News Matt Cecchin returns to the NRL as a referee.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...9/news-story/ea22a316244d9c72173b6a1bbc9602d4

Top whistle blower Matt Cecchin will return to the NRL, lured back by the change in the refereeing directive to be implemented in season 2019.

After 20 years, Cecchin walked away from his post feeling burdened by the barrage of criticism and disillusioned by the way the game was being officiated under the guidance of former referees boss Tony Archer.

But the NRL’s new head of elite football operations Graham Annesley is promising a change in the refereeing philosophy for 2019, whereby referees will be granted a license to adjudicate based on flow of a match.

Cecchin believes the new mandate is perfectly suited to the way he likes to officiate.

“From the discussions I’ve had with squad members there is a definite shift in the way we are going to officiate this year,” he said.

“It’s not secret that style of refereeing suits my naturally game.

“There was the change required by me last year to officiate in a way that wasn’t natural to me, that wasn’t part of my natural game.

“It was important for me to referee the same way all the other squad members did. It would have been easy for me to be the outlier and say ‘bugger you, I’m going to keep doing what I have always done’.

“But that’s not fair on the other referees or the players or the teams that require a consistent approach.

“It took a great deal of pleasure in being able to change but it still took a big chunk of enjoyment out of the way I referee.”

In August last year, Cecchin revealed the emotional toll of receiving death threats following the decisive call he made in the England versus Tonga during the 2017 World Cup.

At the time, he said the aftermath had forced his decision to quit the NRL.

Despite calling time on his NRL career, Cecchin wasn’t ready to put away the whistle and he agreed to join the Super League on a two-year deal.

But his visa application was denied on two separate occasions due to a quirk in U.K. legislation that doesn’t recognise referees as sporting professionals.

Cecchin was supposed to be in England by January 7 but the protracted nature of his visa troubles required them to fill his spot immediately since the Super League season was now already underway.

“We did the paperwork, we got the dog immunised and we started selling the furniture but I could rejected from the UK government,” he revealed.

“Because referees and officials don’t have a classification under their professional sports act.

“The UK had never imported officials or referees in the same way they do players, coaches and conditioning staff. That shocked everyone and disappointed everyone.”

The NRL is yet to determine the exact date Cecchin, who has refereed 326 games of rugby league, will return.

But the veteran referee says he’s ready for round one and is waiting for the call-up.

“I’ll leave that up to the NRL. I’ve been doing, running and swimming. I didn’t want to get to England under done. What I have missed out on is the preseason work and effort that the squad has done in the NRL,” he said.

“I haven’t been privy to a lot of meetings. I have no trial matches, so there is no expectation for me to be there round one but physically I think I’m ready.”

Good news for the game as he's often quite fair.

Welcome back to the game Cecchin!...

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to have him back, but that U.K. visa anomaly is a bloody farce.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Happy to have him back.. one that has less biased than most!!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Top whistle blower Matt Cecchin...

Tehe.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good to see him back, easily the best Ref over the last few years.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have a 60.61% win rate with Cecchin, only behind the Storm and Roosters.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good to see him back, easily the best Ref over the last few years.
Yeah, I think he was decent. Giving a referee death threats is just ridiculous (not to mention fucking cowardly).

I always rated him and the badge.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
referees will be granted a license to adjudicate based on flow of a match.
How will Mr Sutton be able to adjust to this I wonder?

Flow of a match? Does this mean that if a referee is shafting a team with multiple penalties and they are on the back foot, much like we saw in certain games last year that that is a true indication of the flow of the game?

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How will Mr Sutton be able to adjust to this I wonder?

Flow of a match? Does this mean that if a referee is shafting a team with multiple penalties and they are on the back foot, much like we saw in certain games last year that that is a true indication of the flow of the game?

* Disclaimer the flow is determined by the amount of money bet for or against a team