News Matt Burton wants out

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ok I’m not a junkie but c’mon man give us some news about Burton please...I’m hanging even if a new story rehashed will do
How about a Bulldogs legend!

‘Stupid to let him go’: Anasta weighs in on Dogs’ standoff with Panthers over Burton

Bulldogs legend Braith Anasta knows the Bulldogs are pushing hard for young gun Matt Burton for 2021, but he can’t see the Panthers letting him leave any time soon.

The 20-year-old is set to join former Panthers assistant and new Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett at Belmore in 2022, but is caught in a tug of war between the two clubs this season.

“The Panthers would be stupid to let go of him because you need depth and if one of your big guns in Cleary or Luai go down, you’ve got arguably the best back-up half in the competition coming through,” Anasta told Foxsports.com.au.
“You would be silly to offload him right? It is a long year. You are going to have injuries. They didn’t have many last year, which is why they did so well, but if you do they want to be ready.”

Burton has scored three tries in six games for the Panthers since his debut in 2019, but has been told he is vying for a spot in the centres in 2021.

However with Cleary and Luai in the halves and Brent Naden and Stephen Crichton in the centres an injury looks to be the only way Burton can break into the starting team.
Anasta revealed the Bulldogs are trying everything at their disposal to lure Burton to the club early, but concedes it will be a very difficult task.

“I know for a fact the Bulldogs are hunting him hard and they want him now,” Anasta said.

“They have got some artillery there and some power and they could make it happen and if I was the Bulldogs I would be saying go and do it, but good luck!”
Panthers coach Ivan Cleary would prefer to keep Burton as an insurance policy should one of his stars go down or need a rest in a long 25-round regular season.

“Possibly if they get to the end of the Origin period and they are fit and healthy they could let him go,” Anasta said.

“But if I’m the Panthers, I’m not letting him go and if I’m the Bulldogs I’m doing everything I can to get him and that is what is happening right now.

“Time will tell, but the key is the Panthers and whether they let him go or not. The power is in their hands.”

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

‘Stupid to let him go’: Anasta weighs in on Dogs’ standoff with Panthers over Burton

Bulldogs legend Braith Anasta knows the Bulldogs are pushing hard for young gun Matt Burton for 2021, but he can’t see the Panthers letting him leave any time soon.

The 20-year-old is set to join former Panthers assistant and new Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett at Belmore in 2022, but is caught in a tug of war between the two clubs this season.

“The Panthers would be stupid to let go of him because you need depth and if one of your big guns in Cleary or Luai go down, you’ve got arguably the best back-up half in the competition coming through,” Anasta told Foxsports.com.au.
“You would be silly to offload him right? It is a long year. You are going to have injuries. They didn’t have many last year, which is why they did so well, but if you do they want to be ready.”

Burton has scored three tries in six games for the Panthers since his debut in 2019, but has been told he is vying for a spot in the centres in 2021.

However with Cleary and Luai in the halves and Brent Naden and Stephen Crichton in the centres an injury looks to be the only way Burton can break into the starting team.
Anasta revealed the Bulldogs are trying everything at their disposal to lure Burton to the club early, but concedes it will be a very difficult task.

“I know for a fact the Bulldogs are hunting him hard and they want him now,” Anasta said.

“They have got some artillery there and some power and they could make it happen and if I was the Bulldogs I would be saying go and do it, but good luck!”
Panthers coach Ivan Cleary would prefer to keep Burton as an insurance policy should one of his stars go down or need a rest in a long 25-round regular season.

“Possibly if they get to the end of the Origin period and they are fit and healthy they could let him go,” Anasta said.

“But if I’m the Panthers, I’m not letting him go and if I’m the Bulldogs I’m doing everything I can to get him and that is what is happening right now.

“Time will tell, but the key is the Panthers and whether they let him go or not. The power is in their hands.”
Thanks mate much appreciated but read that one...and it should be Anasta the dog not dogs legend...bloody whinger...like me....c’mon man I know the arguments and the Panthers are in their right to keep him but but....c’mon man...make this year more interesting

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thanks mate much appreciated but read that one...and it should be Anasta the dog not dogs legend...bloody whinger...like me....c’mon man I know the arguments and the Panthers are in their right to keep him but but....c’mon man...make this year more interesting
Maybe winner round 2 gets Burto. Ivan and Barrett are betting using players as currency.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Anasta a Bulldogs legend?

Far from it and a piece of shit. He cost us JT.

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Maybe winner round 2 gets Burto. Ivan and Barrett are betting using players as currency.
Hehehe I like it oldpanther nice one. I’m hoping ur right I’ll take anything even after Origin as silly as it sounds just get that kid here...BTW forgot to mention (bit slow I am but better late than never) it’s good you’re here to provide another perspective, some footy knowledge and some funny banter mate welcome to the nuthouse...I mean The Kennel

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the rumour started because the ARU have asked everyone to take a 60% pay cut, whereas NRL players took a 6% pay cut. So Vunavalu would likely be getting less than his salary with Melbourne last season. Whether he returns or not, I don't know but that's why it's being reported.
Wasnt that announced like in April or something though? Would have thought if he were angling out it would have happened last year but interesting as he signed at the end of 2019 for 2021. See if he gets some game time coming up anyway, that may want to sway him back to league.

Tigers to come in with the standard 800k offer if he wants to come back haha

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
Wasnt that announced like in April or something though? Would have thought if he were angling out it would have happened last year but interesting as he signed at the end of 2019 for 2021. See if he gets some game time coming up anyway, that may want to sway him back to league.

Tigers to come in with the standard 800k offer if he wants to come back haha
I'd cap salaries in 4 tiers rookie,mature veteran and star then extra funds and gate takings could be implemented into other avenues

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep.
I am not sure why Ivan’s name is getting dragged thru the mud here. I mean he might have some say, but it’s the board that are being gronks. In particular Greg Alexander. I think the last thing Cleary wants are distractions in a premiership contending year. Let’s be absolutely honest and frank here - Burton is not going to play a major part in Panthers winning the premiership. He could fill in every now and then if needed, but he won’t see any playing time if their best 17 are on the field; and Cleary knows this but yeah this is just the panthers board being ***** for lack of a better term.
Greg Alexander has always hated the Bulldogs.

Rarely if ever tips us to win and rarely if ever says anything positive about our play. Same as Corey Parker.

Remember the game in round 2 2009 whe we jagged a last minute win at Penrith and then we were deducted 2 competition points for having 14 players on the field for all of 5 seconds after we messed up an interchange that had minimal impact on the game.

Who was in the commentary box that night screaming blue murder?

GA of course.

Penrith board member using his position at Fox to get what he wanted. Cost us the minor premiership. Classic conflict of interest.

Then again conflicts of interest are regular in our game.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Greg Alexander has always hated the Bulldogs.

Rarely if ever tips us to win and rarely if ever says anything positive about our play. Same as Corey Parker.

Remember the game in round 2 2009 whe we jagged a last minute win at Penrith and then we were deducted 2 competition points for having 14 players on the field for all of 5 seconds after we messed up an interchange that had minimal impact on the game.

Who was in the commentary box that night screaming blue murder?

GA of course.

Penrith board member using his position at Fox to get what he wanted. Cost us the minor premiership. Classic conflict of interest.

Then again conflicts of interest are regular in our game.
Greg Alexander wanted to play with Canterbury but the rules at the time allowed every club to have a maximum of 13 imports. Alexander would have been the 14th. So he has been looking for revenge ever since.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Bulldogs legend???!!! He is more of a Roosters legend & that is a stretch. Certainly not a fan favourite & doesn't seem to even like the Dogs judging by what he says on Fox.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
a lot of the blame rests with Folkes in truth, unfortunately
Wasn’t Thurston allegedly involved with the Coffs Harbour allegations and kinda getting a ‘bad rep’ on the drink? There was also some ‘incidents’ at the cowboys until some high up officials told him to ‘pull his head in’ or he would quickly become one of those ‘what ever happen to that bloke?’

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wasn’t Thurston allegedly involved with the Coffs Harbour allegations and kinda getting a ‘bad rep’ on the drink? There was also some ‘incidents’ at the cowboys until some high up officials told him to ‘pull his head in’ or he would quickly become one of those ‘what ever happen to that bloke?’
that is exactly correct, at the time Thurston had been in abit of trouble, Anasta was a clean skin, already represented at origin i think? The club chose to go in the direction of Anasta instead of Thurston.