Official Matt Frawley has left Huddersfield Giants and will return to Australia

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt Frawley has left Huddersfield Giants and will return to Australia
Huddersfield Giants 24-year-old half back Matthew Frawley has returned home to Australia to seek further playing opportunities. The former Bulldogs man made 20 appearances in 2019 scoring 3 tries.

Giants Managing Director Richard Thewlis said “With the signing of Aidan Sezer and him being earmarked to form a partnership with Lee Gaskell the opportunities for Matthew could have been very limited in 2020 which at his age and with his undoubted abilities clearly would not have been ideal for him or the Giants.

"Agreement has been reached for him to return home and continue his career there with our thanks for his year with us and very best wishes for the future. Throughout his time with us Matthew has been a role model player showing great dignity and professionalism in difficult times and we all sincerely hope that things work out well for him at his new club. We have continually said that the squad and staff here will develop and evolve as time moves on and this is the latest piece of news we are able to announce today

I hope this don't mean we have signed him even on a second tier contract after being previous being linked with him for a return

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Surely we aren’t that poorly ran. I will give them the benefit or the doubt of such a incompetent move.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely we aren’t that poorly ran. I will give them the benefit or the doubt of such a incompetent move.
We can only hope that it don't happen but I wouldn't be completely shocked if it did recruitment isnt our strong point

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Uh oh... Hopefully this doesn't mean that Wolverine is signed by us. I wouldn't even want him playing Reserves when we have better options in the lower grades.

I'd like to think that the club wouldn't bother. I hope so anyway...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Well ... he's better than either of Marschke, less injury prone than Nu Brown, and can play hooker/halves ... so I'll give Wolverine that much.

With Foran/Wakeham/Cogger/Lewis as halves, take out Foran due to injury and that still leaves 2 (playing in first grade) plus one backup in NSW Cup alongside a Marschke.

Only potential spot I can see (if he returns), is replacing one of the Marschke brothers.

Seems strange to cut his time short in ESL so quickly without something almost already lined up.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
There were days when we, as Canterbury supporters, would never contemplate a player like Frawley would be linked to us.

Now we reckon any such player would be a shoe in based on the current stature of our club :unamused:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I will not accept the signing of Frawley under any circumstance.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Frawley and all the other guys who have played in the halves here in recent times really needed a first grade halves coach.... at least now the guys have Shifty to work with

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I hope the Club are aware of these terms.
99% of us agree so you'd hope so! I couldn't stand him and was so glad we got rid. Will be a big strike towards our recruitment for me.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well ... he's better than either of Marschke, less injury prone than Nu Brown, and can play hooker/halves ... so I'll give Wolverine that much.

With Foran/Wakeham/Cogger/Lewis as halves, take out Foran due to injury and that still leaves 2 (playing in first grade) plus one backup in NSW Cup alongside a Marschke.

Only potential spot I can see (if he returns), is replacing one of the Marschke brothers.

Seems strange to cut his time short in ESL so quickly without something almost already lined up.
And..............................he's back!

Welcome back to the fold.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not wolverine.. surely not, silly move if so even with shifty back, got better options in the lower grade.!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not wolverine.. surely not, silly move if so even with shifty back, got better options in the lower grade.!!
Averilo, wakeham, lewis, cogger...frawley, goodness gracious no.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I will not accept the signing of Frawley under any circumstance.
I don’t want him either BUT what if we were given a free 350k for Foran and had to spend it immediately on bringing a half in or are there others off contract for 2020 that you’d you’d chase?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don’t want him either BUT what if we were given a free 350k for Foran and had to spend it immediately on bringing a half in or are there others off contract for 2020 that you’d you’d chase?
I mean there's nothing off contract left. Te Maire Martin (don't want) and Jai Field (haven't seen enough) are the only ones I see. Our recruitment strategy looks like recruiting players on contract either wanting out or unwanted so offer a back up at another club 350k? Lachlan Lam? Maybe not many options but Frawley is bottom of the barrel. Find someone that can play Five-Eighth/Halfback but play them in a different position?