* they signed back up half

* what a bunch of pricks they would be to deny MB a huge payday for 21

* what a f.....g hypocrite cleary would be to oppose

that's my theory anyway
They don’t need cap space for chrichton. We signed him too

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They won't let him go, I think Cleary wants him there to take the pressure off Nathan Cleary. He can play in the halves when others are injured and the better they play the less pressure for the team, If this makes any sense?nope

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Positive thinking,but unlikely to happen,Cleary did an interview on SEN last week,and according to him ,he feels he can develop into a better all round player,by staying at Penrith,&will be using him more of a utility,lock,2nd row,halves cover, so I don’t think we will be seeing him ,till 2022.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Positive thinking,but unlikely to happen,Cleary did an interview on SEN last week,and according to him ,he feels he can develop into a better all round player,by staying at Penrith,&will be using him more of a utility,lock,2nd row,halves cover, so I don’t think we will be seeing him ,till 2022.
Ivan being very very selfish holding the kid back!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not going to happen. Why would any rival club do us a favour or help a player leaving them.

MirandaDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cowboys didn’t release Ponga to Newcastle. Kept him in reserves most of the year in 17. Won’t happen

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More like he will use that time to.get into Burton's head about reneging on the bulldogs deal.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s possible both cleary and luai could both play origin, cover for origin and injuries, im guessing also they dont expect naden to play in the centres anymore.

KoolDavid

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The longer this drags on I feel Burton won’t be coming this year. I can’t blame Panthers to be honest as if we were in their shoes we wouldn’t be releasing a gun player unless the player causes some issues.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we were in Penriths position I wouldn’t want us to release our gun backup half either. Call it what you want but there premiership window is open rn and they need all hands on deck.
I agree with this even though it's unfortunate from our perspective. With contracts being signed a full year in advance now it's going to become more common for players to seek early exits when they can earn better money and jump into NRL contention by moving. I think this situation of clubs withholding a release is going to become par for the course. This in my opinion is the biggest issue with the new contract system. No doubt it will piss plenty of players off to have a road block thrown in the way of progressing to the NRL. But quality depth in crucial positions where there is limited back up can make a big difference in a premiership campaign. If I was running a club I'd probably not want to release a potentially important player under these circumstances. For what it's worth I think the ideal solution for both parties would be something like the loan system with some stipulations in place. without having given a lot of thought to it I'd implement some rules as follows.
1) Player can be recalled only if nominated players ahead of them in the pecking order go down.
2) Player can only be recalled if they're going directly into a starting position.
3) The club loaning out the player can't recall the player ahead of a clash where they'll be in the opposition line up for a competitive advantage.
4) If the loaned player had been in the top 17 for the bulk of the season it would become a year long deal regardless of if those ahead of them at the home club went down.

It does look a bit unfair for us and Burton. He was rated as their second choice of depth halves last season. But quality halves are a valuable commodity in the NRL. If we had two good reserve halves I'd want to hold onto them in the event that we had two injuries.

But I don't think what Cleary has said in regards to this whole situation is quite right. I think Burtons performance in his NRL games showed that he's ready to step up. Playing in reserve grade won't advance his game a lot.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I believe the Mansour signing will be the catalyst for MB early release:

* frees cap space to allow penrith to keep Steven Crichton long term

* we have made offer for SC, until he is resigned no favours for us or Burton

* they signed back up half

* what a bunch of pricks they would be to deny MB a huge payday for 21

* what a f.....g hypocrite cleary would be to oppose

that's my theory anyway
The cap space thing doesn’t add up, releasing Mansour makes it easier for them to keep Burton, but definitely they will be making sure that they don’t release Burton early plus we end up signing Crichton