Opinion Matt Burton

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain why Souths would let 22yo Allen go on prob $300k? who plays a few positions in their backline for 30yo Mansour 450k? who is a winger only?
Great question

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seriously don't get what's so hard to understand. Burton is on minimum wage, Allan was not. Panthers get NOTHING by releasing Burton, so as long as he's not kicking up and stink and makes it clear he doesn't want to be there then they will keep him while they're still in a Premiership window. Souths on the other hand did get an advantage by releasing Allan and were able to sign Mansour and strengthen their backline (what Wayne believes).

All you cunts sound like entitled kids. Yes, it would be great to have Burton ASAP. Yes, Ivan is a fucking cunt. But in the end it doesn't matter because Burton has a contract and is some of the best depth in the game. If we were Penrith then i'd be filthy if we released him.
i conceded it was not like for like and specifically noted different pay packets... moreover, i have previously stated that Penrith should keep him... i was simply noting that clubs will release players early even if it is not in their interests

and a f*%# you too

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hit the nail on the head. I have no idea why anyone on here thinks Penrith will do us a favour? Of course Ivan is being selfish because he wants to keep a player that he might have to use during the season and if he doesn't it's not any skin off his nose.
10000%

Also to add how about the drop kicks saying lets let JAC train with us when he's in Sydney. Yeah no conflict of interest or insurance concerns there..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m ok if we don’t get Burton this year. As others have said it gives averillo an opportunity to develop his game as a 5/8 in first grade and I’d like to see the kid have a good shot at this this year. As for Burton as long as Cleary plays him this year in first grade that will be good for his game too and he gets to continue playing in a team with a winning culture that will likely challenge for the premiership this year. He’ll be stronger and better for it when he comes over next year.
He is currently the back up for the back up halves, even at SOO time he is not guaranteed a run. Cleary has no reason to promote him as he is leaving in 9 months anyway, so better to blood someone who you are going to keep. Barrett isn't the attack coach at Penrith any more which was, according to many, the major reason for their drastically improved results. Spending another year at Penrith playing NSW Cup without Barrett won't make him any better than he would be if he left before the season starts. Plus of course there is time wasted not training and not playing with the team and the coaching staff that he will be for the next 3 years.

Go Dogs

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Simple answer why south’s did. They see mansour a better WINGER. I agree.

Allan was pretty crap at wing. He was very solid at fullback.

Mansour is at best a beast at wing.

Latrell was always the fullback option.

In essence Rabbitohs are stronger with mansour at wing than Allan.

However if latrell is down they suffer though Johnston is still serviceable cover.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
10000%

Also to add how about the drop kicks saying lets let JAC train with us when he's in Sydney. Yeah no conflict of interest or insurance concerns there..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA
If the shoe was on the other foot I bet no one here would want to release a Bulldog to another club for the good of his development to the disadvantage of the Bulldogs.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
We always release and bend over think that’s why we say it.

Hannant, barba, Klemmer list goes on

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Positive thinking,but unlikely to happen,Cleary did an interview on SEN last week,and according to him ,he feels he can develop into a better all round player,by staying at Penrith,&will be using him more of a utility,lock,2nd row,halves cover, so I don’t think we will be seeing him ,till 2022.
I don’t get Cleary saying it’s better for Burton to stay for his development. What a load of shit. What, develop him further so he thrives better at another club the year after?
He is third in line for five eighth or wants him as backup in other positions. They would be better off bringing up other prospects in a backup roll. Unless they are going to use the next 12 months to change his mind about leaving.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe that's what he said......but what's the point in developing a player that id going to another club next year.....it is not helping the Panthers in any way..........it is also very doubtful that Cleary could develop any players quite frankly.......
I agree with your comments,but unfortunately he has differing views,

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t get Cleary saying it’s better for Burton to stay for his development. What a load of shit. What, develop him further so he thrives better at another club the year after?
He is third in line for five eighth or wants him as backup in other positions. They would be better off bringing up other prospects in a backup roll. Unless they are going to use the next 12 months to change his mind about leaving.
The only positive thing I can think of is so he learns more of who is there as our halves are very inexperienced. Alot of the players say Ciraldo is very influential. Cleary has played quite a few games now, but In saying this Luai and May are fairly inexperienced too but very talented.

Im hoping they find a way to squeeze him in the team and give him as much game time so he doesnt spend 21 in NSW Cup (in whatever format that is with Corona)

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I seriously don't get what's so hard to understand. Burton is on minimum wage, Allan was not. Panthers get NOTHING by releasing Burton, so as long as he's not kicking up and stink and makes it clear he doesn't want to be there then they will keep him while they're still in a Premiership window.
There are 2 things that Penrith would gain from releasing Burton, the minor one, it shows that they have respect for the their players and reward them for their time there. They have burnt it somewhat with their treatment of Mansour and Burton is just another example of their demonstrable distain for their players. It will come back to bight them, eventually. Player managers, chasing bigger commissions, will be all over it for a start, "Penrith don't respect your loyalty, so fark 'em".

The major one, if they released Burton then they could promote one of their worthy "juniors" to a full NRL contract, in the 30. Which, according to them, they have plenty to chose from. That in turn may result in them keeping whoever he is, plus being able to promote someone else into their position, be it Development or NSWRL contract. They could in fact retain 2 players that they may have otherwise lost.

The second is one of the reasons why Bennett has so much respect from the players he has coached, he has a level of respect for them that they return. That's not to say he won't burn them if it's absolutely necessary, but in this case I'm sure Bennett would have released Burton as soon as he signed with us.

My point of attack would be to approach the Penrith NSW CUP halves, one of whom is going to be screwed by Burton staying and sow the seed of discontent "your path is being blocked by them needlessly keeping Burton, time to move on to where players are respected".

Go Dogs

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The only positive thing I can think of is so he learns more of who is there as our halves are very inexperienced. Alot of the players say Ciraldo is very influential. Cleary has played quite a few games now, but In saying this Luai and May are fairly inexperienced too but very talented.

Im hoping they find a way to squeeze him in the team and give him as much game time so he doesnt spend 21 in NSW Cup (in whatever format that is with Corona)
Maybe Burton's manager, and Matt, will start agitating a few months into the season if he doesn't get that FG development of being around Ivan that Ivan has promised :grinning:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton obviously wants to come early so it's up to his manager to do his fucking job and start throwing a hissy fit. There are lots of examples of players in his situation who managed to get an early release. Take a leaf out of Klemmer's book

Clearly talking about keeping Burton because it will help him develop his game is just laughable. Talk about the massive ego on that prick. He's done jackshit in his career but now he's supposedly a master coach. Fuck off c***
As much as I would like Burton here this year. I still value players that have integrity. I look at the reported behaviour of Barba, SBW and Klemmer for us as dog moves since they crapped on the club, team mates and fans to do what was best for themselves. If Burton is a long term part of our side I'd like to know that he's a good person as well as player.

fro

Waterboy
Reaction score
As much as I would like Burton here this year. I still value players that have integrity. I look at the reported behaviour of Barba, SBW and Klemmer for us as dog moves since they crapped on the club, team mates and fans to do what was best for themselves. If Burton is a long term part of our side I'd like to know that he's a good person as well as player.
All well and good saying this , it’s just difficult to swallow when Cleary himself just walked away from a deal he had with West’s to go to Penrith. Is a matter of what I say NOT what I do. As others have said Cleary is just being a fuckwit c...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All well and good saying this , it’s just difficult to swallow when Cleary himself just walked away from a deal he had with West’s to go to Penrith. Is a matter of what I say NOT what I do. As others have said Cleary is just being a fuckwit c...
That just makes Cleary an asshat. I agree with your sentiment. But if Burton learns to habitually kick stones and act like a bitch whenever an enticing offer is put in front of him, would you want him to have a breakout season here this year then behave like a bitch if another team offered him a 200-300k more next year? Personally I'll take a player with integrity over a few talented players that are selfish *****.