Mbye set to become Bulldogs fullback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't mind Hoppa at the back tbh but if they want to give Mbye a go so be it.

I'm a bit iffy over giving a guy who hasnt played FB since fuck knows when. He hasn't played it in a meaningful game anyway.

What if we try him there and he is HORRIBLE lol. Then we have to mix and match again. Anyway excited to see what will happen.
Worst case scenario. If he fails after 5 rounds. Hoppa back to 1 and mbye to 6.... im sure hoppa and mbye will be training in both respective positions over the off season. Its a gamble I'm willing to take

The potential reward far outweighs the potential risk

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Trial form will mean fuck all, it isn't a priority at all during trials.
I know that but you still get to see how comfortable he is. I can still remember watching JR in a trial before he made FG. He looked ready then and turned out he was.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did he get a broken leg after the 20's? He did plenty of it then - and then along came Des........

Not sure but from what I've seen of him he has
Speed
Can pass
Nice sweet left foot kick
But no step.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yawn. Another day, another attempt at finding this fraud a position in the team. This blokes contract is a greater atrocity than T-Rex and Eastwood combined.

Hoppa's safe as a bank at fullback, this position should've been the least of our worries.

Best thing we could possibly do is just cut our losses, ship him off ESL and pay half his contract for the next few years. He's a stain on our team.
Last 10 fullbacks to win the comp were:

2017: Slater
2016: Barba
2015: Coote
2014: Inglis
2013: RTS
2012: Slater
2011: Stewart
2010: Boyd
2009: Slater
2008: Stewart

Find me a safe fullback that has won the league in the recent history, Coote is the closest one and even he was a proper threat in 2015 with ball playing skills and him backing up the forwards. Hopoate is not and will never be a premiership winning fullback.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I know that but you still get to see how comfortable he is. I can still remember watching JR in a trial before he made FG. He looked ready then and turned out he was.
Ohh yh for sure, it will mostly be about him nailing the basics of his role...just like it will be for every other player in the squad.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure but from what I've seen of him he has
Speed
Can pass
Nice sweet left foot kick
But no step.
Not sure either mate but the game against south on good friday last year came to mind. Thought he beat 2 or 3 defenders to score with a left foot step.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Find me a safe fullback that has won the league in the recent history, Coote is the closest one and even he was a proper threat in 2015 with ball playing skills and him backing up the forwards. Hopoate is not and will never be a premiership winning fullback.
Sorry mate, most on that list are safe fb. You meant fb that offers more than just being safe? Guess we dont know with hoppa yet with the structure in the past etc. I just thought he had auditioned very well last 3 games by scoring 3 tries and setting up 5 or something like that. Guess his lack of speed always put doubt in ppls mind.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

They're all safe as banks..

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sorry mate, most on that list are safe fb. You meant fb that offers more than just being safe? Guess we dont know with hoppa yet with the structure in the past etc. I just thought he had auditioned very well last 3 games by scoring 3 tries and setting up 5 or something like that. Guess his lack of speed always put doubt in ppls mind.
They're all safe as banks..
I meant as in there not scared to try a something and not just catch the ball and run to the nearest defender.

gibbobulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Is it march yet? I want to start watching the dogs smash the sombrero roosters and giving the premiership a red hot crack.UP THE DOGGYS.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm happy to give Mbye a shot at fullback, just to see what hes got. He might prove a lot of doubters right or wrong, me included. If he fails, he should
go straight into centre. I believe thats his best chance.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That’s wrong Des had a hard on for Brenko for several years he had a few cracks at him and finally got him last year. They almost got him half way through 2016 but Stuart wanted to keep him!
Hes often wrong
And Hopoate displayed his ball passing skills in the final games of the season, when he chimed in and threw perfectly timed passes out to the wing for tries. I thought then that he looked a natural centre who could read opportunities, and draw in the defence.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yawn. Another day, another attempt at finding this fraud a position in the team. This blokes contract is a greater atrocity than T-Rex and Eastwood combined.

Hoppa's safe as a bank at fullback, this position should've been the least of our worries.

Best thing we could possibly do is just cut our losses, ship him off ESL and pay half his contract for the next few years. He's a stain on our team.
Fucking nonsense!!!

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just was thinking. Would this 1-7 be that bad....

1. Hoppa
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. ? (Lee i guess)
5. Montoya
6. Mbye
7. Foran
9. Lichaa
14. Brown

If mbye plays tight and close to the line, no reason he cant be a better 6 than he would be a 1.

If people want to put Hoppa into the centres who is the next FB in line?

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just was thinking. Would this 1-7 be that bad....

1. Hoppa
2. Bmoz
3. Jmoz
4. ? (Lee i guess)
5. Montoya
6. Mbye
7. Foran
9. Lichaa
14. Brown

If mbye plays tight and close to the line, no reason he cant be a better 6 than he would be a 1.

If people want to put Hoppa into the centres who is the next FB in line?
Mbye showed glimpses of talent at 6 in the last 3 rounds of the year. I really enjoyed his combo with lichaa in the gc game. But then he got knocked out which was annoying.

Truth be told we should probably hold back all of our prior judgements on the squad as it is clear Des had them playing to a plan rather to strengths. Mbye is someone that was chased by bennett, Bellamy and has good wraps on him by Walters. Yes not everyone is superhuman, but we got all 3 saying they want him and they don't do that for nothing. It's clear to me then, the kid has talent. It's time we got a coach to help him utilise the talent.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ok I might as well have my say here.

Foran is a FIVE EIGHTH. And on his day, he can be a brilliant one. He is NOT a halfback. Neither is Mbye. Have a handy five-eighth playing as an average halfback, and a a fullback playing as five-eighth is NOT the answer. You know what the answer is? Scroll down...

SIGN A FUCKING HALFBACK!!!

(By the way, that's aimed at the Hasler era, not Pay. Pay has been given no time to do anything about the halfback problem).

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok I might as well have my say here.

Foran is a FIVE EIGHTH. And on his day, he can be a brilliant one. He is NOT a halfback. Neither is Mbye. Have a handy five-eighth playing as an average halfback, and a a fullback playing as five-eighth is NOT the answer. You know what the answer is? Scroll down...

SIGN A FUCKING HALFBACK!!!

(By the way, that's aimed at the Hasler era, not Pay. Pay has been given no time to do anything about the halfback problem).
Foran can steer a team around, organise the players and run plays. He can play ‘halfback’

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
Foran can steer a team around, organise the players and run plays. He can play ‘halfback’
this!!
we need an organiser! thats all, a good kicker wouldnt be bad either, so hopefully his hammys are up to it, and lichaa can kick out of dummy half (would never know because he wasnt allowed to do anything in the Des era)
still need a long kicker, but this rubbish about halfback / five - eighth, we just need an organiser which Foran can do quite well

i wouldnt mind seeing him and Mbye play both sides though, i hate 1 half on each side of the field, a proper half plays both sides and can pass both ways

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
this!!
we need an organiser! thats all, a good kicker wouldnt be bad either, so hopefully his hammys are up to it, and lichaa can kick out of dummy half (would never know because he wasnt allowed to do anything in the Des era)
still need a long kicker, but this rubbish about halfback / five - eighth, we just need an organiser which Foran can do quite well

i wouldnt mind seeing him and Mbye play both sides though, i hate 1 half on each side of the field, a proper half plays both sides and can pass both ways
Lichaa can be the long kicker every ball I've seen him kick goes dead :p

Status
Not open for further replies.