News Matt Doorey on Eels’ radar

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Canterbury Bulldogs have moved to fend off interest from western Sydney rival Parramatta in boom forward Matt Doorey.

Doorey made his NRL debut in round 14 this year for the Bulldogs under interim coach Steve Georgallis and played five games before suffering a season-ending PCL injury.

The impressive youngster has caught the attention of the Eels, who are set to make a play for the Australian Schoolboy and NSW under-20s representative.

Doorey has one more year left on his development contract at Belmore but the Eels are looking at adding the talented Cabramatta junior to their roster in 2022.

Also at Canterbury, it’s believed Benji Marshall has been discussed as an option for next season if the club does not land Penrith playmaker Matt Burton for 2021.

The Bulldogs have offered Burton a two-year deal from season 2022 worth around $800,000 but are hoping the Panthers will release him from the final year of his deal at the foot of the mountains.

If that scenario does not eventuate, it’s believed Marshall will be explored as an option in season 2021 in a bid to add depth and experience in the halves stocks.

Veteran playmaker Blake Green had been signed on a one-year deal for next season but will now stay in Newcastle.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think Doorey's going to have to be sacrificed (I do rate the kid tho, mini Elliott). We have Jackson and Elliott who are almost guaranteed to be in the second row/lock. RFM was almost the player of the season at second row this year and even if we were to move him into the front row or off the bench we have Topine coming through as well. I don't think Doorey's going to be happy playing 20-30 minutes off the bench (and we have Stimson and Waddell too). I just think we're stacked in the second row/lock positions.

Please don't sign Benji.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Doorey's going to have to be sacrificed (I do rate the kid tho, mini Elliott). We have Jackson and Elliott who are almost guaranteed to be in the second row/lock. RFM was almost the player of the season at second row this year and even if we were to move him into the front row or off the bench we have Topine coming through as well. I don't think Doorey's going to be happy playing 20-30 minutes off the bench (and we have Stimson and Waddell too). I just think we're stacked in the second row/lock positions.

Please don't sign Benji.
Topine no guarantee to get to first grade. I reckon he just trains hard and is a good bloke. He’s so small

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Topine no guarantee to get to first grade. I reckon he just trains hard and is a good bloke. He’s so small
Keep waiting and hoping he has a growth spurt but it hasn’t happened and it’s looking more like it won’t happen now.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What's the worry about Jackson's size? I don't think he's that much smaller than someone like Murray? Still 19/20 so it's not like he's career is disappearing lol.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What's the worry about Jackson's size? I don't think he's that much smaller than someone like Murray? Still 19/20 so it's not like he's career is disappearing lol.
Was thinking the exact same.. somebody obviously missed the fact smaller more agile locks are the go to these days.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Going off the weights online Topine has 5kg on Murray! I guess you just naturally assume someone his age would be getting bigger but to the eye he hasn’t really changed that much in that last 18 months.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Going off the weights online Topine has 5kg on Murray! I guess you just naturally assume someone his age would be getting bigger but to the eye he hasn’t really changed that much in that last 18 months.
Wait, what? Lol. I'd have Topine like low 90's absolute max, what is Murray listed as then?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wait, what? Lol. I'd have Topine like low 90's absolute max, what is Murray listed as then?
Topine is 95kgs and Murray 90kgs. I think they are going light with Murray.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember Josh Jackson when he first started out with us and he was 92kgs. Topine will be fine.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Please don't sign Benji.
The Canterbury Bulldogs have moved to fend off interest from western Sydney rival Parramatta in boom forward Matt Doorey.

Doorey made his NRL debut in round 14 this year for the Bulldogs under interim coach Steve Georgallis and played five games before suffering a season-ending PCL injury.

The impressive youngster has caught the attention of the Eels, who are set to make a play for the Australian Schoolboy and NSW under-20s representative.

Doorey has one more year left on his development contract at Belmore but the Eels are looking at adding the talented Cabramatta junior to their roster in 2022.

Also at Canterbury, it’s believed Benji Marshall has been discussed as an option for next season if the club does not land Penrith playmaker Matt Burton for 2021.

The Bulldogs have offered Burton a two-year deal from season 2022 worth around $800,000 but are hoping the Panthers will release him from the final year of his deal at the foot of the mountains.

If that scenario does not eventuate, it’s believed Marshall will be explored as an option in season 2021 in a bid to add depth and experience in the halves stocks.

Veteran playmaker Blake Green had been signed on a one-year deal for next season but will now stay in Newcastle.

Doorey played for junior NSW and Kangaroos.
Havn't seen him play except his fg debut which I can't really remember. But he must be okay and everyone on here seems to think so.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Doorey played for junior NSW and Kangaroos.
Havn't seen him play except his fg debut which I can't really remember. But he must be okay and everyone on here seems to think so.
I think he's good too just we have Elliott, Jackson, RFM, Waddell, Stimson, Topine to name a handful of second rowers/locks. Almost all of them are contracted for at least 2 years too.