Matt Burton's kicking game

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't help but feel that some grub will be scouring Burto's 'dogs contract looking for a way to have him somehow reneg and play on with the Panthers into the future (promising him a starting spot somewhere).

Paranoid? You fucking bet!
If the Panthers don't stop him from coming to us uncle Nick will, (doubly Paranoid).

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He would be pretty close to being the biggest 5/8 in the game wouldn’t he? He’s a brick shithouse for a half but still has pace and agility.
Definitely one of the tallest - I think he's listed at 6'3"-4".

Other than that one pass he pushed that Melbourne intercepted, and going for a long kick on 2nd during a 7 tackle restart (Which at the moment I thought - WTF - but then the Panthers forced a knock-on in defence, so I went back to armchair coaching :laughing:), he had pretty much a perfect game for mine - against Melbourne and not knowing until ~48 hours before that he was even going to be playing in the contest.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I see Baa in him (a huge compliment)
Not the finished package like Baa but the influence he has on the game.
Stands up and makes the plays come to him.
He will have a huge influence confidence wise over our guys all around the field.

With JAC and a few others mentioned, we can have a gameplan to compliment his talent.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He just moves around like a true footballer.
Just his body language alone you can see he's very well aware what's happening on the field, always ready for the next play, gets into position well, slots straight into 5/8 with the FG team like he's played in FG for years. He's very athletic and strong.
For a 21 year old it's insane.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just his body language alone you can see he's very well aware what's happening on the field, always ready for the next play, gets into position well, slots straight into 5/8 with the FG team like he's played in FG for years. He's very athletic and strong.
Yh, for Penrith. Won't be the same for a bottom table side like us lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And makes it even more obvious now that we have to clean out mediocre players and improve the roster, get in players who are gonna contribute to riding this wave because this guy is gonna be gold.

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton will compliment us with his massive kicking game because when we 9/10 sets only make 20m in 5 tackles he can then kick it 60-70m and have the opposition play on their own goal line. LOL.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb here...
If Matt can stay healthy, I believe he could potentially be our best buy since Terry Lamb.

Wow, I'm excited.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yup and was reading the playbook in the sheds while To'o and co were fucking around haha

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yh, for Penrith. Won't be the same for a bottom table side like us lol
That's why it's probably a good thing he doesn't play for us until 2022 so we get our shit in order.
I'm sure we'll be a different side next year, a lot of deadwood will be given the flick and we got heaps to spend.
A couple of quality forwards, and a 9 should do the trick mate. The back line is pretty much settled next year with the likes of Flanno, Burton, Cotric, Allen, JAC...probably missing a strike center.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
at least being in penrith still he can pick nathan clearys brain for another season. also, i’m pretty sure i looked like the front of luna park when he hit that first kick. what a weapon

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
at least being in penrith still he can pick nathan clearys brain for another season. also, i’m pretty sure i looked like the front of luna park when he hit that first kick. what a weapon
It's the low and long kicks that impress me the most. So hard to hit them low and long. His technique is sublime.
As I said just looks like a true footballer

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope that fires a rocket up Avo's arse and he picks up his game....

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am watching it for Burton mainly..
But also studying JAC and Smith..
We have a current superstar in JAC coming..
A future superstar in Burton coming..
Smoke signals regarding Smith,who is all Bulldog from what I have seen..
We are building a team for the next 3-5yrs.
Get Taupau back home and have a crack at Bunty..
See if Sebastian Kris feels impeded at the Raiders..
That’s a team that would make waves ⚪
I like that list, but just keep in mind that any such list on paper is still a list of individuals. The real key is in the word "team", and it feels like often we are really quick to make lists of individuals and then assume that they can make a team. This can't truly be assumed, and right now our number one problem is that we aren't seeing a true team in the performances so far.

Hopefully Barrett et al can fix that given enough time.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Now all we need to do is bring in Pat Richards to teach him how to do torpedo kick offs and Burton will become a kennel immortal :p

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hope that fires a rocket up Avo's arse and he picks up his game....
It's a confidence thing with him I think. He seems scared. He's really got to back himself, demand the ball and run more, put little grubbers through for himself as he's got the pace. Not saying he should move away from the game plan, but he should try things a couple of times in a game. Needs to get more involved.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's why it's probably a good thing he doesn't play for us until 2022 so we get our shit in order.
I'm sure we'll be a different side next year, a lot of deadwood will be given the flick and we got heaps to spend.
A couple of quality forwards, and a 9 should do the trick mate. The back line is pretty much settled next year with the likes of Flanno, Burton, Cotric, Allen, JAC...probably missing a strike center.
You would like to think so but after this season's start it's a little hard. Hopefully we go after the right players and learn to play effectively as a unit.