Opinion Matt Burton

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
IMHO It's up to him, if he kick's enough stones, eventually Cleary "might" realise that he's causing more problems than he's worth to the team.
Mind you, giving Averillo a full year at 5/8, should strengthen our club long term.
If Covid happens to restrict any reserve grade I'd say we'd get Burton quick as... Imagine a coach stopping a kid from playing footy for a year when it's not necessary.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
How many games due you lose players for now over origin with the new scheduling?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
the ball's in Burton's court. It's 100% up to him to show that it'll be detremental to Penrith to keep him. It's as simple as that. If he wants to leave early then he needs to play the game and demonstrate to the Panthers that it's worse for them to keep him.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the ball's in Burton's court. It's 100% up to him to show that it'll be detremental to Penrith to keep him. It's as simple as that. If he wants to leave early then he needs to play the game and demonstrate to the Panthers that it's worse for them to keep him.
Balls in Ivan’s court. A young professional kid like Burto isn’t going to burn a bridge. He will do what he is told and put his best foot forward this season with the panthers. I just hope he continues to develop and get first grade time and doesn’t go backwards.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I hope common sense prevails. He doesnt want to Be there.

Clearly it’s not in his or the Panthers interest really.

It’s more if burton kicks up or panthers get over themselves and stop talking bs. No issues kicking mansour to the curb when he’s been loyal for a decade,
Or buttfucking the tigers with Cleary.

Only reason is they are butthurt he’s a gooden on the way out and they know it will be egg in their face. Not to mention Barrett being here etc.

As others said fuck them go hard at Crichton capewell fisher Harris etf

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not going to happen. Why would any rival club do us a favour or help a player leaving them.
the Rabbits released Allan from the final year of his contract to join us even though he featured for them last year with Latrell Mitchell out and they too would harbour premiership ambitions

it is not like for like considering different positions and different pay packets between what Allan and Burton were to earn in 2021 but I think the Rabbits approach shows good will whereas unless the Panthers win it all in 2021 (something I hope The Lord Almighty prevents) and Burton is a part of it, then failing to release him is a negative to his career, development and financial well being

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Positive thinking,but unlikely to happen,Cleary did an interview on SEN last week,and according to him ,he feels he can develop into a better all round player,by staying at Penrith,&will be using him more of a utility,lock,2nd row,halves cover, so I don’t think we will be seeing him ,till 2022.
Maybe that's what he said......but what's the point in developing a player that id going to another club next year.....it is not helping the Panthers in any way..........it is also very doubtful that Cleary could develop any players quite frankly.......

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
the Rabbits released Allan from the final year of his contract to join us even though he featured for them last year with Latrell Mitchell out and they too would harbour premiership ambitions

it is not like for like considering different positions and different pay packets between what Allan and Burton were to earn in 2021 but I think the Rabbits approach shows good will whereas unless the Panthers win it all in 2021 (something I hope The Lord Almighty prevents) and Burton is a part of it, then failing to release him is a negative to his career, development and financial well being
I seriously don't get what's so hard to understand. Burton is on minimum wage, Allan was not. Panthers get NOTHING by releasing Burton, so as long as he's not kicking up and stink and makes it clear he doesn't want to be there then they will keep him while they're still in a Premiership window. Souths on the other hand did get an advantage by releasing Allan and were able to sign Mansour and strengthen their backline (what Wayne believes).

All you cunts sound like entitled kids. Yes, it would be great to have Burton ASAP. Yes, Ivan is a fucking cunt. But in the end it doesn't matter because Burton has a contract and is some of the best depth in the game. If we were Penrith then i'd be filthy if we released him.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
If Covid happens to restrict any reserve grade I'd say we'd get Burton quick as... Imagine a coach stopping a kid from playing footy for a year when it's not necessary.
It won't cause the NRL will ensure the players get vaccinated as soon as possible. Before you and me will get any shots.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
If we want Burton this season we need to dangle the carrot....we can offer Lewis in exchange!
I think we can pay the difference in the meantime. Well just for this year. Next year it's on them.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I seriously don't get what's so hard to understand. Burton is on minimum wage, Allan was not. Panthers get NOTHING by releasing Burton, so as long as he's not kicking up and stink and makes it clear he doesn't want to be there then they will keep him while they're still in a Premiership window. Souths on the other hand did get an advantage by releasing Allan and were able to sign Mansour and strengthen their backline (what Wayne believes).

All you cunts sound like entitled kids. Yes, it would be great to have Burton ASAP. Yes, Ivan is a fucking cunt. But in the end it doesn't matter because Burton has a contract and is some of the best depth in the game. If we were Penrith then i'd be filthy if we released him.
Hit the nail on the head. I have no idea why anyone on here thinks Penrith will do us a favour? Of course Ivan is being selfish because he wants to keep a player that he might have to use during the season and if he doesn't it's not any skin off his nose.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Can someone explain why Souths would let 22yo Allen go on prob $300k? who plays a few positions in their backline for 30yo Mansour 450k? who is a winger only?
I'd assume that Penrith is throwing in some of the freight. And Wayne is know for allowing youngsters to leave clubs if he knows they won't get a proper opportunity at the club he is coaching. Roberts at the Titans is a perfect example.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Balls in Ivan’s court. A young professional kid like Burto isn’t going to burn a bridge. He will do what he is told and put his best foot forward this season with the panthers. I just hope he continues to develop and get first grade time and doesn’t go backwards.
Mate. Many a 'young professional' has burnt bridges to get their big move. Too many to count.

It's entirely up to Burton to push this through. The fact he hasn't yet though says that he won't.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m ok if we don’t get Burton this year. As others have said it gives averillo an opportunity to develop his game as a 5/8 in first grade and I’d like to see the kid have a good shot at this this year. As for Burton as long as Cleary plays him this year in first grade that will be good for his game too and he gets to continue playing in a team with a winning culture that will likely challenge for the premiership this year. He’ll be stronger and better for it when he comes over next year.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton obviously wants to come early so it's up to his manager to do his fucking job and start throwing a hissy fit. There are lots of examples of players in his situation who managed to get an early release. Take a leaf out of Klemmer's book

Clearly talking about keeping Burton because it will help him develop his game is just laughable. Talk about the massive ego on that prick. He's done jackshit in his career but now he's supposedly a master coach. Fuck off c***

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can someone explain why Souths would let 22yo Allen go on prob $300k? who plays a few positions in their backline for 30yo Mansour 450k? who is a winger only?
I’m scratching my head with this one too. But I also couldn’t understand why at one stage last year they were prepared to let Alex Johnstone go.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m ok if we don’t get Burton this year. As others have said it gives averillo an opportunity to develop his game as a 5/8 in first grade and I’d like to see the kid have a good shot at this this year. As for Burton as long as Cleary plays him this year in first grade that will be good for his game too and he gets to continue playing in a team with a winning culture that will likely challenge for the premiership this year. He’ll be stronger and better for it when he comes over next year.
That's on the assumption that Avo gets the 6 jersey. The fear is that Avo plays FB in CC and Lewis is the 6.
Also, with Burton, it's most likely he'll spend the year playing CC with only a few games in the halves during the origin period
Those 2 scenarios don't help us or Burton