D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We should have signed him last year, we need a tough aggressive prop

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
instead of who exactly? Lodge isn’t what we need at all
We could have got him cheaply as Brisbane were willing to pay most of his contract, which would leave as more money for spine players. Just another example of our poor recruitment and retention. Like letting Meaney go and paying more to get Dufty, He killed it at fb last night and has killed it since he left yet we signed Naden and Allen.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lodge will be a dark could over whichever team he plays for. He's a perfect example of the sort of player we don't need.
He is tough and aggressive which is exactly what you want from a prop, Our forwards couldnt bend water if they fell out of a boat

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is tough and aggressive which is exactly what you want from a prop, Our forwards couldnt bend water if they fell out of a boat
I don't disagree with you about his on field ability, and also that our current forwards are playing soft. But he's far from a standout and is just an accident waiting to happen for club harmony and team morale IMO.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you about his on field ability, and also that our current forwards are playing soft. But he's far from a standout and is just an accident waiting to happen for club harmony and team morale IMO.
He has played well this year. His stats are good.And how would you describe our clubs harmony and morale In a word other than shit?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We could have got him cheaply as Brisbane were willing to pay most of his contract, which would leave as more money for spine players. Just another example of our poor recruitment and retention. Like letting Meaney go and paying more to get Dufty, He killed it at fb last night and has killed it since he left yet we signed Naden and Allen.
Where are you getting that we could have got him cheaply? It’s been reported that the Warriors are paying out the remaining $700k of his contract in full

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Where are you getting that we could have got him cheaply? It’s been reported that the Warriors are paying out the remaining $700k of his contract in full
He was on approx 800k for his final year at the broncos, they were willing to pay approx 500k of that to whoever took him, the 700k remaining was most likely the rest of this season and up until november

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Your theory does have credit as the Kiwis have been pissed about us exporting NZ crims back home from Aus, but the bloke is a millionare and not a billionare so there is no way he would cough up $700 k if there was no need to. Either there is more to the blew or some other stinky situation that is being covered up.
There would be a need to if that's the case. The warriors can't keep their end of the contract so they would have to pay.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Matt Lodge on the drunken attack that led him to reject $2.8 million deal to re-sign with the Warriors
Matt Lodge has been silent on his departure from the Warriors — until now. He lifts the lid on claims of racism, his bust-up with Warriors owner Mark Robinson and why he rejected a mega deal.

Peter BadelPeter Badel
Follow
@badel_cmail

6 min read
May 27, 2022 - 10:31AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
11 comments
00:48
Matt Lodge runs out in amateur Rugby side
NRL: After departing the Warriors, former NRL player Matt Lodge was spotted playing amateur Rugby in Queensland.
View more related videos
Matt Lodge has opened up on his exit from the Warriors, addressing explosive racism allegations against owner Mark Robinson and revealing why he turned his back on a four-year extension worth almost $3 million.
In his only interview, Lodge told News Corp he felt the need to speak out after being emotionally rocked by rumours he quit the club in
protest at speculation Warriors supremo Robinson was racist.
Lodge launched a passionate defence of Robinson, who has vehemently denied making racist remarks, and lauded the business tycoon’s financial support for the Warriors.

However, he delivered his version of events following Robinson‘s claim the pair had a bust-up between “two alpha males” at a Brisbane pub last December.
The former Broncos prop claims he was on the receiving end of an unprovoked tirade from Robinson at a team function.
Matt Lodge’s 14-game stint at the Warriors ended in a blaze of controversy.

Matt Lodge’s 14-game stint at the Warriors ended in a blaze of controversy.
Lodge says he left the venue to avoid a full-blown confrontation and offered to meet with Robinson the next day to smoke the peace pipe, but claims the intended meeting to clear the air never eventuated.
That was a factor in Lodge’s decision to walk away from a four-year, $700,000-a-season Warriors extension, which he was poised to sign before the Robinson altercation convinced him he did not have a long-term future at the club.
“It was one of many things that led me to call time at the Warriors,” Lodge said, speaking for the first time since his hasty departure from the Warriors last week.
“I really can’t control what is said by others as it (Robinson’s attack) happened in front of people at a club team function.
“There was no argument.
“I said nothing back. I left the venue and ended up driving home.
“There was nothing ‘alpha’ about me there that night. I’ve learnt over time that gets you nowhere.
“I offered to meet the next day when Mark was sober for a man-to-man conversation. It’s how I would rather it was settled but he never got around to sitting down with me.
“I have no interest in disclosing the exact comments or details.
“Despite what some may think I have morals and values and I don’t get any joy whatsoever in making someone else’s life tough.
“I was very close to signing a four-year deal the Warriors offered me in the pre-season despite my family (former recruitment chief and Lodge’s father-in-law Peter O’Sullivan and his brother-in-law, halfback Sean O’Sullivan) leaving the club just months before.
“I was invested in the group of boys. And I was keen to go to New Zealand. I really enjoyed my time with the lads.”
Robinson vehemently denied racism allegationson Thursday and Lodge backed those sentiments, praising the Warriors owner for keeping the club alive.
“I can’t control what’s being said, but I will say I don’t think Mark Robinson is a racist man and I don’t want him called that or to be labelled racist. I just don’t,” Lodge said.
“What’s happened has happened. It is what it is. I’m over it.
Lodge says Warriors owner Mark Robinson (left) has given his heart, soul and hard-earned money to keep the Kiwi club alive.

Lodge says Warriors owner Mark Robinson (left) has given his heart, soul and hard-earned money to keep the Kiwi club alive.
“But I don’t want Mark being called racist. I always observe people and he’s definitely an inclusive man who I believe would give an opportunity to anyone who works hard for it. I have not seen him show any racism at all.
“Although we never got the chance to know each other that well, I respect what Mark does.
“He is a businessman who has decided to put his hand in his own pocket and fund a rugby league club that no doubt costs him a lot of money.
“That in itself is passion for the game. The game I love.
“And even if people don’t agree with everything, almost everyone should respect him for doing that for the Warriors.
“He would be sacrificing a lot of his own hard-earned money. He has stuck by them and kept all his staff employed even during this Covid period. He kept the club alive in a difficult period.
“I was going to just stay quiet but I thought I should speak up for him. He has a nice family himself and an awesome little son and the thought of him having to go to school when someone has read racism stuff about his dad upset me.
“It’s never nice for people reading about their family. It’s not fair and it’s a feeling I know.
“Despite everything that’s happened it just doesn’t sit well with me. Mark wouldn’t know this, but I do recognise the care he has for people and little things he does to help people off his own back. He’s a very passionate man.
Lodge says he will miss playing with his Warriors teammates.

Lodge says he will miss playing with his Warriors teammates.
“So I hope I can kill the racism speculation right now and it can be retracted for Mark and his family.”
Lodge only joined the Warriors last July after a mid-season release from the Broncos. In the space of 10 months, the 26-year-old played 14 games for the club and triggered an inferno of debate over his shock departure, including revelations he received a $700,000 payout from Robinson.
While stung by Robinson’s pub tirade, Lodge produced some outstanding form this season, including a barnstorming display in round 4 when he charged for 155 metres to inspire the Warriors’ 20-6 defeat of his former club Brisbane.
But with the Warriors due to return to New Zealand next month, he decided it was time to hit the eject button. It is understood Lodge was concerned at some other off-field incidents related to the treatment of Warriors teammates, which represented the final straw in him knocking back the four-year upgrade.
“It wasn’t a planned exit. I was supposed to play out the year at least. It all happened really fast,” he said.
“This time around, when I called time at the Warriors, I made the decision after learning from my last months with the Broncos.
“I wouldn’t let the boys know what was affecting me. I continued to buy in. I trained my hardest every session, I helped younger lads out and made time for the boys. I gave everything I could to try to get us a win every week.
Warriors Please Explain....

The Daily Telegraph NRL Podcast
Warriors Please Explain....

“I’m just somewhat happy my time ended with the club with respect from the boys because at the end of the day that’s what matters to me most. It was very tough getting in front of that group and telling them I was done.
“I don’t think I’ve ever done anything wrong by Mark or his team. I was disappointed but it’s over now and I won’t hold any grudges whatsoever for what’s happened.
“But I could no longer put my body on the line and give my best for him. As mark said it (his payout) was just a business transaction. It’s a tough game. I know I always perform well when there’s more of a connection than that.
“I really do wish the Warriors all the best and I wish I did get a chance to get over to New Zealand to play some games. I’m happy my New Zealand teammates are getting home to their family and friends.
“I‘d like to thank Mark Robinson for letting me play for his team. I believe he has purchased a very special club with lots of potential and I hope he is the man that can lead them to success.”
Just days after severing ties with the Warriors, Lodge made a shock switch of codes to play second-grade rugby union in Brisbane.
The veteran of 91 first-grade games insists he has not signed with a rival NRL club — he has been linked with Manly after buying a $2.5 million home on Sydney’s northern beaches — but is hopeful of resurrecting his career in the Telstra Premiership.
“I’m just going to step away, let all the emotion die down and get myself in a calm and rational, decision-making state,” he said.
“I want to take my time and pick the right club for me, not someone I can help, but someone who can help me.
“I haven’t ticked off some goals I’ve always wanted to.
“The next decision is so important to me. It’s been a tough couple of years mentally. I want to get this one right.
“If that takes a bit longer that’s OK ... I’ll be training regardless.”

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He’s signing with the Roosters.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That'd be even more reason to hate them.