News Matt Doorey on Eels’ radar

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Topine is a serious contender to start his first grade career in the centres and then move in to the forwards later. Much the same way Sonny Bill did. He has played junior Kangaroos in the centres . I wouldn’t even mind seeing him there this year. As things stand we seem to be a centre short . I also think Doorey is a must keep. I know we have Jackson and Elliot and RFM Stimson and Waddell. But for me RFM is more effective in the middle. Jackson will be lucky to still hold a spot and Stimson and Waddell are yet to prove their worth . Doorey looked fast and mobile in his few appearances and I liked what I saw from a guy who came in off the back of no footy this season.
Topine only shifted to centre to cover an injury in one game for the junior Roos so I wouldn’t read that much into it. He’s always played back row for his whole career. Stimson would want to put in a better showing then he did at the start of 2020 or he won’t be getting much game time.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unless they get elevated to top 30 it doesn’t really matter what Tbaz says about Doorey or Topine because they can’t play until the middle of season.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Topine is a serious contender to start his first grade career in the centres and then move in to the forwards later. Much the same way Sonny Bill did. He has played junior Kangaroos in the centres . I wouldn’t even mind seeing him there this year. As things stand we seem to be a centre short . I also think Doorey is a must keep. I know we have Jackson and Elliot and RFM Stimson and Waddell. But for me RFM is more effective in the middle. Jackson will be lucky to still hold a spot and Stimson and Waddell are yet to prove their worth . Doorey looked fast and mobile in his few appearances and I liked what I saw from a guy who came in off the back of no footy this season.
Jacko will slip down the pecking order and become a benchy, Elliot will move all over the backrow, RFM will become a middle forward and Doorey,Topine and maybe Pitavao will slip into the backrow.

Stimpson/ Britt will leave the club and Waddell was brought over as the good guy fill in who can help build a strong culture so not exacxt;ly assured a spot just a job.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jacko will slip down the pecking order and become a benchy, Elliot will move all over the backrow, RFM will become a middle forward and Doorey,Topine and maybe Pitavao will slip into the backrow.

Stimpson/ Britt will leave the club and Waddell was brought over as the good guy fill in who can help build a strong culture so not exacxt;ly assured a spot just a job.
I actually think waddell will be a bolter this year in the backrow

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I was watching some highlights from his NYC days and it legit looked like I was watching a different player. The defence was obviously shit but he doesn't move anywhere near as well as he used to. I think he will mostly be used as a middle off the bench that can cover the edge.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was watching some highlights from his NYC days and it legit looked like I was watching a different player. The defence was obviously shit but he doesn't move anywhere near as well as he used to. I think he will mostly be used as a middle off the bench that can cover the edge.

I watched him last year i think 2nd row like a shaun lane

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe this year yes but he doesn't seem like he will be a long term player... Certainly not someone we should lose out on young guns for.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe this year yes but he doesn't seem like he will be a long term player... Certainly not someone we should lose out on young guns for.
Be careful what you wish for ...I think it’s best to imagine anyone we buy will help improve the team for the better. Let’s just wait and see shall we!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
With the six again rule the game has gotten faster. A mobile pack is a good thing and footwork is the key.
Been saying it for close to 10 years now, the classic, traditional prop is a dying breed. With the speed of the games and rule changes, they will be extinct soon.

Can see having a hooker, 4 second rower types and a lock in the not too distant future.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for ...I think it’s best to imagine anyone we buy will help improve the team for the better. Let’s just wait and see shall we!
Never said he wont improve the team... My initial statement was he was a toiler that must train well, is a club man and will help Barrett set a culture. Barrett basically said the same thing yesterday in his interview so I was definitely not wrong about that.

He is a decent player, will plug many holes and looks a genuine reliable nice guy to have in the squad BUT losing out on an up and coming player let alone a junior because we want to wait and see is ridiculous.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont think doorey should be risked... sign him up for a few years. The kids got the foundations and could become one of those "why did we let him go"scenarios
The last gun backrowers the club let go were Tapau and Finucane... Even shit ones like Lane have made a career so to not fight for Doorey who is a rep junior and has shown he is ready for the big time would be Des like and that ship has sailed WE HOPE!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't understand why Doorey wasn't in our top 30 since he played NRL ahead of a few guys we've never heard of

That top 30 will change in my opinion... I wouldnt be surprised if that top 30 was made before Barrett even met the players.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That top 30 will change in my opinion... I wouldnt be surprised if that top 30 was made before Barrett even met the players.
Unless we find another club with a top 30 spot I don't think we can remove players (more money when given a top 30 spot, minimum wage)? The only way I see Doorey going in is if we were to sign 2 players instead of 3.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unless we find another club with a top 30 spot I don't think we can remove players (more money when given a top 30 spot, minimum wage)? The only way I see Doorey going in is if we were to sign 2 players instead of 3.
If we sign any at all but yes there would have to be some trades as well....Do u know the rules about changing players from top 30 to Development contract because i would definitely change Roumanos for Doorey.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we sign any at all but yes there would have to be some trades as well....Do u know the rules about changing players from top 30 to Development contract because i would definitely change Roumanos for Doorey.
The problem will be Roumonos agreeing to it. I doubt he will be happy about his salary being halved and going on a development deal.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We're sitting on too much money to not sign players for 2021 unless we're going to front load contracts of existing players.

I don't know 100% but logically thinking about it you wouldn't be able to remove a player from the top 30 unless you find a club willing to pay their wages and another top 30 spot, when you enter the top 30 you get a top 30 minimum wage. I don't think we'd be able to change Roumanos for Doorey.