News Matt Burton wants out

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont know how you could hate the dogs the last few years. We have been shit

Wait til we start winning again. The people that dont like us will come out of the woodwork then.

Personally I dont really notice what commentators like or dislike us. The fact that we dont really have an ex player or administrator in the media probably gives the impression that there isnt much love for us.

Raiders have Daley. Panthers have Alexander. Knights have Johns boys. Parra has Sterlo. Manly has Vautin. Roosters and Storm have Cronk. Cowboys have Thurston. Titans have Meninga and Tallis. Sharks have Ennis.

We might need to do some more media training for our players ....
"Facilities talk with Zap" will be the next big thing.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The raiders let Clyde and Stuart go as after superleague ended they couldn’t pay the ‘overs’ they were on in 97 they had a few juniors coming through and didn’t want to lose them as Stuart and Clyde were in ‘twilight’ of careers
End of their careers, but almost won us a comp. I loved seeing those 2 blokes in our colours.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stuart and Clyde were good for us, even if it was in their twilight. If it weren't for that intercept Stuart threw against Melbourne, we would have made the Grand Final that year.
I was there in 99, it was a grubber kick into the in goal and was picked up by bloody Matty Geyer who ran the length of the field to score almost on full time. It was bad luck and nothing else, I was shattered for a month after that game especially seeing them beat the shitty Dragons in the GF, should have been us..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was there in 99, it was a grubber kick into the in goal and was picked up by bloody Matty Geyer who ran the length of the field to score almost on full time. It was bad luck and nothing else, I was shattered for a month after that game especially seeing them beat the shitty Dragons in the GF, should have been us..
Yeah I remember now it was a kick not a pass. All I remembered was Matt Geyer running the length of the field when we had the game wrapped up.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is exactly correct, at the time Thurston had been in abit of trouble, Anasta was a clean skin, already represented at origin i think? The club chose to go in the direction of Anasta instead of Thurston.
but Anasta then left the following year... hardly great forward thinking from the club

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn’t Thurston allegedly involved with the Coffs Harbour allegations and kinda getting a ‘bad rep’ on the drink? There was also some ‘incidents’ at the cowboys until some high up officials told him to ‘pull his head in’ or he would quickly become one of those ‘what ever happen to that bloke?’
I think the supposed off field issues with Thurston were overrated

Thurston struggled a bit when introduced to FG and in particular, the physicality of it on his small frame... in that regard, Anasta had the advantage having the size to play in the pack

at the time, Sherwin was the dominant playmaker and had a great kicking game and I can understand wanting to partner him with a bigger Anasta rather than a similarly small and potentially defensive liability Thurston... unfortunately, Sherwin became erratic from 2005 onwards

some of it is luck or a lack thereof... Thurston started the 2004 season as the starting five-eighth but broke his leg(?) In round 5 or so... Anasta then moved back to five-eighth and Thurston only came back into the team when there were injuries

finally, with a restrictive salary cap and a team loaded with talent, we bled players to other clubs for 3-4 years

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
how about extending Anasta's deal before letting Thurston walk out the door?
We tried but he thought he was worth Freddy money so we let him walk ...to the Roosters for basically the same amount I think750-800k

Malla

Reaction score
I think you'll find that the current NRL rules dont allow for loan deals like you are suggesting. Last year there were 2 types of loan deals :

1. Harry Grant/Momorovski loan deal ;
2. Warriors players loan deals

The Grant/Momorovski was fixed for a season. There was no allowance for either player to return. So even if Smith got injured Grant couldnt come back.

The Warriors loan deals were a one-off because of Covid and some of their players choosing to go home. Clubs could lend them players but were allowed to get them back if required. This type of loan deal wont be allowed this year so if the panthers "loan" us Burton it would have to be for the full year.

Either way it aint happening. The Panthers have some serious cap issues. They have 5 spots to fill by 30 June and have fuck all salary cap space. They actually wanted 2 of our players in return for Burton so they could fill an extra spot on their roster. But we would have had to contribute some of the freight on those players.

Also I think they wanted middle forwards because they are thin there. We cant afford to lose 2 middles
You are correct with the middle forwards. They were pushing hard for Napa but it just doesn’t make sense from their end because they let go of Hetherington early and a couple others. I don’t know the validity of this rumour but Hoppa might be on the table now.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You are correct with the middle forwards. They were pushing hard for Napa but it just doesn’t make sense from their end because they let go of Hetherington early and a couple others. I don’t know the validity of this rumour but Hoppa might be on the table now.
We have 0 centre depth, I highly doubt Hoppa would be released now.

Malla

Reaction score
We have 0 centre depth, I highly doubt Hoppa would be released now.
I scoffed at it when I was told
However it makes sense if you consider he’s off contract, More than likely won’t be resigned next year, and if panthers are dead set about playing Burton at centre then this would be what they need.
Anyway, don’t think it’ll happen.

Malla

Reaction score
I know for a fact that Anasta verbally agreed to stay before breaking his word the cuntrash.
Yeah man he absolutely fucked us. I remember it clear as day, even the ‘fuck the roosters’ at the parade.
He literally ruined our team. Had JT stayed with the team we had then.. would have gone to another 3-4 grand finals easily. I mute the TV whenever he is commentating a Dogs game.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep they are definitely in some trouble. Whats the go with the 3 days to fill 4 spots ?

I am pretty sure that they wont allow the Warriors to do those deals again this year. The relocation was sprung on them last year whereas this year they have known all along that they will have to spend a fair portion of the season in Australia
Nrl.com reporting that Panthers have promoted Izack Tago, J'maine Hopgood and Taylan May to top 30 squad. Plus Luai resigned. This should make Burtons switch more likely