until he has 20 FG tries at fullback or something? And when was his previous dribble for this to be "more dribble". As you can see most people disagree with your harshness against mbye. Its just wrong this soon, after a TRIAL he only played half of. So the first line you added to the story...shoulda left it out. Premature adjudication lol.

Last edited:

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So Mbye isnt allowed to talk until he has 20 FG tries at fullback or something? And when was his previous dribble for this to be "more dribble". As you can see most people disagree with your harshness against mbye. Its just wrong this soon, after a TRIAL he only played half of. So the first line you added to the story...shoulda left it out.
Sadly I think everytime he does something right you will only hear crickets and when he makes ANY mistake there will be calls for his head. Too many on here have inextricably linked him to Des and so they have transferred all their aggro onto him. The kid is a good footy player and I for one think he will do a great job at FB. Will he win MOM every week - no but he won't let us down and I noticed he was in the right spots at the right time last night so he has the basics down pat at this stage. A little sharpening of his timing and the sky's the limit.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only half a game in a trial match. Let's wait and see how he performs when the season commences. Hoppa has the makings of a good centre; so leave him there, and let Moses' speed work for us where it matters.

Captain Jack

Waterboy
Reaction score
Only half a game in a trial match. Let's wait and see how he performs when the season commences. Hoppa has the makings of a good centre; so leave him there, and let Moses' speed work for us where it matters.
I’m going to throw something out in the open here.... Benny Barba was a sensation for us back in 2012, and from what I recall he wasn’t always a fullback (I believe he started at 5/8). Now, moving onto Moses Mbye... IMO, Mbye is quicker than Barba, stronger than Barba and a better defender than Barba... If he can get things like his timing, positioning and catching the high ball right.... who’s to say he can’t be just as good, if not better?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Two times last night he was VERY close to going over.

One he got squeezed too close to sideline and monstered in defence. The other time he overran the break from JMoz.

As he fine tunes his timing and positioning he's going to be very dangerous out there in attack.

Only question mark is he was largely untested under he high ball last night.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't hate the bloke I wish he does well at FB but I've heard it all before when he was playing in the halfs,He has put me off in the wrong way ever since this article.

Then every media interview he has promised the world and given us nothing.

$750k his earning well done to him for getting that deal.

but he has been in FG for 3 years going on his 4th time to deliver.

And I mean more dribble as in how he promised us he can't wait to lead this team,
and build combinations with Reynolds blah blah blah I mean I like his positivity but kinda getting sick of it.

Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Moses Mbye wants a Des Hasler contract clause

Pivotal role: Bulldogs youngster Moses Mbye is keen to keep working with coach Des Hasler.
Pivotal role: Bulldogs youngster Moses Mbye is keen to keep working with coach Des Hasler. Photo: Getty Images
Moses Mbye will consider aligning his new contract with coach Des Hasler by inserting a "Dessie clause" as he prepares to begin negotiations with the Bulldogs.

Mbye is contracted until the end next year but will be among the most sought after players on the open market. With Trent Hodkinson Newcastle-bound at the end of this season, the Bulldogs will look to secure Mbye on an extended deal to make him the club's long-term No.7.

Advertisement
Such is the regard that Mbye has for Hasler, the 21-year-old is considering negotiating a clause that could see him walk away from the Bulldogs should Hasler step aside as coach.

"It's probably not a bad idea," Mbye said of the clause. "Des is a high-calibre coach and a great influence on my career so far. I'm sure we will look at that going forward.

"He is a great influence and a very smart man. He knows the game inside out. The knowledge he possesses and transfers to myself is second to none. I'm really excited about working with him going forward."

Hasler's track record with young halves including Hodkinson, Josh Reynolds and Manly duo Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans is what excites Mbye. Mbye has put aside negotiations until the off-season, as he focuses on guiding the Bulldogs into the finals.

"[Hasler's] resume is pretty golden," Mbye, who recently became a father, said. "Foran, Cherry-Evans and the two boys here [at the Bulldogs], it's not a bad list of star players. If you get close to being on that list you're doing pretty good.

"It's something we'll get to in the off-season. At the moment we want to focus on this season and get the boys into the finals. I'm sure [contract negotiations] will be top of the list in the off-season.

"Ideally this is the club who have given me the opportunity to become who I am and has given me a great start to life. Hopefully I can repay them."

In the short term, Mbye has reclaimed his starting spot with Reynolds sidelined for at least another four weeks with a knee injury. His recall came after watching consecutive games on the sidelines as Hasler opted for the experienced combination of Reynolds and Hodkinson.

"It was tough missing football but me and Des communicated in depth each week about the situation we're in and there were a few things he wanted to work on in my game," Mbye said. "There are a short list of things he wants me to do, but that's between me and Des.

"You've got to look at the blokes who do take your position. Josh and Trent are obviously two experienced halves and two very good halves. It's not like I lost it to poor competition, they are great players.

"Unfortunately for Josh he succumbed to a knee injury but it's an exciting five weeks for myself and I'm looking forward to it.

"I'm not there to set up or score a 100 tries, it's get through our game plan and stick to our processes and [Hasler will be] a happy man."

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree. And I think by making those statements, he probably realises that he is just not a half.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m going to throw something out in the open here.... Benny Barba was a sensation for us back in 2012, and from what I recall he wasn’t always a fullback (I believe he started at 5/8). Now, moving onto Moses Mbye... IMO, Mbye is quicker than Barba, stronger than Barba and a better defender than Barba... If he can get things like his timing, positioning and catching the high ball right.... who’s to say he can’t be just as good, if not better?
Barba was pretty quick in 2012.
Especially off a standing start.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I liked the move they did, even though it ended with Mbye into touch.

It was slick and flowing like other teams not that clunky shit were have been dished up for years.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Give him a chance, let him have a run of games at fullback before we judge him. If we want to win something this season it needs to be him at fullback because we don’t have any other potential difference makers in the squad that could play fullback.
Spot on i posted something similar a month ago,barba was rubbish early on couldnt take a bomb then look how good he become,we need to be patient moses has all the traits to be a gun fb

Status
Not open for further replies.