News Matt Doorey on Eels’ radar

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he's good too just we have Elliott, Jackson, RFM, Waddell, Stimson, Topine to name a handful of second rowers/locks. Almost all of them are contracted for at least 2 years too.
Doorey for Stimson... Not hard to offload players.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Doorey for Stimson... Not hard to offload players.
I think it's between Topine and Doorey for a potential second row starting position in the future (mid next year or 2022). I see Stimson and Waddell as our benchies for two to three years. I'm backing Topine at this stage and I don't think Doorey would be happy with a 20-30 minute bench role at his age. If he has potential he'll get offers from rivals.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The club talked about junior development and pathways. I’d be very disappointed to see him go elsewhere.
When we re-signed Elliott (I would of done the same) and signed Waddell I think his fate was decided but we'll see over the next year. I'd like to keep everyone (that's good) :D .

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It shouldn't take a lot to lock them both up for a couple of years.
Promote one of them to the top 30, Doorey most likely with 1st grade experience, upgrade Topine to the top 30 next year while keeping him on the development contract this year.
Promote Schoupp or another junior to the development list once Doorey moves to the top 30

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The club talked about junior development and pathways. I’d be very disappointed to see him go elsewhere.
We bought him from Parra at 18, hardly a junior. I thought his debut was okay but next 2 games were ordinary. Jury still out as to whether he will make it.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When we re-signed Elliott (I would of done the same) and signed Waddell I think his fate was decided but we'll see over the next year. I'd like to keep everyone (that's good) :D .
A lot of players are off contract anway this year. Britt and Napa are two of the lot that won't be kept. Doorey would take one of there spots.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We bought him from Parra at 18, hardly a junior. I thought his debut was okay but next 2 games were ordinary. Jury still out as to whether he will make it.
I didn’t realise he came from Parra. I’d still like to think if we saw potential and invested time and effort into him that he’s retained (if Barrett wants to of course). I haven’t seen him play in the juniors but I wouldn’t judge him off a few games in a very ordinary 2020 side especially when there was no ccup.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I suppose it’s a good problem to have if we end up with a lot of decent players in the forwards, it’s not something we’ve experienced for a while (losing players that other clubs have really wanted).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
A lot of players are off contract anway this year. Britt and Napa are two of the lot that won't be kept. Doorey would take one of there spots.
I'm sure we can offer him a top 30 spot and he should of already been given that next year imo but I'm talking more about where he'll play/game time. Britt (imo) and Napa are both props.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's between Topine and Doorey for a potential second row starting position in the future (mid next year or 2022). I see Stimson and Waddell as our benchies for two to three years. I'm backing Topine at this stage and I don't think Doorey would be happy with a 20-30 minute bench role at his age. If he has potential he'll get offers from rivals.
So what club can risk giving him 8o mins. Hes only playing 30 to 40 min tops next season no matter which club he goes to.
So stop talking shit.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So what club can risk giving him 8o mins. Hes only playing 30 to 40 min tops next season no matter which club he goes to.
So stop talking shit.
I'm talking about 2022. If he doesn't get an offer that's a more involved role than he'll stay but he's not as good as we think if so. It's between him and Topine, whoever goes better, I'm backing Topine but it's good competition. I'm not talking shit, just my opinion.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Topine is a serious contender to start his first grade career in the centres and then move in to the forwards later. Much the same way Sonny Bill did. He has played junior Kangaroos in the centres . I wouldn’t even mind seeing him there this year. As things stand we seem to be a centre short . I also think Doorey is a must keep. I know we have Jackson and Elliot and RFM Stimson and Waddell. But for me RFM is more effective in the middle. Jackson will be lucky to still hold a spot and Stimson and Waddell are yet to prove their worth . Doorey looked fast and mobile in his few appearances and I liked what I saw from a guy who came in off the back of no footy this season.