News Matt Burton wants out

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could live with that.
I would also add (if it got the loan agreed to) that he can't play against us for them or for us vs them...only an issue should we come together in the finals which I dont see us making in 21 anyway..
I think you'll find that the current NRL rules dont allow for loan deals like you are suggesting. Last year there were 2 types of loan deals :

1. Harry Grant/Momorovski loan deal ;
2. Warriors players loan deals

The Grant/Momorovski was fixed for a season. There was no allowance for either player to return. So even if Smith got injured Grant couldnt come back.

The Warriors loan deals were a one-off because of Covid and some of their players choosing to go home. Clubs could lend them players but were allowed to get them back if required. This type of loan deal wont be allowed this year so if the panthers "loan" us Burton it would have to be for the full year.

Either way it aint happening. The Panthers have some serious cap issues. They have 5 spots to fill by 30 June and have fuck all salary cap space. They actually wanted 2 of our players in return for Burton so they could fill an extra spot on their roster. But we would have had to contribute some of the freight on those players.

Also I think they wanted middle forwards because they are thin there. We cant afford to lose 2 middles

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think you'll find that the current NRL rules dont allow for loan deals like you are suggesting. Last year there were 2 types of loan deals :

1. Harry Grant/Momorovski loan deal ;
2. Warriors players loan deals

The Grant/Momorovski was fixed for a season. There was no allowance for either player to return. So even if Smith got injured Grant couldnt come back.

The Warriors loan deals were a one-off because of Covid and some of their players choosing to go home. Clubs could lend them players but were allowed to get them back if required. This type of loan deal wont be allowed this year so if the panthers "loan" us Burton it would have to be for the full year.

Either way it aint happening. The Panthers have some serious cap issues. They have 5 spots to fill by 30 June and have fuck all salary cap space. They actually wanted 2 of our players in return for Burton so they could fill an extra spot on their roster. But we would have had to contribute some of the freight on those players.

Also I think they wanted middle forwards because they are thin there. We cant afford to lose 2 middles
It's going to be interesting to see what Penrith are going to do to fill their roster. They've got three days to either recruit or promote 4 players and I can't see them finding 4 external recruits even if they've got a decent amount of cap space. It seems like they've messed up a bit from where I'm standing and makes it seem unlikely that we'll be getting Burton in time for the season opener.

And the Warriors loan deals raise an interesting question. With Covid still in play I imagine that Warriors players are going to have travel restrictions again this year. I wonder if they're going to require players again if home sickness kicks in again for their squad.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see what Penrith are going to do to fill their roster. They've got three days to either recruit or promote 4 players and I can't see them finding 4 external recruits even if they've got a decent amount of cap space. It seems like they've messed up a bit from where I'm standing and makes it seem unlikely that we'll be getting Burton in time for the season opener.

And the Warriors loan deals raise an interesting question. With Covid still in play I imagine that Warriors players are going to have travel restrictions again this year. I wonder if they're going to require players again if home sickness kicks in again for their squad.
Yep they are definitely in some trouble. Whats the go with the 3 days to fill 4 spots ?

I am pretty sure that they wont allow the Warriors to do those deals again this year. The relocation was sprung on them last year whereas this year they have known all along that they will have to spend a fair portion of the season in Australia

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Hands(hooker/half) and a couple of forwards should be promoted.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hands(hooker/half) and a couple of forwards should be promoted.
Yep I am sure you have got some good youngsters to fill the top 30.

More to the point though is that it will be 4 rookies with little or no NRL experience. Alot of people on here think the panthers have got enough depth to let Burton go but alot of that depth is untested at the top level. Burton provides cover for the halves, centres and backrowers.

And he provides great depth for a bargain price

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
If

More to the point though is that it will be 4 rookies with little or no NRL experience. Alot of people on here think the panthers have got enough depth to let Burton go but alot of that depth is untested at the top level. Burton provides cover for the halves, centres and backrowers.

If Burton plays center this year it will only increase his defence

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep they are definitely in some trouble. Whats the go with the 3 days to fill 4 spots ?

I am pretty sure that they wont allow the Warriors to do those deals again this year. The relocation was sprung on them last year whereas this year they have known all along that they will have to spend a fair portion of the season in Australia
The NRL requires 29 of the 30 man squad to be filled by march 1. So if they've currently only got a top 25 named they're going to have to make do with the best they've got on the books.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The old hands Oldpup soft hands and the good old golfball and ropes training
Every roster needs some.

True though if spots 25 - 30 play you've got a serious injury curse happening.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
G.A and L.Daley have serious issues with the dogs.. Definitely bad blood somewhere there.
Yeah could even be something left field that caused it, Like Daley had the shits after Clyde and Stuart left Canberra for the Dogs, and Alexander maybe around Luke Goodwin. Doesn't take much.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah could even be something left field that caused it, Like Daley had the shits after Clyde and Stuart left Canberra for the Dogs, and Alexander maybe around Luke Goodwin. Doesn't take much.
I dont know how you could hate the dogs the last few years. We have been shit

Wait til we start winning again. The people that dont like us will come out of the woodwork then.

Personally I dont really notice what commentators like or dislike us. The fact that we dont really have an ex player or administrator in the media probably gives the impression that there isnt much love for us.

Raiders have Daley. Panthers have Alexander. Knights have Johns boys. Parra has Sterlo. Manly has Vautin. Roosters and Storm have Cronk. Cowboys have Thurston. Titans have Meninga and Tallis. Sharks have Ennis.

We might need to do some more media training for our players ....

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember M.Geyer telling a story about Bullfrog trying to poach him from the riff... Maybe Brandy is dirty from back then or maybe Brandy really wanted to be a bulldog but never got the phone call, same with Daley.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember M.Geyer telling a story about Bullfrog trying to poach him from the riff... Maybe Brandy is dirty from back then or maybe Brandy really wanted to be a bulldog but never got the phone call, same with Daley.
The raiders let Clyde and Stuart go as after superleague ended they couldn’t pay the ‘overs’ they were on in 97 they had a few juniors coming through and didn’t want to lose them as Stuart and Clyde were in ‘twilight’ of careers

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know how you could hate the dogs the last few years. We have been shit

Wait til we start winning again. The people that dont like us will come out of the woodwork then.

Personally I dont really notice what commentators like or dislike us. The fact that we dont really have an ex player or administrator in the media probably gives the impression that there isnt much love for us.

Raiders have Daley. Panthers have Alexander. Knights have Johns boys. Parra has Sterlo. Manly has Vautin. Roosters and Storm have Cronk. Cowboys have Thurston. Titans have Meninga and Tallis. Sharks have Ennis.

We might need to do some more media training for our players ....
I think this year Ennis will put his ‘dogs hat’ on after a few wins... so will Anasta hahaha

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The raiders let Clyde and Stuart go as after superleague ended they couldn’t pay the ‘overs’ they were on in 97 they had a few juniors coming through and didn’t want to lose them as Stuart and Clyde were in ‘twilight’ of careers
Oh no doubt Stuart and Clyde received the retirement funds from the dogs.. I reckon Daley is just a salty ***** who always loves going against the grain. I listen to him every morning on the radio and in all honesty he can certainly make no sense 3/4 of the time.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Oh no doubt Stuart and Clyde received the retirement funds from the dogs.. I reckon Daley is just a salty ***** who always loves going against the grain. I listen to him every morning on the radio and in all honesty he can certainly make no sense 3/4 of the time.
Stuart and Clyde were good for us, even if it was in their twilight. If it weren't for that intercept Stuart threw against Melbourne, we would have made the Grand Final that year.