Matthew Johns analyses Kieran Foran’s arrival at Canterbury Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Matthew Johns analyses Kieran Foran’s arrival at Canterbury Bulldogs

KIERAN Foran is a done deal at the Bulldogs, with the star half announcing his Warriors exit and his manager Sam Ayoub confirming to The Daily Telegraph that Canterbury have their man.

It’s another massive signing in a period full of sensational moves that will give the 2018 season a very different look.

Equal for hype with the James Tedesco switch to the Roosters, Foran’s move could in fact be the one that defines the premiership battle next year, with Matthew Johns claiming it instantly propelled the Bulldogs back into premiership contention.

The big money involved in Foran’s acquisition is certain to force Canterbury to move some freight, with that process started by Josh Reynolds’ decision to take up a lucrative offer with the Wests Tigers.

There’s several other big names who could yet follow Reynolds out of Belmore and Johns identified two Bulldogs stars whose career paths are about to change.

Speaking on Triple M’s The Grill Team on Wednesday morning, Johns said Foran would make a huge difference to young half Moses Mbye’s game and would likely force skipper James Graham out of the club.

Kieran Foran’s signing at the Bulldogs might push James Graham out.Source: News Corp Australia

“The thing about it is, it’s one thing to let players go but someone’s got to take those players off their hands,” Johns said.

“Next year James Graham’s on about $950,000 I believe, so they’ve got to free that up.

“It’s one thing to say to a club, ‘yeah we’re going to let James Graham go’ but I reckon at the moment there’s only one or two clubs — one of which is Newcastle, which I’ve said, who would say, OK we’re going to pay you that, in fact rather than pay you $950,000 we’re going to pay you $1.15m.

“So the ball’s in Newcastle’s court. (The Bulldogs) have gotta offload some money, for me it’s the obvious one, James Graham to Newcastle.”

Another star forward who could be on the outer is Sam Kasiano, with foxsports.com.au reporting in Nathan Ryan’s Market Watch column that the Storm were interested in luring the man they call ‘Dogzilla’ to Melbourne as a replacement for Cowboys-bound Jordan McLean.

Both Graham and Kasiano are under contract with the Bulldogs next season but the arrival of Aaron Woods is likely to shake a big name forward out and Canterbury are in a position where they would listen to offers from rival clubs.

The loss of Graham, Kasiano or both would be a blow that Foran’s arrival would soften if he can lift the players around him and Johns said the 23-year-old Mbye stood to benefit most.

On a big deal that will keep him at Belmore until the end of the 2020 season, Mbye is seen as the Bulldogs’ future but he has struggled to take his game to the next level with the added responsibility that has fallen his way since the departure of Trent Hodkinsoin at the end of the 2015 season.

Johns said part of Mbye’s struggles can be put down to his role, which has been overcomplicated by the lack of a game manager in Canterbury’s spine.

Kieran Foran could help Moses Mbye’s game go to the next level.Source: News Corp Australia
“Moses has come up a little bit short because they need him in 2016 to be more than the player that he is,” Johns explained.

“Moses Mbye’s style, he reminds me of a rabbit looking for a hole in the fence, he’s a ducker and he’s a darter. They need a person who’s going to steer the side around the park and he’s never going to be that kind of player.

“When Kieran Foran goes there, suddenly he runs the whole side and he allows Moses to be that exciting, free runner of the football. Don’t worry about steering the side around the park, don’t worry about last tackle options, (Foran will) look after that.

“So, all of a sudden the pieces of the puzzle sit where they should be.

“That’s the reason — they’ve got a great winning culture at the Bulldogs — Kieran will make an enormous difference and they’ll be a top four side at least next year.”

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mbye sux as a half!!!! Frawley should partner Foran in the halves and Mbye to hooker. We still need a fullback though Hoppa is not the answer especially with his NO PLAY SUNDAY clause.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly silva.

As for speculation about we will be in the top 4 next year at least.
Its a bit early isn't it.

A

Alexander the Great

Johns is a sneaky Fuck trying to manipulate things so Graham ends up at Newcastle.
Yes agee. Everytime i watch his show he is throwing in comments regarding the knights ec. Very sneaky

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Andrew Johns should stick to whatever it is he does on Fox, I think it's trying to be funny.

He's not an analyst of the game and has no idea about movements as he's shown a million times with his bs rumours.

A

Alexander the Great

Andrew Johns should stick to whatever it is he does on Fox, I think it's trying to be funny.

He's not an analyst of the game and has no idea about movements as he's shown a million times with his bs rumours.
Smelly ****. His armpits are always wet. He is either sweating all the drugs out from the weekend or doesnt use deodorant. They even laugh at it on the show.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Now it's getting creepy. Johns' love for Graham is bordering stalking. That's AVO shit right there!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I reckon at any other club with graham running onto the ball, allowed to play at or before the line or offload through it he will be the best prop in the game.

No one has a motor like graham. But his plodder hit ups have taken away from his game.

Dude is still one of the best in the Comp as shown last week in the test match. We just don't use him as a prop and play too flat to allow him to ball play to a half.

Foran should make a difference if our game plan changes. But if we continue with a current structure even having trobijonovinv, Thurston, Cronk and Hodgson in the spine it won't help us construct tries. Just like now our tries come off the cuff or through individuals. Hit ups 10 meters out don't help set plays. Especially when the defence just needs to go back 2 meters to reset the line.

20 out the halves should be first receiver. It works for 15 other teams but we persist with front rowers.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Smelly ****. His armpits are always wet. He is either sweating all the drugs out from the weekend or doesnt use deodorant. They even laugh at it on the show.
lol I agree, either change your deodorant, wear lighter coloured shirts or just buy a size larger shirt next time instead of trying to prove your body is still what it was 15 years ago, neither of the panel wear shirts that look very comfortable FFS, they do look disgusting with the sweaty arm pits on national television....fix it Mr producer FFS

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Johns is a sneaky Fuck trying to manipulate things so Graham ends up at Newcastle.
I know I'm a lot older than many here (alzheimers hasn't set it yet) , but where is all of this talk on Graham leaving coming from? Has some journo just made it all up to try and tear the Bulldogs apart or is it true?

Last edited:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Graham is exactly what knights need (plus some other players). Cant blame him for trying i suppose

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Foran will be great too but we can worry about that next year. I hope Graham stays but if he goes, Newcastle is a good fit. It must be being strongly considered because I doubt we'll be in another position to offload an ageing $950 grand contracted player (and not lose a cent in the deal) any time soon.

If both Kas and Graham go it will free up about 1.3 to 1.4 mill, which could help us get a very good hooker or full back - maybe both. If anything happens with offloading players I hope it's quick so we can have a crack at guys like Peats and Dugan before they sign elsewhere.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I'm a lot older than many here (alzheimers hasn't set it yet) , but where is all of this talk on Graham leaving coming from? Has some journo just made it all up to try and tear the Bulldogs apart or is it true?
Nothing can ever be proven in these matters.
I always feel journos get tipped off by insiders within a club.
So far reynolds woods foran have found new homes whilst it seems only days ago everyone involved was in denial.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Foran finally signs with the dogs when Marty johns didnt predict it for the first year since the rumours started years back.

2012, natty johns, oh it's a done deal
2013, rumours suggest it's a done deal and I believe them, Foran extremely close with des
2014, rumours suggest it's a done deal and I believe them, Foran extremely close with des
2015, rumours suggest it's a done deal and I believe them, Foran extremely close with des
2016, rumours suggest the salary cap will force him to go to bulldogs coz he's close with des
2017, Foran I'm not sure with him looks like he loves it at the warriors

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon at any other club with graham running onto the ball, allowed to play at or before the line or offload through it he will be the best prop in the game.

No one has a motor like graham. But his plodder hit ups have taken away from his game.

Dude is still one of the best in the Comp as shown last week in the test match. We just don't use him as a prop and play too flat to allow him to ball play to a half.

Foran should make a difference if our game plan changes. But if we continue with a current structure even having trobijonovinv, Thurston, Cronk and Hodgson in the spine it won't help us construct tries. Just like now our tries come off the cuff or through individuals. Hit ups 10 meters out don't help set plays. Especially when the defence just needs to go back 2 meters to reset the line.

20 out the halves should be first receiver. It works for 15 other teams but we persist with front rowers.
As much as I love the big bloke, surely everyone has noticed how much slower he is this year and that has affected his ability to offload because the opposition has time to line him up. He's been a great warrior but after 400 games at the top level and hardly any injuries he's slowing down and next year he will border on a liability for us. If the Knights offer him a contract then we should do a Reynolds and wish him all the best. If they want Tolman they can have him as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.