No Source Matt Burton

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
actually we can approach any contracted player at anytime but we cant have them sign a contract until November.... which I reckon is wrong but i remember it being explained when newcastle were chasing klemmer
Brisbane have apparently made it public they want C Smith and Bellamy as a package. No ones complained about that approach.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luai is going okay but I reckon Burton is the better player...
Apparently Luai is best mates with Cleary and they played junior footy together so picking Luai ahead of Burton is more about his combination with Cleary

Burton is the odd one out as Cleary, Luai and May are all close mates so Burton is the 4th wheel in that halves combo. You'd imagine he'd be close to Staines since they played together in all those gun Panthers sides so if we get Burton, maybe Staines will follow him, especially with Barrett as coach

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see which of these young panthers players love being coached by tb and wanna follow him ,can only hope burton/staines/hetho

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blore is already at the Tigers. He's played the last two games as a bench second rower.
No Shawn Blore is at the Tigers and plays second row. Dean is his brother still at the Panthers who plays in the halves

Malla

Reaction score
Good signs for us that Daine Laurie is getting a crack - might mean that Burton is on his way out or they as resigned to the fact Burton will be gone.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I hope that's full of shit. It wouldn't make sense at all for Burton. He has nowhere to play for the foreseeable future and he'd be costing himself a tonne of money.
there was a quote he was advised to stay at penrith, penrith are building towards a premiership we are years away from that. If he has mates there and he enjoys the system, he will stay for less money to be part of a premiership winning squad.
in saying that, i hope he comes to us

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
there was a quote he was advised to stay at penrith, penrith are building towards a premiership we are years away from that. If he has mates there and he enjoys the system, he will stay for less money to be part of a premiership winning squad.
in saying that, i hope he comes to us
But at what cost though? He won't get to play as Luai is playing really well and still young. Plus other clubs would offer Burton way more money to leave.

Wouldn't he rather play FG every week and earn more than twice as much than be a squad player at Penrith? Plus he'd get to link up with Barrett again.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But at what cost though? He won't get to play as Luai is playing really well and still young. Plus other clubs would offer Burton way more money to leave.

Wouldn't he rather play FG every week and earn more than twice as much than be a squad player at Penrith? Plus he'd get to link up with Barrett again.
Pretty sure anybody would move to a team where they are guaranteed a starting spot and more money. Who wants to not play footy for less??

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

i can both sides to the argument, sometime the grass isnt greener on the otherside.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That article doesnt make sense at all. How many players are happy to bide their time in CC when they could get a guaranteed FG spot and a pay rise?
He's not going to oust Cleary or Luai out of a starting spot anytime soon so he'll essentially be playing CC for the next 3 years.
Maybe he really does love the Panthers and does want to stay but it would be very unusual.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i can both sides to the argument, sometime the grass isnt greener on the otherside.
I agree with that but like I said, with the lure of the familiarity of Barrett as coach and us being a club with on the rise where he could step in and be a major contributor, I think it would be pretty attractive to him.

Surely we're more appealing than the Warriors, Tigers etc..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That article doesnt make sense at all. How many players are happy to bide their time in CC when they could get a guaranteed FG spot and a pay rise?
He's not going to oust Cleary or Luai out of a starting spot anytime soon so he'll essentially be playing CC for the next 3 years.
Maybe he really does love the Panthers and does want to stay but it would be very unusual.
They've mentioned possibly moving Burton into lock in the future to get him in the team somehow but I can't see a career in the middle being appealing to him compared to playing in the halves. He'd be shortening his career by a year or two by moving to the pack.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They've mentioned possibly moving Burton into lock in the future to get him in the team somehow but I can't see a career in the middle being appealing to him compared to playing in the halves. He'd be shortening his career by a year or two by moving to the pack.
Agree. Maybe he could turn into a Wade Graham type lock but if he's a natural 5/8 he'd be used to getting his hands on the ball as much as possible which he wont be able to do as much at lock. Plus a 5/8 would earn more than a lock would so it does seem strange to not play in your preferred position and for less money

Then again if he is a die hard Panthers fan then I can see him staying.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah that never would work. Cleary is so dominate why would you want Burton in the middle getting in the way. They have a good balance now and should stop being greedy you can't keep them all.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree. Maybe he could turn into a Wade Graham type lock but if he's a natural 5/8 he'd be used to getting his hands on the ball as much as possible which he wont be able to do as much at lock. Plus a 5/8 would earn more than a lock would so it does seem strange to not play in your preferred position and for less money

Then again if he is a die hard Panthers fan then I can see him staying.
Graham was always destined to be a backrower though. He was much bigger and a more physical player than Burton. Sure Burton is tall and big enough to play lock but he's more of a traditional half than Graham.

Penrith can't match the offers or guarantee a starting spot in the halves so I can't see him staying.