News Matt Burton wants out

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know we are light in terms of traditional props, but with the game speeding up,I think we would be better served with more mobile faster players rather than Napa. He offers little in the way of go forward, he is slow and not particularly skilful. What Burton could offer the team would far exceed any of Napa’s meagre offerings.
I think we may have signed a prop from the British comp too. But haven’t seen it confirmed though
I think you will still need big boppers. I h8ghly doubt that will ever change. You need big bodies marking up on big bodies in defense, otherwise you would just get trampled.
Napa is purmost experienced prop, and we need some experienced heads in our pack. We just nees to hope he comes good this year!!!

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, id prefer to sign burton without that moral deficiency! I fucking hate players who call this shit and bail on their club. Admittedly the Burton case is a little different since he will be wearing our colours next year regardless, but id rather this play out by having Penrif come to their senses and just do the right thing, not by Burton having a hissy fit about it.
Totally agree with you.

As I said in a previous post -
The best thing to come out of all of this is that Matt has been turning up with the right attitude at training which is a testament to his character.

Not only are we getting a great footballer, it seems we are getting a genuinely great person with great morals, values & professionalism.

Lord knows this is the type of people we need at our club to be successful.

Well done Matty Burton, I applaud you.

Malla

Reaction score
Whispers that Vunivalu might be going back to the storm... We might be able to pinch JAC for this season if things work out
I think it depends if one of the other wingers they bought on hits the ground running. Reimis Smith or Jennings and there’s another winger I’m forgetting.
Would still prefer burton here but having JAC would definitely be awesome.

Malla

Reaction score
It's actually the Penrith board being c***s. Ivan is the patsy.
Yep.
I am not sure why Ivan’s name is getting dragged thru the mud here. I mean he might have some say, but it’s the board that are being gronks. In particular Greg Alexander. I think the last thing Cleary wants are distractions in a premiership contending year. Let’s be absolutely honest and frank here - Burton is not going to play a major part in Panthers winning the premiership. He could fill in every now and then if needed, but he won’t see any playing time if their best 17 are on the field; and Cleary knows this but yeah this is just the panthers board being ***** for lack of a better term.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Totally agree with you.

The best thing to come out of all of this is that Matt has been turning up with the right attitude at training which is a testament to his character.

Not only are we getting a great footballer, it seems we are getting a genuinely great person with great morals, values & professionalism.

great post, 100% agree

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Totally agree with you.

Thats exactly right. He made a big call to change clubs when the panthers are going through a definite premiership window, with so many great juniors coming through the club! This in itself says to me that he is coming to our club for the right reasons. The way he has carried himself throughout the process is another big tick to his character.
A club is as much about good pepple as it is talent. Hansen would no doubt agree, and would no doubt be recommending that Barrett continues to recruit such people.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it depends if one of the other wingers they bought on hits the ground running. Reimis Smith or Jennings and there’s another winger I’m forgetting.
Would still prefer burton here but having JAC would definitely be awesome.
I don’t think the rumour about Vunavalu is remotely accurate. He was on $400k at the storm and went to rugby for more than double that

He ain’t coming back to league. Same with Radradra. They are earning too much

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats exactly right. He made a big call to change clubs when the panthers are going through a definite premiership window, with so many great juniors coming through the club! This in itself says to me that he is coming to our club for the right reasons. The way he has carried himself throughout the process is another big tick to his character.
A club is as much about good pepple as it is talent. Hansen would no doubt agree, and would no doubt be recommending that Barrett continues to recruit such people.
Hansen had his fair share of prime dickheads when they came to the All Blacks, but they weren't after they spent time with him. That's his primary skill, building a culture that leaves no room for anyone who doesn't buy into it. Hansen himself was a hot head, prone to outbursts of confrontational behaviour, he made Maguire look like an amateur. He worked on himself, searching out ways to improve, and he uses that learning with his players. If you like reading I strongly recommend The Jersey by Peter Bills, it contains many of Hansen's views on building team culture, and Legacy by James Kerr, it's more about leadership but the Hensenisms still shine through.

Go Dogs

Malla

Reaction score
I don’t think the rumour about Vunavalu is remotely accurate. He was on $400k at the storm and went to rugby for more than double that

Not agreeing with the rumour I’m just saying it would not be as simple as Vunavalu going back to storm and Storm releasing JAC lol

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I think the rumour started because the ARU have asked everyone to take a 60% pay cut, whereas NRL players took a 6% pay cut. So Vunavalu would likely be getting less than his salary with Melbourne last season. Whether he returns or not, I don't know but that's why it's being reported.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hansen had his fair share of prime dickheads when they came to the All Blacks, but they weren't after they spent time with him. That's his primary skill, building a culture that leaves no room for anyone who doesn't buy into it. Hansen himself was a hot head, prone to outbursts of confrontational behaviour, he made Maguire look like an amateur. He worked on himself, searching out ways to improve, and he uses that learning with his players. If you like reading I strongly recommend The Jersey by Peter Bills, it contains many of Hansen's views on building team culture, and Legacy by James Kerr, it's more about leadership but the Hensenisms still shine through.

Go Dogs
Sounds interesting. Ill definitely give it a read 8f i come accross it.
Hansen may well of had his issues, but certainly these days you would think he knows the value of good people within a team. And no doubt Barrett knows this also.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If you like reading I strongly recommend The Jersey by Peter Bills, it contains many of Hansen's views on building team culture, and Legacy by James Kerr, it's more about leadership but the Hensenisms still shine through.
Sounds interesting. Ill definitely give it a read 8f i come accross it.
Hansen may well of had his issues, but certainly these days you would think he knows the value of good people within a team. And no doubt Barrett knows this also.
The Jersey is well worth the read, I didn't find Legacy quite as good. My take away included Hansen's willingness and ability to take "a boy from the hood" and turn him into an All Black.

Go Dogs

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the rumour started because the ARU have asked everyone to take a 60% pay cut, whereas NRL players took a 6% pay cut. So Vunavalu would likely be getting less than his salary with Melbourne last season. Whether he returns or not, I don't know but that's why it's being reported.
The union player cuts were last year. This year the test payments have been halved from $12k to $6k.

But Vunavalu is a contracted player so he doesnt have to take a cut on his contracted amount. I think he signed for something like $750k and then his test bonuses go on top of that. So if he plays 15 tests he earns another $90k. Potentially he could lose out on $90k but he will still end up earning heaps more in rugby.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The union player cuts were last year. This year the test payments have been halved from $12k to $6k.

But Vunavalu is a contracted player so he doesnt have to take a cut on his contracted amount. I think he signed for something like $750k and then his test bonuses go on top of that. So if he plays 15 tests he earns another $90k. Potentially he could lose out on $90k but he will still end up earning heaps more in rugby.

Fair enough. I thought I read that they were this year too.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough. I thought I read that they were this year too.
All good

I listened to some rugby bloke on the radio last month and he was questioning why rugby australia is paying blokes like Vunavalu and Koribete $850k a year. I couldnt give a shit about that but you can see why wingers go there because the max they can earn in the NRL is $500k

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All good

I listened to some rugby bloke on the radio last month and he was questioning why rugby australia is paying blokes like Vunavalu and Koribete $850k a year. I couldnt give a shit about that but you can see why wingers go there because the max they can earn in the NRL is $500k
Yeah it's insane. It shows how desperate they are for signings and how the outside back stocks through the ARU haven't been up to scratch.