News Matt Burton wants out

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why? Sometimes you need to force your way out of it’s in your best interests. Being nice about it makes no sense as he essentially loses a year of his career when he’s NRL ready.
Penrith are being hypocrites here as they have both signed and released players under contract when it suits them. Burton being willing to sit out would force their hand. He’s only useful to them if he’s willing to play backup
It doesn't matter what Burton wants or doesn't want he is under contract!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what Burton wants or doesn't want he is under contract!
Then why did we release so many players under contract? The reality is there are many examples of unhappy players requesting releases and having them granted so spare me that nonsense

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton is not doing enough to help his own cause... unfortunately, one has to make it super clear even if he doesn’t really mean it... enter Aloai, he’s publicly stated he will never wear the Tigers jersey again, that will pretty much do it.
Personally, id prefer to sign burton without that moral deficiency! I fucking hate players who call this shit and bail on their club. Admittedly the Burton case is a little different since he will be wearing our colours next year regardless, but id rather this play out by having Penrif come to their senses and just do the right thing, not by Burton having a hissy fit about it.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why? Sometimes you need to force your way out of it’s in your best interests. Being nice about it makes no sense as he essentially loses a year of his career when he’s NRL ready.
Penrith are being hypocrites here as they have both signed and released players under contract when it suits them. Burton being willing to sit out would force their hand. He’s only useful to them if he’s willing to play backup
It could also play out completely different. Imagine cleary sustains a season ending injury, and then Burton plays halfback for the majority of the season.
Like everyone else, i would love to see him in our lineup this year, but id also like to see Averilo have a year to develop. I want to see if he has the goods. This way he forces Barretts hand next year, and gets a starting spot in the spine.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Personally, id prefer to sign burton without that moral deficiency! I fucking hate players who call this shit and bail on their club. Admittedly the Burton case is a little different since he will be wearing our colours next year regardless, but id rather this play out by having Penrif come to their senses and just do the right thing, not by Burton having a hissy fit about it.
I get what you're saying but demanding a release when you're still playing FG every week is very different from demanding a release when you'll likely be playing reserves all year and played less than five first grade games last year..

Regardless, I think it's admirable that Burton hasn't requested a release as it speaks to his character and bodes well for us in the future. But we all wish it could somehow get worked out for this season. If it doesn't, he'll be well worth the wait.. I just hope he gets through the season unscathed.

If he dominates Reserves like I think he will, the media will be hyping him up even more as he's way too good to be playing Reserves.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We had a chance to swap him for Napa and didn’t . . . WTF ?? We want Napa out, we wanted Burton in for 2021, we had that opportunity and didn’t think that was a good option. it’s inexplicable
If your forwards dont lay a platform, your halves have no room to move. Like it or not, we need Napa this year. We also need him to fire, as unlikely as that may seem.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont think Burton is that type of player which i am happy for.
Correct, he’s a cleanskin which is a good thing but if he or the club are wanting this to happen in 2021, someone has to be an a$$hole

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get what you're saying but demanding a release when you're still playing FG every week is very different from demanding a release when you'll likely be playing reserves all year and played less than five first grade games last year..

Regardless, I think it's admirable that Burton hasn't requested a release as it speaks to his character and bodes well for us in the future. But we all wish it could somehow get worked out for this season. If it doesn't, he'll be well worth the wait.. I just hope he gets through the season unscathed.

If he dominates Reserves like I think he will, the media will be hyping him up even more as he's way too good to be playing Reserves.
He could also end up playing the majority of the year in fg.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Successful clubs win in both grades, Burton will not be a Bulldog in 2021.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Whispers that Vunivalu might be going back to the storm... We might be able to pinch JAC for this season if things work out
Storm would likely keep him and run with
1. Papi
2. Vunivalu
3. Smith
4. Olam
5. Addo-Carr
But would be great if it worked out

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Burton has asked for a release via his manager. It was in the news 2 weeks ago

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If your forwards dont lay a platform, your halves have no room to move. Like it or not, we need Napa this year. We also need him to fire, as unlikely as that may seem.
I know we are light in terms of traditional props, but with the game speeding up,I think we would be better served with more mobile faster players rather than Napa. He offers little in the way of go forward, he is slow and not particularly skilful. What Burton could offer the team would far exceed any of Napa’s meagre offerings.
I think we may have signed a prop from the British comp too. But haven’t seen it confirmed though

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Or maybe he's been practising at hooker and he's more in the middle of the field and therefore it only gets to row 3....could be a decoy?
Baz's mind games!

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Then why did we release so many players under contract? The reality is there are many examples of unhappy players requesting releases and having them granted so spare me that nonsense
Such nonsense! :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: