News Matt Burton wants out

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need to revisit that deal to swap him for Napa immediately if possible. Based on today’s game, Napa has been superseded and is surplus to our requirements ,I don’t care about any perceived financial discrepancy or loss. We won’t lose anything letting him go and What Burton would bring to our team will have us playing in the finals this year

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need to revisit that deal to swap him for Napa immediately if possible. Based on today’s game, Napa has been superseded and is surplus to our requirements ,I don’t care about any perceived financial discrepancy or loss. We won’t lose anything letting him go and What Burton would bring to our team will have us playing in the finals this year
There is no wrong word in this comment. 100%
If it doesn’t happen then geez we are going to be unbeatable in the next 2-3 years.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is no wrong word in this comment. 100%
If it doesn’t happen then geez we are going to be unbeatable in the next 2-3 years.
I honestly think,if we had Burton, We could challenge for a top 4 spot this year, after today. Either way, we are definitely a genuine chance for the 8 now and we will prove a lot of people wrong this year. Even with what is probably the hardest draw of any team

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I honestly think,if we had Burton, We could challenge for a top 4 spot this year, after today. Either way, we are definitely a genuine chance for the 8 now and we will prove a lot of people wrong this year. Even with what is probably the hardest draw of any team
If any team can make Fairy Bread out of a Shit Sandwich it’s us. It’s what we do. I love the challenge and if the players buy in to what We know then that’s us back again.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Agree.

I was also happy with hetho, Renouf and thought Ava actually looked alright. Thompson missing a month. Wasn’t impressed with Ogden.

Napa or Ogden for burton would be fine. Both off books this year.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone watch Burton in last nights trial? He Played the last 30 or so minutes and threw a TA at very end of the game. He didn’t see much ball, put up a few bombs, made a few tackles but didn’t stand out.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt Burton's involvement in the trial for anyone not seen it or just wants to go back and look.

Cheers OP.
Both bombs were perfectly placed for a team mate to come through & challenge at pace, just didnt really happen. Certainly better than those put up by our usual suspects over the last 24 months!

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the big one for me was the kick into the corner than chasing and making the tackle himself.
Yeah that was a nice play. He is a big body, looks ready to play. Assuming he doesn't come over in 21, I hope he gets some serious game time to continue to develop, lobbing here in 22 with further developed skills. My concern for Flange if Burton doesn't get here in 21 is that too much expectation is dropped on him while still very inexperienced & without even the supporting cast he had at the rorters...

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that was a nice play. He is a big body, looks ready to play. Assuming he doesn't come over in 21, I hope he gets some serious game time to continue to develop, lobbing here in 22 with further developed skills. My concern for Flange if Burton doesn't get here in 21 is that too much expectation is dropped on him while still very inexperienced & without even the supporting cast he had at the rorters...
Right now the Flange is the only kicker we have because Avo doesn't have a long kicking game and I don't think Allen has one either. So if the 9's don't step up and do some kicking it's going to be very easy for opposition teams to target the Flange.

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
ah, but there is context to that premiership success... we lost our first game of the finals to the Cowboys... we then had a do-or-die 2nd match of the finals against the Storm without Anasta who was injured and Sherwin put on a masterclass and I think Thurston played off the bench with Maitua starting at five-eighth... then we played the Panthers in the preliminary final and I thought Anasta was poor including bombing a try over the try line when Priddis struck at the ball and Anasta had his eyes closed... and I thought Anasta was poor in the GF with the first try coming to Utai from a good pass from Ryan, the second from Utai's great burrowing and the third to El Masri from Sherwin drifting right across the defensive line

but more generally, clubs need to have an eye to the whole squad and how it is to evolve and not simply on a case by case, player by player basis... for example, and I want Flanagan to be as great a success as possible in our hallowed blue and white, but I think it is clear that the Roosters have calculated that Flanagan was not up to the job and/or had less potential or was a worse fit for their FG team than Lam, Walker and/or Volkmann and so cut him loose to ensure Lam and Walker progressed, got playing opportunities, and were kept... and Flanagan is released early to open up some salary cap space to potentially sign Sualii or re-sign Crichton etc.

Noad and everyone else involved in the club from 2004-2008 deserved to lose their jobs considering how poorly they performed
I agree they should of lost their jobs and i was sceptical of Noad being from News Limited but part from that you have to remember Anasta was there most of the year to get them there and had Anasta on our 17 in a row tour in 2002* (*= before salary cap hit). So again we know what the Roosters want and that’s immediate success. The next after Cronk I feel was always gonna be like a rebound relationship, that poor kid was never gonna be successful and I saw a few Roosters games, he played well and can kick AND GOAL KICK!
It’s hard to have a crystal ball to see who reaches those heights but Thurston has been in trouble a few times and the dogs (I heard something in 2002 Coffs Harbour it was Thurston and an older chick?) and credits the Bulldogs for giving him the opportunity to lead his own team. Thurston as good as he was, could only play well if he was the dominant playmaker and as you pointed out, Shifty was at the height of his powers that year too

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Basically Penrith wanted us to pay $960k for them to release Burton early. That's $650k of Napa's contract, they wanted to pay nothing, plus $250k which is Burton's contract with us, plus reimburse them the $60k that they had already paid Burton. Every cent of which is included in the CAP, which means we use up $960k of our cap and they effectively get a Cap increase of $960k.

Anyone who thinks that we should have accepted the Burton for Napa under those terms swap needs to see a doctor immediately, they are seriously delusional.
Go Dogs

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I agree they should of lost their jobs and i was sceptical of Noad being from News Limited but part from that you have to remember Anasta was there most of the year to get them there and had Anasta on our 17 in a row tour in 2002* (*= before salary cap hit). So again we know what the Roosters want and that’s immediate success. The next after Cronk I feel was always gonna be like a rebound relationship, that poor kid was never gonna be successful and I saw a few Roosters games, he played well and can kick AND GOAL KICK!
It’s hard to have a crystal ball to see who reaches those heights but Thurston has been in trouble a few times and the dogs (I heard something in 2002 Coffs Harbour it was Thurston and an older chick?) and credits the Bulldogs for giving him the opportunity to lead his own team. Thurston as good as he was, could only play well if he was the dominant playmaker and as you pointed out, Shifty was at the height of his powers that year too
I think people forget that Anasta wasn't happy about being the face of the salary cap stuff. I feel he felt it was time to move on and put that behind him.